• Food-Related Tips to Make Life Healthier & Easier

April 19, 2011

Hey, Carrots ‘n’ Cake readers! My name is Anne and I blog about food, fitness, and life over at fANNEtasticfood.com.

099

I’m currently living in Chapel Hill, NC, working on my Masters of Public Health in Nutrition at UNC to eventually become a Registered Dietitian! Tina came down to visit last weekend and it was so much fun showing her around.

As you know, Tina is currently living it up in Vegas and I’m honored to do a guest post for her today! I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite food-related tips that make my life (and now hopefully yours!) a little bit easier and/or healthier.

Enjoy!

~ Tip #1 ~

Don’t know what to do with the rest of that huge container of veggie or chicken broth? Freeze it in an ice cube tray!

033

I don’t know why broth always comes in massive containers, but I wasted SO much of it until I found out about this trick! Once the cubes are frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag to free up your ice cube tray. Then, the next time you need broth, you’ll have convenient little cubes ready of it ready and waiting! :) Two cubes are roughly equal to to 1/4 C. Cool, right?

~ Tip #2 ~

For a healthier version of classic tuna, chicken, or egg salad, swap out the mayo for equal parts nonfat plain yogurt and dijon mustard. Delish and much healthier, too!

014

For some examples, check out my Tuna Salad with a Healthy Twist, Autumn Chicken Salad, and Healthy Deviled Eggs!

017

~ Tip #3 ~

To cut avocado more easily, slice it while it’s still in the skin!

017

Cut off a piece of the avocado, including the skin, and make a sort of checkerboard of slices into it.

Then, simply hold it over your dish and smush it together to squeeze out the avocado pieces, all nicely sliced for you! So easy and way less messy, too.

021

Bonus tip: store the remaining avocado in a ziplock baggie in the fridge with the pit still in it – this will help to keep it fresh longer and from turning brown!

~ Tip #4 ~

When baking, swap out the oil for equal parts applesauce or plain yogurt.

033

For some examples, check out my Blueberry Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Bread, Sweet Potato Cranberry Coconut Muffins, and Pumpkin Muffins of Deliciousness! Yogurt also works great in brownies.

022

~ Other Tips ~

• To peel ginger, use the edge of a spoon instead of a knife.
    • To grate a super soft cheese (like a creamy goat cheese), pop it in the freezer and grate it once it’s frozen. The cheese will thaw once it’s grated!
    • To make your own buttermilk, add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to one cup of milk.

Thanks for reading! I hope you will find these tips useful, and be sure to stop by my blog for more healthy and easy recipes, exercise tips and motivation, quick packable lunch ideas, and fun!

What are your favorite food-related tips? I’d love to add some new ones to my list!

Caroline April 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Oh my lord, that tip about the broth is going to revolutionize my life! Seriously, I currently have about 4 semi-rotting containers of various broths sitting in the door of my fridge. Thanks!

Katherine: Unemployed April 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

great tips; I love switching out oil but never knew the ratio was just equal parts! I saw that ice cube trick once with *wine* so that red wine etc could be saved to make sauces

ChristinaAnne @ RegularGirl{Running} April 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Freezing broth tip = amazing!

It drives me CRAZY that they only sell those huge containers of vegetable broth …
    AWESOME.

Claire April 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Wow, what a smart tip with the broth!!!

Katie G. April 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

GREAT tips Anne!!! I never thought about freezing broth into ice cube trays! Genious!

Darcy @ Ginger's Goodies April 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I also freeze soon to be expiring juices(naked, dole, etc) in the trays then add to smoothies later one…HELPFUL!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Love the idea of freezing the extra broth in ice cube trays! I always add lemon juice to milk to make it like buttermilk-I can try the apple cider idea. I also wash, cut and bag my lettuce to make it easier. I also cook a bunch for dinner (it is just me and my husband) and freeze a lot of leftovers for a night when we are scrambling and don’t feel like cooking. Love your tips!!

Laura April 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm

If you love ginger but it always goes bad on the counter, peel it then freeze it! You can grate it frozen and use just as much as you need, anytime!

Anne P April 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

@Laura: Oo love this tip!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Great tips, thank you! Very interesting about slicing avocado! I actually can’t stand mayonnaise so I stayed away from tuna for a long time…and then a lightbulb went off and I started mixing mashed avocado, and sometimes hummus into my tuna and whammo- instant yummification :)

Alaina April 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I love this! Thank you so much for the great tips! Especially about the buttermilk. They always come in cartons that are too big and it ends up spoiling. Now I can make it in any quantity I want! :-)

Brooke (You Can Get Fit!) April 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

@Alaina: I actually make lemons out of lemonade… uh… or buttermilk dessert out of leftover buttermilk ;)
    I used only one cup out of a container once, so to the rest, I added lemon juice, a bit of lime juice, and enough sugar to sweeten to my taste (can also use alternate sweetener). Toss into the ice cream maker, and… buttermilk sherbet! Great with berry puree! (esp if you like tart stuff)

Michelle April 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm

These are some great swaps! Thanks for the ideas.

Denisse April 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm

The broth is a great tip. I always find that box spoils in my fridge and now I now how to save the broth and $$. Thanks.

Abby April 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I love the broth idea! I must do this–I waste so much broth :(

Anna April 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for the wonderful tips! I especially love the tip about freezing the broth in a vegetable tray. My sister in law uses the same concept with her cashew “cheese”.

Tracy @ Commit To Fit April 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Great tips! I freeze my broth too :)

BroccoliHut April 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Great tips! So nice to meet another North Carolina RD-to-be!

Sarah April 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm

what an AWESOME tip for extra veggie broth!!! I buy 1 cup servings of it and STILL waste it! This is a great way to save them!

lindsey April 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm

GREAT tips…thank you!!!!

Krystina (Organically Me) April 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Add red wine vinegar at the end of a dish that needs a little depth/zing. It works wonderfully.

The ‘ice tube tray’ trick works GREAT for pesto, as well.

Store tomato paste in the freezer, break off chunks when you need it and it’ll melt away in your dish.