• Meet. Eat. Feet.

April 2, 2011

Hi, there! Happy Saturday! :mrgreen:

So, here’s why I love New York City so much:

• A bunch of my good friends live here
    • The food!
    • You can walk everywhere

My day included all of these elements, so I enjoyed a nice, little Saturday in the city.

This morning, Caitlin, her mom, and I met Theodora and Ashley for brunch at Friend of a Farmer. This restaurant was highly recommended, so I was really looking forward to brunch. I was also wicked hungry!

Friend of a Farmer was absolutely adorable— warm, inviting, and very country chic.

IMG_0003 (640x480)IMG_0007 (480x640)

Not surprisingly, my meal started with an iced coffee with milk.

Caitlin and I shared the fresh seasonal fruit plate, which was served with an amazing maple cream sauce. It was a perfect compliment to the sweet fruit. In fact, it was so delicious, I sort of wanted to drink it! ;-)

For my meal, I ordered the Farmer’s Special, which was grilled open face cheese and tomato brushed with olive oil, fresh basil, and garlic dressing on homemade bread.

Mmm! Cheesy goodness! I loved it!

Ladies who brunch.

After brunch, we said goodbye and went our separate ways. I did some shopping, sightseeing, and lots and lots of walking around the city.

Eventually, I found myself at the Union Square Farmers’ Market.

Being there put me in such a good mood! The weather was beautiful!

IMG_0040 (480x640)IMG_0034 (480x640)

While wandering around, enjoying the sunshine, I sipped a cold pear cider.

IMG_0036 (640x480)IMG_0038 (640x480)

Then, I headed to Billy’s Bakery for a cupcake. A number of people left comments on CNC, sent emails, and tweeted me about this bakery, I just had to check it out— and it did not disappoint! Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

IMG_0043 (640x480)IMG_0050 (640x480)

I bought a Carrot Cupcake with cream cheese frosting, and it was excellent.

The carrot cake wasn’t as good as the cupcake from Baked & Wired, but the frosting gave it a run for its money! Holy yum! Why is cream cheese frosting so amazing?!? I could happily eat it everyday. Really.

My feet were killing me after walking for 3+ hours around the city, but now they’re feeling rested and ready to hit the pavement again.

See ya!

Lindsey (HIP LIP) April 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Love Friend of a Farmer! Used to go there all the time when I lived in the city. Also love Billy’s…

Katherine: Unemployed April 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

great weather!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Wow what a great farmer’s market! I’m surprised it’s open so early in the year though. Ours isn’t open for another month!

Linda April 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Chelsea– yeah it opens really early— pretty awesome!!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm

oooooh that cupcakes looks amazingly delicious—I want some cream cheese frosting toooooooo :) Have fun exploring!!

caronae April 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I love the pear cider from the union square farmer’s market. I usually get it hot. It is my favorite weekend treat, especially in fall and on cold winter days! Hope you’re having fun in this wonderful city!

denise April 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

What a great day to hang in the city! I can not wait until the farmer’s market moves outdoors here!! Good luck tomorrow!

Amy April 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your use of the word “wicked”. I miss hearing that living in Virginia. :)

Cait's Plate April 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm

That’s so funny! I work in NYC but am in Boston right now visiting family! We switched places! I agree with you that NYC is great but it’s definitely no Boston :)

That breakfast place you went to reminds me of another called Penelope’s – next time you’re in the city you should definitely check it out, it’s SO good (but a long wait!).

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking April 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm

oh, i’m so glad you went to billy’s… the carrot cake is so awesome there. :-)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 2, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Awwwwhhh! Those cupcakes look amazing! :D

Hilary April 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Looks like quite a delicious and delightful day….love the warmer weather…and farmers’ markets.

Wendy Irene April 2, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Lovin the pictures from NYC Tina! Enjoy your trip :)

brandi April 2, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Is your race number even or odd???

Rachel April 2, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Hi Tina! Not to sound like a major creeper, but I am in the background of this picture…I was on my way to get coffee next door to Friend of Farmer and I remember seeing this group of girls taking a picture (I was nervous I would be in the way!) I read your blog daily but never comment, and I just came on to read some last minute 1/2 marathon inspiration (I’m running in the More Magazine race tomorrow too, my first 1/2!) and came across this picture. So weird!!! Anyways, best of luck tomorrow and hope you enjoy your time in NYC!! Thanks for all of your inspirational words :)

Erin W. April 2, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Mmm, Billy’s has great cupcakes. Have you been to the ‘Doughnut Plant’ yet? That is my absolute favorite NYC stop. It’s a must try!

Michelle April 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I’m going to check out Friend of a Farmer and Billy’s Bakery. I live here and I’ve never even heard of them! Good luck tomorrow. You’re going to have so much fun :-)

Celia April 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Farmers market looks AMAZING! Makes me want to go to NYC…

Hannah April 3, 2011 at 12:18 am

Thank you so, so much for these New York posts! I love that city and it’s so wonderful to see the places I miss through your eyes :)

Kim April 3, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looks like you all had fun! I live right down the street from Friend of a Farmer and was at the coffee shop next door all day! Too bad I missed you all!

Nicole April 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Wow, you hit up some of my favorite eateries in such a short amount of time!

Monica April 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Yum, I may need to try recreating your brunch entrée. It sounds so amazing and perfect for a dinner one night when I am busy!

Lauren @ MRS April 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

That restaurant looks so cozy, and I’d go in to a place like that that reiterates the necessity of being nice.lols.

Diana@mymarblerye April 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Haha I still stand by and will annoy you by telling you to go to baked by Melissa :)