• Breakfast Inspired by Good Food Made Simple

May 13, 2011

A few weeks ago, I received an invitation to try some new breakfast products from a company called Good Food Made Simple at Barbara Lynch’s test kitchen, Stir. The invite mentioned oatmeal and egg patties, which are already staples in my diet, so I was excited to attend. (I also really wanted to see Stir because I am obsessed with Barbara Lynch!)

_MG_2262 (640x426)

As expected, Stir was gorgeous inside! I love bright, well-organized kitchens!

I especially loved all of the cookbooks lining the walls. Sometimes, I think cookbooks are prettier than other books.

_MG_2259 (640x426)

Along with eight other bloggers, I was invited to taste the new products from Good Food Made Simple, learn about the company, and enjoy a nice, laid-back brunch to kick off the weekend. It sounded good to me, especially the food part, and there was a really nice menu planned for us!

_MG_2256 (640x426)

If you aren’t familiar with Good Food Made Simple, they are a small, growing company and, well, their name pretty much speaks for itself. Their main objective is to make clean, healthy foods that not only taste delicious, but are easy to make, especially for busy families. They have started in the frozen food section to help debunk the myth that frozen has to mean processed.

Right now, Good Food Made Simple offers two main breakfast products: steel cut oatmeal and egg patties. The oatmeal is available in four flavors, which are pre-portioned, slowly cooked, and flash frozen. Each serving has 150 calories, is ready to eat in less than 3 minutes, and contains only ingredients you would put in your own oatmeal– steel cut oats, sea salt, and water. And the egg patties? They are just eggs, salt, and a bit of corn starch (to stabilize). Sounds good, right?

_MG_2271 (640x426)IMG_0026 (640x480)

I’m generally not a fan of “convenience foods” because of the insanely long list of ingredients that are hard to pronounce, but George Gavris, one of the eight founders of Good Food Made Simple, said something that stuck a chord with me. He made the point that a lot of frozen (convenient) foods with a mile-long list of ingredients are usually printed in teeny-tiny font on the package. (Maybe the manufacturers hope we won’t be able to read them?) George said that the goal of Good Food Made Simple is to make their foods with the fewest ingredients as possible and print them on the package so they are easily readable to the consumer.

The Good Food Made Simple oatmeal comes in pre-packaged pucks, which, at first, I wasn’t a fan of— it seemed like astronaut food to me. But, George explained that the company wanted to use as minimal packaging as possible to encourage people to use their own dishes and silverware to enjoy breakfast. He also hoped that the packaging would then be recycled!

As you know, I’m a huge fan of oatmeal. I typically eat rolled oats because they are a quick breakfast, but I know steel cuts oats are a more nutritious option— I just don’t want to wait 30-40 minutes for them to cook. For this reason, I really like the idea of microwavable steel cut oats, especially if they aren’t loaded with weird-o ingredients.

At this morning’s event, I sampled all four varieties:

• Original Unsweetened
    • Fruit & Berries
    • Vermont Maple Syrup
    • Brown Sugar & Cinnamon (made with organic rolled oats)

I’m not a huge fan of sweet oatmeal, so my favorite was the Original Unsweetened, which was thick and chewy (and served with cherry trail mix). I also really liked the Vermont Maple Syrup variety. It was sweet, but not overkill.

_MG_2275 (640x426)

The only downside of the oatmeal is that it’s pretty expensive. Two 8-ounce servings cost about $2.50-2.99, which, for the same amount, you can buy a entire container of steel cut oats— but you are paying for the convenience of it.

After the oatmeal, we sampled the egg patties, which were fancied-up with lots of fresh ingredients. Hello, gourmet egg sandwiches!

_MG_2283 (640x426)

_MG_2294 (640x426)

The first sandwich was made with an egg white patty, pesto, and roasted tomato on freshly baked bread.

_MG_2290 (640x426)

The second sandwich really rocked my world. It was an egg patty with arugula, prosciutto, and parmigiano reggiano on freshly baked multigrain bread. My goodness is was amazing!

_MG_2297 (640x426)

The egg patties were pretty awesome. I know Mal would love these things. He eats egg sandwiches a few days a week before school, so I’m sure he’d like the convenience of these patties— and I won’t have to clean the pan he leaves behind on the stovetop every morning!

A box of six patties goes for $2.49-2.99, which I think is a reasonable price, especially compared to buying a breakfast sandwich every morning– and, of course, the ingredients aren’t scary!

Alaina May 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Looks like a fun event! I love anything Barbara Lynch too. She’s really nice in person. :-)

Natalia - a side of simple May 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm

How fun! There definitely is that whole “frozen=processed” mentality, probably because so many frozen meals actually are processed, but I love this and the convenience of them!

Kath May 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Steel cut aren’t necessarily any healthier! They have the same nutrients as rolled. They’re just a different shape + size.

Hilary May 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Cool…what a great idea!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I think I’d still prefer to make my own breakfasts, but these sound like a pretty decent option for people who really don’t have time to cook a healthy breakfast. I really like their simple ingredient lists!

