• Las Vegas: Where We Ate & Drank

April 21, 2011

There was plenty of good eatin’ and drinkin’ during our Las Vegas vacation! :mrgreen:

Our stay at the Wynn included dining at a number of the restaurants at the resort. The majority of which were really great, but a couple of them I would not recommend or return to in the future.  Mal and I also experienced a mix of good and bad dining at various restaurants outside of the Wynn– not terrible by any means, just perhaps a bit over-hyped.

Here’s a quick recap of where Mal and I ate and drank during our time in Las Vegas.

Wynn

Stratta

The first night that we spent at the Wynn, Mal and I enjoyed a late (second) dinner at Stratta, a casual yet stylish restaurant.

Stratta looked fancy and sophisticated, but the atmosphere was actually really laid-back. We had no problem getting a table or wearing flip-flops inside the restaurant.

IMG_0026 (640x480)IMG_0025 (640x480)

Mal and I just wanted a snack to take the edge off our hunger, so we shared the Bianca pizza with arugula, spinach, ricotta, and prosciutto, which was quite tasty– although, I haven’t met too many pizzas that I didn’t like.

The Café

The next morning, Mal and I grabbed breakfast at The Café. There was a huge line of people waiting to order breakfast, so we figured it was a popular place and decided to wait as well. After about 15 minutes, Mal and I finally arrived at the front of the line and placed our order: two egg and cheese bagel sandwiches + two iced coffees. The sandwiches and iced coffees were delivered to us quickly, but they tasted awful!!! Mal and I ate the egg sandwiches (mostly because they were so expensive), but we could not drink the iced coffee. It was that bad. It tasted like someone put their cigarette out in it!

Worst breakfast ever.

Mal and I ended up going to a nearby Starbucks for iced coffees. We ate breakfast there the next morning as well.

Parasol Up

Parasol Up was easily my favorite place to enjoy a cocktail at the Wynn. It was beautiful and so relaxing!

Parasol Up overlooked the “Lake of Dreams.”

And an enormous waterfall!

Mal and I went here twice for drinks during our stay at the Wynn.

Parasol Up is where I fell in love with a cocktail called Blue Crush. In fact, I loved it so much, I took notes from the bartender as he made it for me. Here’s what’s in it:

• Stoli Blueberry Vodka
    • SOHO Lychee Liquor
    • Muddled Blueberries
    • Simple syrup
    • Splash of sour mix

I still can’t believe how much stinkin’ money I spent on this drink during my time in Las Vegas, but, hey, it was vacation and it was incredibly tasty– fresh and slightly sweet with a subtle sour kick to it. I just couldn’t get enough of it! It will be recreated at home.

Mandalay Bay

On our second day in Vegas, Mal and I spent almost the entire afternoon sightseeing and walking the strip. Eventually, we got hungry and thirsty, so we went in search of food and good beer. Thanks to my Twitter friends, we ended up at the Burger Bar in Mandalay Bay.

The ultimate burger experience, from the famous restaurateur Hubert Keller of Fleur de Lys, comes to Mandalay Place. Incorporating the finest varieties of beef, buffalo, turkey, vegetarian and vegan products, a range of gourmet toppings and delicious buns, Burger Bar has a little bit of everything for the creative eater. Complete the experience with a Sweet Burger dessert or a hand-crafted micro brew.

Mal and I were really happy with the beer selection at the Burger Bar, especially since a lot of the brews were local to the West coast, so we hadn’t tried (or even heard) of a number of them. I picked the Kona Koko Brown Ale, which was de-lic-ious! It was nutty and malty, and I swear it smelled like toasted coconut! Mmm! I loved it!

Mal and I also shared a burger and sweet potato fries for lunch. The burger tasted pretty good, but it didn’t knock my socks off.

Caesars Palace

Our ‘big’ dinner for the vacation was at Mesa in Caesars Palace. It received fantastic reviews, and Mal and I loved Bobby Flay’s Bar Americain at Mohegan Sun, so we figured Mesa would be a hit with us too.

Unfortunately, neither of us were blown away by Mesa. The food was definitely good, but not WOW, ya know?

For my entrée, I ordered the Cremini Mushroom Quesadilla, which was served with fontina, ricotta, and salsa verde with a fried egg on top. I really enjoyed it, but I guess I was expecting something more. I’m not exactly sure what– maybe a stronger cheese flavor, maybe more mushrooms? It just didn’t impress me for some reason.

The Cremini Mushroom Quesadilla was an appetizer, so maybe ordering an entrée would have given me a different food experience? Mal ordered the Sixteen Spice Chicken, which he absolutely loved. He shared a bite with me, and I agreed it was awesome–  moist, tender, and packed with flavor. I loved the blend of spices. Maybe I just didn’t order the right meal?

Dessert at Mesa, however, totally rocked! Mal and I shared the Pear Buttermilk Upside Down Cake, which was served with butterscotch sauce and spiced ice cream. It basically tasted like a warm apple cider donut with butterscotch and ice cream melted on top. Mal and I actually debating ordering a second one because we loved it so much!

After dinner, we wandered around Caesars and did some window shopping.

