• Can Toning Clothing Really Help You Lose Weight?

May 25, 2011

When I attended the Back on My Feet (BOMF) orientation in early March, Vic Acosta, Executive Director for BOMF, told the group that if we joined and got to know the residents, we’d have our hearts broken by them in one of two ways:

• They’d stop running with BOMF because they fell back into their old ways.
    • They’d stop running with BOMF because they got themselves back on their feet with a new job, place to live, etc.

Vic guaranteed that this would happen at some point in our journey with BOMF. Well, this morning, as cheesy as it sounds, I felt my heart break a little bit when two different BOMF residents said ‘hello’ to the group, but didn’t join us to run. It turns out both of them had jobs to get to this morning. Of course, I was happy for them, but I definitely missed them on our run today.

When I got home, this face greeted me at the door.

Thank God for pugs!

Breakfast

I forgot to take water with me this morning, so, as soon I walked in the door, I made myself an iced coffee with soy milk.

_MG_2407 (500x333)

To eat, I whipped up a quick bowl of Good Food Made Simpleoatmeal with banana slices and peanut butter on top. Delish!

_MG_2412 (500x333)

National Wine Day

Happy National Wine Day! I hope you decide to celebrate later today!

2011-05-25_0713

Bondi Band Deal

In honor of National Wine Day, OpenSky is offering a sweet deal on Bondi Bands! Make sure you’re following me to get the deal!

Feel Great Weight

In the wake of the toning-shoe craze, all sorts of companies are now selling workout clothing that they claim makes muscles work harder so you burn more calories. The fabric in the clothing adds a built-in resistance that forces your body to work harder and improve your performance, they say.

I’m always wary of these types of “too-good-to-be-true” claims, so when IntelliSkin contacted me to try one of its shirts for free, I was game. I wanted to see for myself what this trend was all about. See what I had to say: Can Toning Clothing Really Help You Lose Weight?

Have you ever tried toning clothing/shoes? Do you think they work?

Jamie May 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I have some skechers shape ups. I actually love them! They are the most comfortable shoes that I own. But I don’t wear them necessarily to tone, and I don’t wear them to run in.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Those toning shoes look and sound goofy! Too good to be true, I think :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) May 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

National Wine Day! Count me in! ;)

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Back on My Feet sounds like such an incredible organization!

I don’t buy the toning clothes/shoes thing. Frankly, I’d rather work hard myself to get toned. It’s more gratifying that way :-)

M May 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

guilt-free because it contains no fat? cringe. Regardless, I’m happy to celebrate.

Miranda @ Working Mom WOrks Out May 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Woot! National Wine Day!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I don’t believe in those toning shoes – I’ve actually spoken with my chiropractor and they do more harm than good!

LauraJayne May 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I totally bought into the trend and purchase toning shoes – but I found that they gave me HORRIBLE shin splints, which is totally not worth it to me! Now they are sitting in my closet, totally unused!

Charissa May 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm

That’s funny, I mentioned a little about that in my last post I put up before I read yours…I think they’re just a little silly. Yes. That’s my opinion.

Valerie May 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

if it were only that easy, then we’d all be fit!

Dena B May 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I had a pair of FitFlops and they eneded up in the donate pile. They gave me low back and knee pain.

karlee @ olivewineandfood May 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm

national wine day! awesome!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I have Reebok Runtones. I don’t really recommend running in them because are pretty heavy…but when wear them walking and I’m always sore afterward. I got the Runtones because they supposedly have more ankle support. Although, they’re not that fun to workout in day after day, as they usually leave my legs pretty sore and I can’t workout as hard as I would had I been wearing normal tennis shoes.

Colleen May 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

That is sad to see former running buddies, but reminded me of a ‘fitness walking’ class I took in college to get an even number of credit hours one semester. The class met twice a week where we made up routes and paths for the class, but also got stuck walking laps on an indoor track depending on the weather. Well one day our class leader for the day felt like taking us almost off campus back by a series of dorms which sat on a main road for our small school. As we go to cross the street two girls in our class were crossing back to their dorm with McDonalds bags in their hands. It wouldn’t be as funny years later except both of their jaws dropped and they just started laughing so hard. I guess if you’re going to get busted not working out a bag of fries makes it kind of hilarious.

Chris (Our Corner House) May 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

@Colleen:

This is hilarious! Reminds me of the time nearly half our high school XC team got caught at DQ, skipping practice.

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots May 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I figure that the toning shoes/clothing work for a little bit and then your muscles get used to them. Since there is no way to increase the resistance or weight, you pretty much stop gaining muscle there. Now only if they had toning shoes that you could increase resistance on periodically. Those, I would buy!

cher May 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm

the company i work for, Crocs, now has toning shoes. They are one of the first toning shoes that are NOT athletic shoes. do i notice a HUGE difference when i wear them? no. i do notice a difference in my stabilizer muscles though and i really do like the thought of having better balance!

Theresa Duffy May 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I wore Fit- flops last summer and went from barely being able to stand because of constant, sharp pains in my feet (from plantar facitisis) to being able to walk up to ten miles a day. I don’t know about the validity of the claims that these type of shoes increase muscle contraction, but I love them for their comfort and bought a new pair for this summer (along with a pair of (not dorky and obvious looking)Shape- ups).

MREXXTREME23 August 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Resistance training clothing does work just not reebok’s !
    They stole that idea from a company in 06″ and thied to make their own and was not succesful.The design is incorrrect. Only the true developer knows the true design and can make it functional! It was submitted as a patent for sale and they rejected it and said they do not take ideas because some one in their company maybe working on it,like every other company says.And two years later here comes reebok with functional clothes also.But like i said failure. You have to know how something works to create a solution. God creates one person one mind only they know true ideas and philosophies behind them.Just ask professional athletes,the USMC special forces who use the real product Thanks for creating this blog..

sauna suit benefits February 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

I have been using a sauna suit for a long time and I get only temporary benefits.