• Drinking Buddies

May 18, 2011

Not these guys:

But, how fun would THAT be!?!

After the Party Ready event, I headed over to The Ginger Man to meet a few drinking buddies.

I first fell in love with The Ginger Man back in April when Theordora and I spent the afternoon carb-loading for the More|Fitness Women’s Half Marathon. It’s a chill, laid-back place with a ton of amazing beers on the menu—what’s not to like about it?

Within seconds of arriving at The Ginger Man, Gracie walked in the door to join me for a beer. She works right around the corner, so our timing worked out perfectly.

My first beer of the afternoon was a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Style Ale, which was rich and malty with aromas of caramel, toffee, and a little bit of citrus. The flavor was really interesting. I guess bittersweet is the best way to describe it. At first, the flavor was sweet and malty, but then hoppy and somewhat bitter at the end.

Gracie and I talked non-stop for about an hour until she needed to go back to work. I drank alone (for about 5 minutes) until my friend, Matthew, joined me for a beer.

My second beer was a Pretty Things December 6, 1855, which was malty, hoppy, and delicious.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
    As some of you know, or don’t know at all, we here at Pretty Things enjoy our history. Yes folks, and we like our history and we like it weeds and all. This is why when we were faced with the option of teaming up with Ron Pattinson (our very favorite brewing Historian), we jumped at the chance. After all, Ron’s “afflict the comfortable” brewing research style takes assumed beer styles and flips them on their heads. This time around Ron’s taken us back to colonial India of the 1850s where the rum-drinking troops (or “squaddies”) are dying at alarming rates. A beer figured into their survival but it isn’t what you’re thinking. The recipe that we’re using dates back to a brewsheet from December 6th, 1855. To be specific, this was a beer brewed at Barclay Perkins in London. 4.5 pounds of hops per barrel! That’s a double IPA people. That’s more than some of the hoppiest MODERN IPAs out there. Our Once Upon a Time 1855 EIP is dry, malty good with a substantial pipe-tobacco bitterness, dark garnet colour and 6% abv.

A little while later, Ali joined us for a beer. I love that I had so many drinking buddies in NYC! I had a great time chatting with Matt and Ali, but, before I knew it, it was time to head back to Boston.

On my walk to Penn Station, I stopped by Pret to buy a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, which was actually really good. I’m still surprised by its amazingness. I didn’t expect a to-go sandwich to taste so delicious.

Now, I’m on the train headed home. I’ll write a full recap of the Party Ready event tomorrow. After a busy day and drinking two beers, I don’t think I could do it the justice it deserves!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Such a fun day! I love how you just sat and let the drinking buddies come to you! My kind of girl!

lynn @ the actor's diet May 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

like the name of that place. and yes, i love when a to-go meal impresses like that!

Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN May 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I am SO jealous of your life today. A good beer and good company would do me alot of good right now! NYC wouldn’t be so bad either ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Ya gotta love meeting up and just having a great conversation. Enjoy your ride back.

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life May 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I don’t like beer (I know, gasp!), but that sandwich looks tasty! I’ve heard Pret is really good, but I’ve never been. Looks like an awesome day :)

Pixie May 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Kristen you took the words out of my mouth. Pret is really good, I too was surprised how much I like the sandwiches there.

Mayumi May 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

What a fun day! Cannot wait for the full recap. Pretty Things December 6, 1855 sounds SO good!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your day, such an exciting experience!

Ali May 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

So great catching up with you (and lovely meeting Matt — you know, in case he’s reading this). Glad you loved the sandwich, too! Have a safe trip back and see you in June!

Kristen @ Change of Pace May 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm

What a great day! Can’t wait to read your next post.

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm

That sandwich looks delicious!

A day trip to NYC to see Tom and Kelly — sounds like a good day to me!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Sounds like a great day. Busy, friends, and two beers to cap it off. Cant wait for the recap :)

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey May 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love The Ginger Man!!
    Ah, New York. You are lucky to be so close. It’s a 2 hr flight for me (or a 12 hour drive, but really? C’mon). :)

~

Mary H. May 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Just started reading your book! I ordered it right away, but haven’t had a chance to sit down and read! My husband and I are also thinking of taking a trip to Boston this summer, so I am definitely going to look at your previous posts for restaurant ideas!

Gina @ Runningtothekitchen May 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Love Pret’s sandwiches. Sounds like a fun day, can’t wait to hear more about it.

Roz May 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

What a fun day. I’m now officially craving a beer! :)

McKayla (green groats) May 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm

That looks like a chill place! I often judge shops and resturants by their signs/logos….and that name and font makes that place seem really fun!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm

What a fun day!!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I have hardly gone to any bars since I’ve turned 21. It actually sounds kind of fun!

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking May 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed Pret A Manager, it’s really good and they use quite a few organic ingredients. :-)
    Can’t wait to see the party post.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I don’t blame you, rest up and safe travels home!