Caesars Palace is a really great resort! There’s a ton to see and do, and I especially loved The Forum Shops, which featured lots of fancy designers. I didn’t buy anything, but it was still fun to look!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Tina, you look gorgeous! I love that green dress! I’ll have to keep all these places in mind when I make my next trip out there! :) Thanks!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 21, 2011 at 9:31 pm

That’s a great dress!

It’s nice to see you went to Stratta. At my sister’s wedding they had a dessert that was basically a nutella stuffed doughnut that was AMAZING.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 21, 2011 at 9:31 pm

That’s a great dress!

It’s nice to see you went to Stratta. At my sister’s wedding they had a dessert that was basically a nutella stuffed doughnut that was AMAZING!

Alyssa April 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Amazon delivered your book to me wicked early! I’m so excited and am about to sit down to look through it. I feel guilty having it so far in advance! Ahh! Blame Amazon…

Chelsea April 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I’ve never eaten at those places in Vegas, but I love the Pho Noodle place in the Venetian! Once when we were there for a week we ate there every day!

LauraJayne April 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Mesa is my sister’s all-time favorite restaurant – but I think we always eat brunch there! We’re going next weekend, and we’ve already made reservations! Looks like a wonderful trip – glad you had a good time!

Shannon @ HerDogBlog April 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm

LOVE your green dress!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Umm, I’ll be waiting for the cocktail recipe.

Smokin’ hot in the green dress, too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for the indepth restaruant reviews. I too would have fallen in love with the Blue Crush.

And I dont know what changes you’ve been making or if you have been, but dang girl…these pics of you in these posts..you just look AMAZING!!!

Whatever you’re doing, keep doing it. You look stunning! You are just glowing and rockin a totally in shape body and look. Stunning :)

Heather April 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Did you have the goat cheese app? It really makes Mesa so much better. I love Vegas. Got married there. Go there on average (post baby) every other year. The best place to have fun, forget about life and enjoy! Hope you had fun!

Hannah April 21, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Your green dress is amazing! Looks even better than the cocktail :P

Sara April 22, 2011 at 12:22 am

Where did you get that green dress? I absolutely LOVE it! You have a great sense of style. :D

Khushboo April 22, 2011 at 1:08 am

That green dress is stunning! Looks awesome on you. WHat a shame about Mesa- I hate when a meal doesnt live up to expectations!!

Jessy April 22, 2011 at 1:11 am

That green dress is fabulous, you look amazing!

Jen April 22, 2011 at 1:15 am

OMG, that green dress looks FANTASTIC on you!!! Gorgeous! I’m inspired – I want to look like you in that dress!!!

Jaclyn April 22, 2011 at 2:41 am

Looks like you guys had an amazing time and ate at some great spots!
    Too bad vacations have to come to an end, huh?!

Josephine April 22, 2011 at 2:42 am

I got an email the other day that my preordered Carrots N Cake book has been shipped. I’m so excited to get your book!

Jen April 22, 2011 at 6:14 am

You look AWESOME in that green dress!!!! You totally own it!!! I’ve heard about Burger Bar (too many episodes of Top Chef). That dessert….OMG looks fanfreakingtastic!

Char April 22, 2011 at 6:48 am

Looks like an awesome trip!! Caesars Palace IS cool!! Last time I was in Vegas, was when we stopped on our way back from Australia…let’s just say I was a little messed up from the time change and thought day should be night lol

Kara April 22, 2011 at 8:15 am

I LOVE your green dress! It looks awesome on you! :) Do you mind me asking where it’s from?

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 22, 2011 at 8:33 am

You look smokin in that dress!!! I absolutely love it! Do you recall where you bought it?

I went to MESA and it was pretty good. But like you said nothing to write home about, but still enjoyable. So glad you had a great time!

Tina April 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

@Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me: Marshalls or TJMaxx last summer.

whitney April 22, 2011 at 8:42 am

I love that dress!!!

Hope April 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

I love that green dress! :) I really like reading your reviews of the restaurants that you tried while in Vegas :)

becca (bellebottoms) April 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

what a great trip! it’s neat that you got to experience such a range of restaurants, tastes, etc…..

hmmmm, I’m wondering when the next flight to Vegas is from Dallas? Let me go look….. :)

Laura @FoodSnobSTL April 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

We have a burger bar here. I was really excited to go, but not imperessed either.

Christina April 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

I love that green dress!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

I went to the Burger Bar last time I was in Vegas. I still think about it. It was Delicious!

Amanda April 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

This makes me want to go back to Vegas asap! The Wynn looks so nice, one of my favorites for sure.

Wendy Irene April 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm

My husband and I thought the same thing about Mesa grill. Love seeing your vacation pics!!

Ella April 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

loooooove your nail polish! what is the color?

Honey @ Honey What's Cooking April 23, 2011 at 12:51 am

Thanks for the post Tina. We are heading out to Vegas sometime in June and this will definitely help. Will definitely check out the WYnn, I am considering this place as well based on my sister’s ravings.. let’s see. You look amazing!!!

Lindsay April 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I think its so funny (and ironic, to me anyway) that we both just went to Vegas! My hubs and I were there last weekend from Sat-Mon, and really enjoyed our stay! We ate at a lot of really fun places too, and made our own mini-bar in our room (thankYOU walgreens). That blueberry drink sounds DE-LISH tho! Glad you had a great time!! It was my first visit, and I loved all the energy that the strip has:)