Jardan May 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm

um… YUM.!!!!! The oatmeal with cherry trail mix sounds AMAZING and super healthy. You are so deserving of these little invitations, I wish I could attend them!!:)

Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN May 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What a treat to get to be able to attend this! I’m glad you shared all the deets with us! Your photos are gorgeous – Happy Friday!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

That looks like a ton of fun.. sampling all that good stuff!

D May 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

That is a crazy price for oatmeal, and while I don’t eat eggs (and so I don’t know how much they cost), you said that the sandwiches they gave you were ‘fancied up’ which implies that all the extra ingredients are NOT part of the cost, so really, if you were comparing the price to a fully made up breakfast sandwich that you buy from somewhere else, is it really cheaper once you take into account the other ingredients?

I understand the goal of this company and the products, but I think it’s sad that EVERYTHING needs to be ‘convenient’ now! Is it really that much hassle to soak some oats and then cook them on low? But I guess that’s an entirely different topic.

Also, I think marketing the oatmeal as something that would be good for ‘busy families’ is difficult to understand. This implies 3-4 people, at least, right? So you’d have to buy at least 2 boxes of the oatmeal, so that would be around 6 bucks. Then, you have to microwave each one individually. And lastly, you have to use (and then wash) your own dishes. Either I am missing the point, or this is the least convenient breakfast idea for busy families ever. Also, at 150 calories a portion, that’s way less than is recommended for just about anyone.

I understand where they’re coming from, but it seems like they are trying to cover all bases (It’s healthy! It’s natural! It’s convenient!) when really, one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, obstacle for people eating healthy is price and value, which I think this falls short on.

BroccoliHut May 13, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Those breakfast sandwiches look and sound amazing! I never would have thought to put pesto on a breakfast sandwich, but it sounds delicious.

Tricia May 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I eat steel cut oats most every day for breakfast. I found that if you soak them overnight in milk/water, they don’t take long at all to cook (maybe 10-15 minutes?). I cook a big pot on Monday morning and then portion it out/microwave it for the rest of the week.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Mmm the maple oatmeal and pesto sandwich sound awesome! I’m not at that point in my life where I need convenience food, but if I get there, then I’d definitely buy them from a company like this. I’ve never seen this brand in my local grocery store, so are they national or Boston-based??

Cara (Yourowntwist) May 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love that you can read and understand what is in the ingredients! I hate not knowing exactly what is going into my body! Sounds like it was a really fun and yummy breakfast! :)

The Teenage Taste May 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Lucky you for being a part of the Good Food Made Simple sampling panel! Everything looks delicious! I can’t wait until they hit the stores near me! :-D

Emily @ Savory and Savage May 14, 2011 at 12:52 am

That breakfast sandwich looks very tasty!

Michelle May 14, 2011 at 2:58 am

I grew up eating egg sandwiches for breakfast and still eat them almost daily, but I’m far too lazy to cook them in a pan every day — I make my eggs in the microwave (scramble, add cheese, cook for 45 sec-1min) and the only cleanup you have is a bowl to scrub real quick. I imagine they’d have a similar texture to these patties… and maybe cheaper?

Hannah May 14, 2011 at 6:48 am

Oh gosh, I would so love the steelcut oats! I have a box of instant oatmeal at work and, I must admit, it kinda sucks… :P

Sarah@The Flying ONION May 14, 2011 at 6:49 am

What a fun event!!

I like to make steel cut oats in big batches and then refrigerate them overnight. Then I can use them up throughout the week for an easy breakfast. :D

carol May 14, 2011 at 7:01 am

Trader Joe’s has a frozen steel cut oatmeal which is wonderful. Very interested in the egg product.

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Girl" May 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

What a cool thing to be able to do! I have to admit, I feel like frozen oatmeal is slightly unnecessary…it’s not too inconvenient to begin with. But I like what this company stands for and the food looked delicious!

Melissa May 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Those look like great convenience foods, but I think I’d rather spend 5 minutes to save $$$! Maybe someday when I have a bigger food budget, I’ll give these a try. I do love that everything is “real” food–and those egg sandwiches sound fantastic!

debby May 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I love the fruit and berries and will pay the price for the 8 pack. It saves me from eating out; I would never take the time to cook.

GenkiFox May 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I eat steel cut oats all the time. There is a quick method to making them. The night before, simply boil it for a minute or so. Then put the pot of oats in the fridge overnight. The next morning you cook it for 10 minutes. Done! I do this on my day off and portion it out into microwavable containers.

Brittney May 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I actually blogged about their oatmeal a while back, because my hubby and I found it at Costco in the freezer section! It’s good for us when we’re in a hurry to get out of the house to work and don’t have tons of time. I agree- I like the maple syrup one. Yummy!

