• Find a Job You Love & You’ll Never Work a Day in Your Life

April 7, 2011

There’s a great discussion going on in the comment section of my morning post. I love hearing what you guys have to say. It’s like a little focus group! Check it out!

One question that I received this morning got me thinking about my blog:

Does blogging ever begin to feel like a chore, or at this point is it second nature to post on the daily?

Blogging three times a day every day is second nature to me—as well as snapping photos— but, as much as I see Carrots ‘N’ Cake as my job, it’s still really fun for me. Weirdly fun! :mrgreen:

From day one of CNC, I’ve enjoyed sharing my life and helping people. I find it rewarding and motivating on so many levels. I truly wake up every single morning and thank my lucky stars that I am able to do what I do.

But, like any job, there are days that blogging feels like a chore, and I don’t want to do it. In the past, I used to force myself to create a blog post just because I thought my readers were expecting it. Unfortunately, when I did this, my content suffered, and I wasn’t proud of what I was publishing. I also think my readers realized that I wasn’t really passionate about what I was posting on my blog. I love oatmeal, but I can only get excited about it so many times, ya know?

After awhile, I realized turning out so-so content didn’t make my readers happy and it definitely didn’t make me happy, so I cut myself some slack. Now, I only blog when I want to and have something to say. Of course, not every post you see on CNC is going to be earth-shattering, but, hopefully, it comes through in my posts just how much I love and enjoy my job. I also hope CNC motivates, inspires, amuses, entertains, and makes you hungry!

With that said, here’s lunch!

Lunch

Today’s lunch was split into two parts. Part one: a whole wheat pita with peanut butter, banana slices, walnuts, and chia seeds, cut into easy-to-eat triangles.

Part two: a smoothie made with frozen blueberries, raw oats, vanilla protein powder, soy milk, flaxseeds, and coconut butter.

Murphy watched from inside as I snapped a photo of my smoothie. Pug creeper.

Yesterday, I received a number of questions about how I make my smoothies. You know I’m a Master Smoothie-Maker, right? Well, I usually just feel out the ingredients that go into my smoothies. But, obviously, ‘feeling out’ ingredients doesn’t help you, so I measured today and drew up some basic guidelines for what goes into my smoothies. I pretty much always start with these measurements and go from there!

• 1/2 cup frozen fruit
    • 1 cup milk of your choice
    • 1 heaping scoop of protein powder
    • 1/4 cup cooked grains (oats, quinoa, bulgur, etc.)
    • 1-2 tbsp nut butter or coconut butter
    • 1-2 tsp chia seeds, ground flaxseed meal, honey, etc.

Hope this helps! :-D

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes April 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I think anything you view as something you “have to do” becomes a chore. Working out, running errands, cooking… all those things ARE fun to me, but could be viewed as chores to others. I guess it depends on your state of mind at the time and your motivation level. We all get in ruts sometimes, even the best of us. But how much better to really love what you do. The instances were you will be stuck in the “work” rut, will be such less often. Your passion shines through, keep it up!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit April 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I have never put grains in a smoothie and I have no idea why because I think it is a wonderful idea!

Tina April 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

@Tracy @ Commit To Fit: They’re a great addition. Very filling!

Hilary April 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Such a cute pic of Murphy! And I love this post…and your blog…and your content…and I am so jealous of your blog/life…would LOVE to be doing that myself and hope to one day!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Oh wow. I always just put a sprinkling of grains into a smoothie. Think I’ll try these portions out the next time I make one!

Raya April 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Pug Creeper. Bahaha

Khushboo April 8, 2011 at 12:47 am

You took the words right out of my mind! I just watched an episode of Opera with people who truly love their jobs and one of the guests was the founder of J. Crew! It’s so refreshing to hear people who genuinely feel passionate about their line of work! I really hope I reach that day soon. I know it’s along the lines of food and nutrition but I’m yet to find out what exactly!

Suzanne Spray April 8, 2011 at 12:51 am

Have you ever blogged about cleaning with natural and/or non-toxic products (e.g. baking soda, vinegar, lemons, etc…)? I would be curious to see what you use. (By the way, cleaning is NOT my cup o’ tea!) :)

Tina April 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

@Suzanne Spray: I haven’t, but only because I don’t use them. I pretty much use whatever is on sale at Target! ;) I should probably look into more natural cleaners though.

Ella April 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

ahahaha “pug creeper.” i love it.

Laura April 8, 2011 at 5:37 am

Sorry if you answered this before but what machine do you use to make your smoothies?

Tina April 8, 2011 at 6:48 am

@Laura: VitaMix.

Hannah April 8, 2011 at 6:43 am

Having just started full-time work, I too have had to realise that it’s better to post less often but to a standard I’m happy with, rather than churn out lacklustre posts just to feel I’ve done something. Hurrah for leniency with ourselves!

Christine @ Burning It Off April 8, 2011 at 6:54 am

Oh my, Murphy looks kinda scary in that picture… he usually looks so sweet! I agree that it’s better to let people wait for a really good post than to churn out a mediocre post just for the sake of posting something.

Marie @ Peonies&Cupcakes April 8, 2011 at 8:18 am

I think your title post says it all & it’s so true that passion drives success in life & especially with careers! Tina, so happy you found your passion & I am sure all your CNC readers appreciate your passion.

Keep up the great work!

erin April 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

I was doubting my ability to run a half, but after reading your successes over the past few weeks I’m determined to do one!! It’s a little harder being a working, breastfeeding mom to a little tiny one though, but I WILL DO IT!!

Two questions…what kind of protein powder do you use? I’m going shopping at Sunflower Market tonight for produce and want to get some protein powder too.

AND….where did you get your cute long levi shorts? I’m definitely in the market for some if this Utah weather will ever cooperate!

Maria April 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

I never put cooked grains in my smoothies. I will have to give it a try!

Melissa April 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

hehe “pug creeper.” that gave me a giggle.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com April 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

Tina, your blog is fantastic. I’ve been reading since you started and feel so much joy just reading about your daily life. For me, reading CNC has become a ritual and I’d read whether you were talking about food or your kitchen sink. In a very strange way, you’ve become such a part of my life that I’d read no matter what :)

Jay April 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Love your basic smoothie recipe, especially the protein powder and the chia seed. Can’t get much healthier than that!

Jaylan July 8, 2011 at 12:31 am

The genius store cllaed, they’re running out of you.