• Run to Remember Half Marathon Training Plan

April 29, 2011

Recently, I received a number of questions about training for a half marathon. My Running page has all sorts of information about long runs, fueling, motivation, gear, and recaps of the five half marathons that I’ve run to date. If you have additional questions, please let me know!

I’m currently training for the Run to Remember at the end of May, so I’m using the training plan below from Smart Coach. Smart Coach is great because you can personalize a training program to meet your own running goals. If you’re thinking about running a half marathon (or already have one on your calendar), it’s a fantastic tool!

2011-04-23_1308_thumb

I also plan to use this post to keep track of my workouts since a bunch of people said they missed my weekly schedule that I removed from my blog. Keeping track of my workouts here will also help keep me on track with my half marathon training, so it’s a win-win!

Week of April 25

• W: BOMF + 2-mile run/walk with Murphy
    • T: Yoga
    • F: Body Pump
    • S: Off
    • S: RUN TO REMEMBER!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday April 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I like looking at other people’s running plans to see how they schedule their training. I find it very helpful.

Are your easy runs just short runs at your normal pace?

Tina April 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

@Samantha @ Bikini Birthday: No, it’s a slower pace. I’m using the training plan posted above.

Laura Jane April 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Looks like a great plan!

Heather (heathers dish) April 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I am such a fan of training plans and yours sounds spot on for your goals! Keepbintegrating yoga and strength and you’ll be so prepped!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

That sounds like a great training plan I will be looking forward to reading how you feel it compares to the other training plans you’ve done.

I’m running a half on Sunday much sooner than I had originally planned. But often sooner is better for me! :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Very nice! I’ve been doing that for a few weeks on my blog too. I love keeping track. I map out my week beforehand to get myself pumped up for the week. If things change I just mark it on there. But so far, so good on keeping to my schedule!

Heather April 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thank you ! I was wondering do you eat anything before you go on your early morning runs with your team?

Heather

Tina April 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm

@Heather: Yep! I eat the same breakfast before long runs and races: peanut butter + banana on whole wheat bread.

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

wowiee that’s a lotta runnin’! :)

Christine April 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

hi tina! ok- i am officially obsessed with your blog (found it a couple of weeks ago via ali & theodora!). and i am buying your book this weekend. your blog/career is so inspiring – i am hoping to get there one day too!

thx for sharing your training plan – i am also running this half! (it will be half #3!). i am from boston but just moved down to nyc after graduation last may. can’t WAIT to run a hometown race with all of my family there!

hope to run into you! (no pun intended!)

xoxo
    Christine of bun&borough
    (sweetseas.blogspot.com)

Tamara @ The Stretch Jean Incident. April 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I discovered the Smart Coach app for my iPad last week, and I love it! I’ve been in a running funk lately and this is making it so much easier and less stressful than trying to formulate my own routine.

Angela April 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Nice plan Tina!! I love smart coach, and I bet posting and tracking this on your blog will keep you very accountable. Good luck with your training on this one!

chacha April 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm

After I read your post this week about the SmartCOACH I had to go check it out. It’s an interesting tool! The only thing that has me scratching my head a bit is it seems to take the weekly initial mileage and spread it out a bit thin. Like, your longest run is 8 miles. Seems kind of low for half-marathon training. But if you were to put in 26-31 initial mileage (which is a stretch for me, I’m around 24-26 right now, but that’s what I put in anyway), it ends up with 13 miles for the long runs. And the predicted time is faster.

Anyway, it’s a fun tool – thanks for posting about it or I would never have known!

Liz April 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

@chacha: I agree with this. I really like the idea of this tool, but it seems low on mileage and pretty slow with pace as well. Tina – will your 8 mile really be your longest run? I’m getting ready for my second half and would love to make a training plan like this work, but I don’t have much confidence in it working for me…

Tina April 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm

@Liz: Sorry, I should have specified that my long runs will be longer than 8 miles. I did 9 today and have 11 or 12 on the agenda for next week.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Love the SmartCoach tool-thanks for sharing!!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Great training plan. I’m planning on running a half marathon in the next couple of months and I’m going to use runner’s world training schedule.

Katherine: Unemployed April 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

good luck with the long run today

Katie May 1, 2011 at 2:42 am

Wow, that looks like a really neat site! I just signed up for my first half (eek!) and I’d been planning on “modifying” a standard training plan to my needs, but this might be just the ticket I need. Thanks for sharing!

Casey Lichenstein May 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Reading this post has motivated me to really get back into running regularly. I used to run 15 miles every week before I got pregnant. My babies are 8 months old and i am just getting back into it now. Being that I had triplets it is nearly impossible to find the time to run. The smart coach app is a great tool and I am hoping it can prepare me for a half marathon in either October or January of next year. Running is really something I am passionate about. It helps me deal with the stresses of having 3 babies.

Olivia May 10, 2011 at 10:37 am

I came across your blog through Healthworks’ FB post and really like your marathon training posts! I’m also training for the Run to Remember (my first half marathon) and am super excited. Thanks~

Stephanie May 13, 2011 at 9:57 am

i also have to a 12 mile boston run tomorrow! i ran boston run to remember last year. i raelly like it! although some people don’t care for it. i am running the hyannis half this year instead on the same day. anyway, i am always looking for a fellow runner to run with if you need someone

Martin May 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I enjoy reading your blog and good luck in the half marathon next weekend. I’ve done it the last couple of years and the weather has been wonderful so fingers crossed for this year!

BTW, I’m also a Boston runner/blogger who’s URL is http://www.cheekyrunning.com if you fancied checking it out.

Good luck!

Irina May 27, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hi Tina,

Love your website! It’s definitely one of my favorites :)

Since you have a lot of running/race experience I figured you would be able to answer my question. I noticed that you include many other workouts in your weekly training routine (yoga, body pump, etc.). I am a new runner and currently considering registering and training for a half-marathon. I am wondering if those other workouts are suggested or if a training program consisting solely of running is acceptable.

Thanks!

-Irina

Hannah December 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I’M doing this Half marathon for the first time this upcoming May. I couldn’t find a good website for the training so thanks!