• Cha Cha Chia

April 14, 2011

Chia pug? So ridiculous, but I love it.

chiapug

Here are some more photos of chia dogs!

Lunch

I often receive questions from readers about chia seeds, which I eat almost every day— just like today in my smoothie that I drank for lunch. In the mix: half of a frozen banana, raspberries, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, chia seeds, and a scoop of almond butter.

I also ate a bowl of leftover roasted broccoli for lunch.

Ok, back to the chia seeds.

So, I’m in the middle of reading Born to Run, which I like so far. I haven’t gotten to the barefoot running stuff yet, but the background info is really interesting. Anyway, the author sums up the awesomeness of chia seeds quite well:

In terms of nutritional content, a tablespoon of chia is like a smoothie made from salmon, spinach, and human growth hormone. As tiny as those seeds are, they’re superpacked with omega-3s, omega-6s, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, fiber, and antioxidants. If you had to pick just one desert-island food, you wouldn’t do much better than chia, at least if you were interested in building muscle, lowering cholesterol, and reducing your risk of heart disease; after a few months on the chia diet, you could probably swim home.

So, that’s what chia seeds are all about! If that doesn’t sell you on them, I don’t know what will!

Speaking of Born to Run, if you’re in town for the Boston Marathon, Christopher McDougall is hosting a Naked Run Around Back Bay on Saturday, April 16th at noon!

Ice Cream Truck Battle

For the locals:

Ben & Jerry’s and b.good will be in Harvard Square TODAY to give out free treats in an “Ice Cream Truck Battle” to decide who has the greatest ice cream truck in Boston and raise money for Back on My Feet!

logo

The event takes place from 4:00 – 6:00 PM outside b.good’s Harvard Square location at 24 Dunster Street.

Off to take Murphy for a hike. He has a lot of pug energy today!

Heather April 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm

cutest chia pug ever!how do you find this stuff?!?

The Red Velvet Life April 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Wow, that’s a pretty glowing endorsement of chia seeds!! I’ve been eating them for awhile now (sprinkled on oatmeal or mixed into my smoothies like you!), but I didn’t know they were so good for me. :-) Score!

Roxanne @ LittleMadamB April 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Chia Pug is très cute! Curse having limited internet and not being able to fully enjoy all the random-ness it has to offer!

Stephanie April 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

How would you compare chia seeds to flax seeds in terms of nutrition? I don’t really like the flavor of chia seeds but love flax seeds. Am I missing out on anything by using only flax?

Amanda @gegal.wordpress.com April 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Love the Chia Pug!!

That little snip-it on chia seeds was great, I’ve been incorporating them into my diet but I didn’t know ALL of their benefits!

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) April 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow, you completely sold me on trying Chia Seeds. On the list next grocery shop! woo hoo

Molly April 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Another pug picture that is hilirious beyond words-thank you!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love chia seeds, especially in oatmeal. It’s crazy how much nutrition they pack in! I think I’d have to disagree with that author though… as awesome as chia seeds are, I think I’d want something a little more filling if I were stuck on a dessert island. :P

Khushboo April 15, 2011 at 1:02 am

Amen to that! Peanut butter would by desert island choice….or good ol bread!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka April 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for posting about chia seeds, I just got a pack in the mail today and am excited to break into them! I want my dog to be a chia dog! I guess he could be since he is part “chia”huahua!

Hannah April 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Okay, I’m giong to sprinkle chia seeds on my dinner tonight! I’ve got a tofu curry dish planned. Chia will provide a nice crunch :)

April April 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Thank you so much for providing info. about chia seeds. Although I’ve wanted to add them to my diet for quite awhile, I’m now convinced I need to – now. I’m also convinced I need to read “Born to Run.” Where do you buy your chia seeds? I feel like when I do a search for them on-line I come up with chia seeds to grow. I know they’re probably the same, but buying a bag of chia seeds for a garden just feels weird to me. My grocery stores do not carry them as I’ve checked already earlier this week.

Thanks!

Hilary April 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Wish I had an ice cream truck battle where I live. :( Wow…didn’t realize chia seeds had that much going for them….not sure if I’ll jump on the bandwagon yet though!

Chetney April 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Do you sell chia seeds in your store?

Khushboo April 15, 2011 at 1:01 am

Wow chia seed is powerful stuff! I knew it was good but I can’t believe that “a tablespoon of chia is like a smoothie made from salmon, spinach, and human growth hormone”. I’m glad that I finally got my hands on it!

Jenn April 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Born to Run was a fantastic book – although Christopher McDougall spends a lot of time with some seriously wacky runners. It’s definitely entertaining and informative, and the amount of research he put into the perks of barefoot running had me go out and try it. Still, my favorite running book is The Long Run.

Angela May 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I can’t find the other blog where you mentioned “Born to Run” but wanted to tell you I picked up a copy after seeing it here (and then stumbling on it at Target) and couldn’t put it down! I had been on the fence about barefoot running and have decided to make the leap and get a pair of Vibrams in the near future. I am sure I will feel silly the first few runs but I am excited to try it. Anyway, thanks for mentioning the book! Definitely one of my favorite in a while!
    ~Ang

Jennifer September 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I have never tried or heard about chia seeds until reading your blog. Can you eat them sprinkled on sugar free pudding? Also what do they taste like?

Cheryl C. September 3, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Hi! I just came across this post. I am Chia Pug’s (Lola’s) mom. I’m cracking up about how viral she’s become :) Thanks for posting her pic!