Jaca Collins May 29, 2011 at 8:22 am

I just happened to see this product while shopping in Costco this week. I was on my way to Trader Joe’s to get their prepackaged and frozen steel cut oats (which are delicious) then I saw Good Food Made Simple at Costco. It saved me a trip and I was able to buy 8 servings in one box. Trader Joe’s sells them two per box. I love the steel cut oats by Good Food Made Simple. I put 1 tbsp of walnuts and 1 cup of blueberries in mine. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

VELVET PERTILLA June 16, 2011 at 10:23 am

GREAT GOOD IN MORNOING:)

nancy kane July 27, 2011 at 7:20 pm

i would like to buy this product u said costco they do not carry it they only had it once

Lindy August 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

I found the oatmeal in a grocery store in Atlanta but have not been able to find it since. I didn’t see the egg but will keep looking for it. My advice to anyone who finds it….buy them all. We all know how to make oatmeal but don’t have the 30 minutes (plus washing out the pot) in the morning. If I see it again, I’m buying the case out so you will have to beat me to the freezer!

Chris Stackhouse September 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

Where can I purchase the Good Food Made Simple Oatmeal?
    80227 zip code

paula carroll September 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I picked up the steel cut oatmeal at Marketbasket 2 for $4. I also love steel cut oatmeal however it isnt worth the time and the expense for me to make it . Steel cut oatmeal is very expensive I dont know where you shop but it is a lot pricier than regular oatmeal….
    I was amazed how good the simple meals were..I hope market baskset continues to sell thhem. I also spend a great deal of time in Florida where can I hope to get the same product???
    Please continue with all your products..do you have a catalog???
    thanks Paula Carroll

Colleen September 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Found your blog when I googled ‘good food made simple’. Love their oatmeal and love your blog!

Just wanted to let you & your readers know……Costco now carries a 8 pack of the oatmeal which includes 4 of the maple syrup and 4 of the berry. I cant remember exactly what I paid at the moment, but as a thrifty shopper I’m confidant the price is significantly less than when you mentioned in your post. (Super easy and portable…..I have frequently (accidently) defrosted and re-frozen the packs without affecting the taste.

Charlie Buckner September 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

I found the Unsweetened Oats at Trader Joe’s and really liked them. When I went back to get more they only had the TJ’s brand and were sweetened. Any suggestions where I might fine?

Sincerely, Charlie Buckner

Anna H October 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Oatmeal tasted good, however my 6 year old grandson started having hives. The website is still under construction and the box listed NO ALLERGEN INFORMATION. However after frantic internet searching we found it should have listed fish as an allergen….. too late for our little guy. Natural yes but unsafe for those with allergies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue L January 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

@Anna H: How is fish in oatmeal? Is it because it has sea salt in it or because fish products were processed in the same plant as the salt?

This brand can be purchased at the Hannaford grocery chains in Maine. I sometimes need something quick so I love the egg white patties for a quick breakfast sandwich.

Maria Cole November 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I live in Revere, Ma. Market Basket stopped carrying the Good and Simple steel cut oatmeal last week. None of the other supermarkets in my area ever carried the product. Please tell me where I can purchase them.

Maria Cole

aline benner February 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

i live in texas the ft. worth area , where can purchase the oatmeal. cosco was carring , but they stopped. my family loves this please let me know were. thanks

Jessica March 3, 2012 at 10:26 am

I am concerned about a society that has to FREEZE oatmeal…and then MICROWAVE it. Seriously? If we are too busy to make oatmeal or fry an egg, perhaps we need to revisit our priorities. We are one of the fattest, sickest nations on the globe. We have abandoned the very notion of preparing fresh, healthy food for our families. We are in a sad state and I really hope it is not too late for change.

Rafael April 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

Jessica,

That is, for a lack of a better word, an ignorant comment, as many people are very busy, active and do what they can to save time for what matters more….which is time! I wake up every day at 4am to excercise, shower and out the door by 6:15. I prepare my breakfast, lunch, snacks, (for work) the night before,… to save time.

I don’t have “time” to cook breakfast at home in the morning, nor perfer to spend a TON of money out for unhealthy food. Seriously… by the time many get home, especially me, I want to spend it with my family. To assume people are lazy and unhealthy, because of the simplicity of using frozen steel cut oatmeal is crazy. BTW… I always prepare my food for dinner and yes they are very healthy, low in fat, and all the other bad stuff.

Lucille Grant April 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I used to be able to buy the frozen oatmeal with fruit in Hanaford’s Market. Now they no longer stock it. Where can I buy it? I live in Upton,MA.. I do hope you can provide the information.

Thank you in advance…….Lou

Carrie Pepin April 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I was searching for Good Food Made Simple’s individually frozen steel cut oatmeal and it brought me to carrotsncake.com site. I absolutely love this product and am devastated because my local Costco has quit carrying the product. Where else can I find it of can I order it? Thank you!

Linda Wilson April 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

I have been eating the oatmeal for a few months now. I absolutely love the taste and ease of the product. I am always in a hurry in the morning and instead of a donut or sweets, I feel good about eating the oatmeal. By the way I would never eat oatmeal, and this is my first experience with it and I am loving it. Thank you for such a great product. By the way I did not see it at Costco the last time I went. I just hope they were out of it. I hope to see this in even more stores.

Alie June 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

I absolutly love the oatmeal. I add dried cherries to the oatmeal before I put it in the microwave. My only problem is finding the product. Sams Club used to carry it, but they no longer have it available. I would like to purchase more. Where can I find it near Toledo, Ohio?