• More | Fitness Women’s Half Marathon

April 3, 2011

Holy hills!!! The course for the More|Fitness Half Marathon kicked my butt this morning!

Ashley and Theodora weren’t joking when they warmed me about the hills in Central Park. I knew about Harlem Hill because I ran it last summer during BlogHer, but I didn’t realize just how difficult the other “rolling” hills would be! Yowsahs. The National Half Marathon course was child’s play compared to this one!

I didn’t PR at this half marathon, but I still had a blast running through Central Park and being part of the Thomas Bagel Thins team with Caitlin and Jennifer. What a cool experience it has been for me!

Just like last weekend, Theodora and I found each other before the race. We only chatted for a few minutes before the gun fired promptly at 7:00 AM.

photo (640x478)

photog (640x478)

As expected, the first mile or so of the race was jam-packed with runners and a little bit crazy, but, eventually, the group spread out and there was plenty of room to run.

photof (640x478)

The race started on West Drive at 63rd Street, and then looped counterclockwise twice around the Park. I thought I’d get bored running the same course a second time, but I actually didn’t mind it at all. Central Park is so beautiful, and there were tons of spectators cheering us on. Running the course again also helped me plan for the hills the second time around. Harlem Hill and Cat Hill almost killed me on the second loop! My legs were burning!!

photok (640x478)photox (640x478)

photod (640x478)

Even though I really struggled with the hills today, I finished… in one piece. I completed three half marathons in three weeks, so I think that’s a major accomplishment in itself! I’m feeling pretty proud of myself right now.

photo2 (640x478)

Considering the hills, I’m happy with my race time. I finished in 1:57:49 (8:59 pace). Of course, I’d like to PR at every race, but, as we all know, it doesn’t always happen that way.

My Garmin time and official time were the exact same. When does that ever happen!?! What a difference compared to last weekend, huh?

• Mile 1: 8:02
    • Mile 2: 8:29
    • Mile 3: 8:31
    • Mile 4: 8:41
    • Mile 5: 9:10
    • Mile 6: 8:40
    • Mile 7: 8:42
    • Mile 8: 9:09
    • Mile 9: 8:53
    • Mile 10: 9:25
    • Mile 11: 9:47 <— Harlem Hill 2nd time
    • Mile 12: 9:03
    • Mile 13: 8:45

photot (640x478)

I have to say, the More|Fitness Half Marathon was soooo well organized. There was plenty of water and Gatorade at all of the “fluid stations,” clearly visible mile makers at every mile, and a smooth, efficient finish line with no crazy back-up of runners. I’m very impressed by the New York Road Runners. Perhaps I’ll have to come back to NYC for another race soon?!

After the race, I refueled with a mini carton of chocolate Silk soymilk, which tasted delicious and provided lots of wonderful nutrients for recovery.

photoh (478x640)

I also ate a massive bagel with cream cheese.

IMG_1945_thumb

And an iced soy latte from Stumpton Coffee, which I’ve been obsessed with ever since my first sip back in October 2009. Mmm! Nice and bold!

IMG_0002 (640x480) (640x480)

Since the race, I’ve been lounging around and watching TV. Hopefully, I can motivate myself to get out and take advantage of my time in New York City!

Katherine: Unemployed April 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm

this makes me want to run again! you make it sound fun (ah I was burned out before)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm

3 halfs in 3 weeks is incredible! Congrats! :D

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I still vote for beer in bed. Congrats on a great race!

staceyhealthylife April 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Get out and enjoy the food in New York. :)

Katie April 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm

U seriously inspire me girl! I really , really, am thinking of training for a half one day ! I want to ! Congrats!!!

Kerry April 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Congrats. Time to become a half fanatic!! http://www.halffanatics.com/criteria.html You definitely meet some criteria!

beachgirlrunning April 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Sounds like such a fun race! Speedy 1st mile! Great job! Should take up Kerry’s suggestion and become a fanatic….

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm

3 halves in 3 weeks = I bow down to thee. You are superwoman! Take next weekend off :)

Hannah April 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Congratulations!! You deserve a bagel twice that size and filled with chocolate :P

Alyssa April 3, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Congrats on your time & running 3 half-marathons in 3 weeks!! That’s an amazing feat on its own for sure! =)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Congrats Tina – 3 marathons in as many weeks is a serious accomplishment!

