• 10 Things My Mom Taught Me

May 11, 2011

A few days ago, Jenna wrote a really sweet post about some of the things her mom taught her. I loved the idea, so I decided to do the same.

531 (426x640)

1. Two wrongs don’t make a right.
    2. No meal is complete without a piece of cat (or dog) hair in it.
    3. Pay attention to unit price and it will get you the best deal.
    4. There’s nothing nutritious about soda.
    5. The directions in the box aren’t the only way to play the game.
    6. On occasion, it’s okay to eat half of a batch of brownies.
    7. There are better things to watch on TV than Star Trek.
    8. Don’t eat yellow snow.
    9. The Best Apple Crisp ever is made with this recipe.
    10. When you grow up, your sister will be your best friend.

What has your mom taught you?

Jess @atasteofconfidence May 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love the brownie one— my mom taught me that straightening out an edge is always ok!

SquatLikeALady May 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

Aww I love this, and I LOVE the pic of you & your mom!!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

My mom taught me that laughing will solve most of life’s problems.

Andie @ CanYouStayForDinner.com May 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

Beautiful list, and so true. My mom taught me that listening to people, just really and truly listening, is the greatest gift you can ever give :)

becca (bellebottoms) May 11, 2011 at 12:12 pm

love it! my mom taught me:

to snort when I laugh :)
    to love hard
    that no meal is complete without a glass of red wine
    that family is the most important thing

love this!!

Roz May 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

What a lovely tribute to your Mom! Mine taught me, among a zillion other things, that bad times pass, sometimes its best to hold your tongue, accept others for who they are, and that beige underwear under summer clothes is best! :)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm

hahaha.. love that your mom taught you to not eat yellow snow. ;)

my mom has always taught me that different friends bring different gifts to your life. and that you can never wear too much blue.

and that YOU make your own happiness.

Alyssa May 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm

My mom was ashamed that I didn’t know the Enterprise runs on Dilithium crystals.
    So the “Star Trek” thing? Yeah, kinda the opposite at out house, lol!
    But the biggest lesson she taught me is that just ’cause I’m a girl doesn’t mean I can’t do all the things my older brother does. And, boy, was he annoyed when I tagged along with him to baseball, karate, skiing, and tennis!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

hahaha..don’t eat yellow snow. Good tips!

Haleigh May 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

You and your mom look gorgeous in your wedding photo! Great tips, love the one about the cat (or dog) hair, hehe.

Karina (Like Some Cat from Japan) May 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm

You look gorgeous in your wedding photo!

Jamie@everydaydolce May 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm

What a beautiful picture of you and your mom! I did a similar post on Mother’s Day! Awesome tips :)

Veggie Girl May 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm

My mum tought me selflessness by her example :)

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? May 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm

The best thing my mother ever taught me was to go somewhere quiet and write about it when I’m upset rather than trying to confront someone else. Great way to organize my thoughts and calm me down at the same time.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

These are so wonderful! I love this post!
    The best piece of advice my mother ever gave me was that when you’re feeling your worst, go outside. Fresh air and a short walk makes the world seem like a better place!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 11, 2011 at 2:31 pm

awwww so sweet! My mom taught me that lies are never a good thing, she always is right (ahaha), and that the man should love the woman more than the woman loves the man in a marriage to make it work best!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm

what a lovely post :)

Marian Schembari May 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

LOL. My mom always taught me not to eat yellow snow too… They are so classy ;-)

AllieNic @Frisky Lemon May 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Oh man…I can totally identify with number 2…that dog hair is sneaky!

My mom taught me that’s okay to do it “your way” if that makes any sense…

Lacey @ Lake Life May 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Love this post! Most importantly, my mom taught me that you can count your TRUE friends on one hand- and that’s all you need :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Hahaha at “Don’t eat yellow snow”! I hope she told you that before you tried it!

My mom taught me how to hide my shopping trip purchases from my dad. :P

Kelly May 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love number ten; it’s so true! Too bad we can’t see that when we’re kids.

CampingGirl May 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I have also been taught about the yellow snow… the other one is never accept wooden nickels!