Can’t wait to read the full recap! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Holy YUM.. at the beers and the sandwich! And what great company :)

Samantha May 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm

That bar looks awesome!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Girl" May 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I definitely need to stop by the Ginger Man! Seems like my kind of place :-). So great that you got to have drinks with so many people. Can’t wait for the recap!

Khushboo May 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm

what a quick trip! Cant wait to hear the recap!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm

What a fun laid-back evening :) Can’t wait to hear about the event!

Alaina May 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Looks like the fun comes to you! Can’t wait to hear about the event!

Shannon May 19, 2011 at 12:12 am

That place looks amazing!!! A good beer hangout is so hard to find sometimes! And your sandwich looks rockin!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 19, 2011 at 12:48 am

those glasses are so cool! not to mention the brews….I’m jealous – American has some awesome microbrews! some day I will try :)

Jen (the little jogger) May 19, 2011 at 1:15 am

Why are toasted sandwiches so darn good? Hopefully you had a nice ride back. Can’t wait to see your recap from your event!

Crista May 19, 2011 at 3:06 am

can’t wait to read the full recap. PS I put a link to your blog in my post today, I hope you don’t mind. After just discovering your blog I’ve found it to be not only inspirational but… really enjoyable, like catching up with a yoga class friend or a fellow running buddy. ha! Cheers!

Ashley May 19, 2011 at 4:36 am

Ginger man is right near my old office! Good times there =)

Christine @ Burning It Off May 19, 2011 at 6:14 am

And a ham and cheese sandwich no less… I think it’s because it was grilled. Even the most run of the mill sandwich tastes awesome when it’s grilled :P

Courtney May 19, 2011 at 6:48 am

I love Ginger man…whenever i’m in the city I go there!

The Teenage Taste May 19, 2011 at 7:09 am

Oh my goodness…that sandwich looks delicious! I love panini-style sandwiches! :-)

Hats @ See How She Runs May 19, 2011 at 7:11 am

Ginger Man sounds like a very interesting place. I love places that offer a range of different beers, especially ones from microbreweries or breweruies that aren’t that well-known. Although the company I’m with will always be the most important thing, it only make it better when I can discover some new, amazing beers at the same time!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 19, 2011 at 7:46 am

I love that blogging means we have drinking buddies all over the map! That sounds like such a fun afternoon!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 19, 2011 at 7:49 am

Haha. She had to go back to work after drinking? My kinda gal.

Hope you had fun!!!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing May 19, 2011 at 8:43 am

I LOVE Pret – totally reminds me of England! I’ve been to the DC location once since it arrived but it was a bit lackluster unfortunately. Perhaps I’ll have to give it another shot with the ham and cheese :).

Traci May 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Living 20 minutes from NYC over the border in NJ, I quickly learned that NYC’s “to go” food is actually REALLY good. I’ve never had Pret but it’s on my list to try, as is The Ginger Man. Looks like you had a fun day! Also- this is really kind of random, but my boyfriend just moved out of Quincy and we used to go to the Mary Lou’s there often – the Hawaiian chocolate nut is FABULOUS!

Tina May 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

@Traci: That’s my favorite flavor!! :)

Hope May 19, 2011 at 8:46 am

What a fun day! Those beers look fancy! I love trying new beers! I can’t wait to read the event recap! :)

Krissie J May 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

Both of those beers sound completely delicious! Have you ever been to Eulogy in Philly? It think it’d be your kind of place.

Tina May 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

@Krissie J: I haven’t, but I’ll be in Philly this summer, so I will def try to get there!

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

Ahhh It’s Tom Colicchio! Have you gotten a chance to eat at any of his restaurants? Next time you’re in the city you definitely have to.

The Ginger Man rocks, good bar choice! They always have a fun crowd and even I enjoy beer there (I usually hate beer).

Can’t wait to hear the recap!

jenna{frombostonwithlove} May 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

Ginger Man is such a great spot! I fell in love with the one in Dallas and then on trip to NYC made a point to find the one there… which of course I loved as well!!

Lauren May 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

Hope you had a wonderful time!

I used to work right around the corner for Ginger Man, so I know it well. Such a great beer selection.

Christina May 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love reading about the different beers you try! I’m always looking to try something new.

I went to Pret when I visited my sister in London — it was surprisingly delicious. I wish they had them up in Boston!

Dori May 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Next time you come to NYC we need to get a drink and finally meet!

Tina May 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

@Dori: YES! I’ll be in NYC for the Mini 10K in a couple of weeks. We should try to meet up!

Michelle May 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Aww, I love The Ginger Man! That’s where I met my husband :)

Mac May 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

How do restaurants know how to make something as simple as a ham and cheese sandwich look so gosh darn good!

Martha Lilian May 19, 2011 at 6:47 pm

The Ginger Man is a great spot! It has been far too long since I’ve been, but you’ve just ignited a flame…that I’ll have to put out with a beer at happy hour sometime in the near future.

Gracie May 20, 2011 at 7:09 am

LOVE you and loved being your drinking buddy! Can we have round two this weekend please?? ;)