Ashley @ Will Run for Food April 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

You rock! Three half marathons in that many weeks is a huge accomplishment!! Way to go!!

sarah (sarah learns) April 3, 2011 at 8:36 pm

congrats on 3 halfs in 3 weeks! as someone who’s never even completed a 5k, that definitely sounds like quite an accomplishment! :)

Courtney April 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I would do a half marathon soley for that bagel at that!!! Also, Ive always wanted to run in Central Park, so I am jealous!

Katy (The Singing Runner) April 3, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Congratulations! Great job Tina!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Nice job on the race!!! I can’t imagine running 3 halves in 3 weeks!!! You’re amazing!

Lauren @ MRS April 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Congrats! I’ve never participated in any marathon activities, and from your posts it seems like such a fun thing to do. I have to start baby steps first, as it looks like a test of endurance.

Kristen April 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm

three half marathons in three weeks! AWESOME JOB!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

That sounds like it was a great race!!

Abby April 3, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Nice work lady! Three halves in three weeks–that’s awesome! :)

Khushboo April 3, 2011 at 10:01 pm

PR or not, u rocked the half! Three in a row plus a fabulous time! Props to ya :)

gina (fitnessista) April 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

congrats on an incredible race!!! :D
    miss you <3

LauraJayne April 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Congrats! Three in three weeks is an amazing accomplishment!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner April 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Congrats on your race! :D LOVE SILK! :D

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 4, 2011 at 12:10 am

Congrats-that is awesome of 3 in 3 weeks!! I like the medal too :)

Becky April 4, 2011 at 12:25 am

you should be proud of yourself, girl, you have accomplished something amazing! i’ve got plans to run my first half marathon this year. in theory it sounds exciting, but i’ve got this darn hip problem currently that is slowing down my training progress. i can’t increase my distance much past 6 miles at a time right now. oh, well. i’m so grateful to be able to do 6 that i refuse to complain :) xo

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 4, 2011 at 12:26 am

Congrats! Well done…especially with the hills. Those always suck the energy out of me.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes April 4, 2011 at 12:29 am

3 in 3 weeks! That is an accomplishment! I am totally with you. You can’t approach every race an expect to PR, and if you don’t get down on yourself. Every run is so different with weather, the course and how you are feeling. I try to enjoy each one for what it is and for the simple reason that I enjoy racing! The best part is just being around so many other people the love to run as well. That feeling of unity is amazing!

Hannah @ Healthy Whip April 4, 2011 at 1:41 am

You’re so inspiring! Congrats- and have a well earned rest today!!

Jen April 4, 2011 at 6:54 am

3 half marathons in 3 weeks; you are a rockstar!!!! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in NYC ;)

denise April 4, 2011 at 7:30 am

Congratulations! My legs just fell off while reading this! ;)

Di April 4, 2011 at 8:46 am

Congrats on your 3 halves in 3 weeks! That’s pretty amazing! :) You’re right that you can’t PR ‘em all, but you still did great.

becca @ bellebottoms April 4, 2011 at 10:18 am

Congrats on 3 halfs in 3 weeks! Very impressive :)

Daisy April 4, 2011 at 11:06 am

funny that you ran the race for bagel thins, but ate a HUGE ass bagel afterwards. haha! sounds like such a fun race.

Emily April 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

congrats! 3 half marathons in 3 weeks is BAD ASS.

And if this course was a lot hillier than national, I think you should be VERY proud of that time!

heidi April 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

i LOVED nyrr races back when we lived in CT for the very reason that they were always so well organized :) Congrats on the race!!!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) April 4, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Congrats! That’s so amazing that you can now finish half marathons under 2 hours like it’s nothing! (Ok, I’m sure it was tough but obviously even with hills you can kick ass!).
    On a separate note: we need to get together soon!!! :)

Wendy Irene April 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

There is something so comforting about massive bagels once in a while when you need them! I always feel so content and full when I have one :) Congrats on a great race!

Mari April 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

AWWW I just saw your pictures and remember you running past me right before the 4th and 10th mile markers! I was volunteering at the event =)

Great job honey!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm

haha I’d like to reiterate on how GINORMOUS that bagel is, indeed. ;)

Kathy April 4, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Congratulations on a great run!!! I was there too and it was my first Half-Marathon ever! I am a walker/jogger and wanted to turn a new leaf for my 50th Birthday in June! Turn a new leaf? How about the whole darn tree at 13.1 miles? But, I finished it and lived to do it again next year. Loved spending time in NYC, and now I have an official race time in the NYRR books, so cool! Bring on the 50th!

healthy ashley April 5, 2011 at 7:38 am

Awesome race recap! Congrats!