• Carrboro Eating Tour

April 10, 2011

One of my favorite things in life (besides pugs) is exploring new cities. I love wandering around, experiencing all of the new sights and sounds, and, of course, trying the area’s special foods and restaurants. Today, Anne and I ate our way through Carrboro, North Carolina.

After making breakfast at home (blueberry oatmeal + nut butter), Anne and I headed to Open Eye Café for a boost of caffeine.

Open Eye is a café with a funky, bohemian vibe. Today, the atmosphere was lively—it was bumping with customers on Sunday morning—but chill at the same time. There were also tons of people working behind laptops and quietly reading.

IMG_0028 (640x480)IMG_0029 (640x480)

Open Eye doesn’t serve iced coffee (the horror!), so they offered to make me an iced Americano (espresso shots + water + ice). With a slash of soy milk, it was just how I like my iced coffee— strong, bold, and slightly creamy. It was GOOD!

With drinks in hand, Anne and I grabbed a table at Open Eye and chatted away. Once we finished, we walked around downtown Carrboro, which included a visit to the Co-op and Fleet Feet (a running store), where we both scored some on-sale gear. Sweet.

Before we knew it, our stomachs were grumbling for lunch, so Anne and I popped into the Spotted Dog for lunch.

Of course, I loved this dog-themed restaurant. How could I not?!

The menu included lots of vegetarian and vegan options.

And “doggie” microbrews! So fun!

For lunch, I ordered the Sandwich & Soup combo, which came with a house salad and half of the Featured Salad of the Day. Today it was a toasted sandwich with melted Jack cheese, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and chipotle mayo. It was simple, but fresh and flavorful.

IMG_0044 (640x480)IMG_0045 (640x480)

Anne and I both saved room for dessert, so Maple View Farm was the next stop on our food tour. Anne raved about Maple View Farm (on her blog and in person), so I was super excited to visit and try their ice cream.

The country store and views of the farmland did not disappoint!

IMG_0053 (480x640)IMG_0059 (480x640)

It took me a little while to select flavor, but, eventually, I picked the Carolina Crunch, which was caramel ice cream with chunks of Heath Bar, Butterfinger, and caramel cups mixed in.

Yummmmmmmm! Anne was right—amazing ice cream!

Anne and I enjoyed our ice cream outside on the front porch.

I can’t believe how quickly the weekend fly by! I feel like it was just Friday afternoon, and I sipping a vacation beer at Sandwhich in Chapel Hill.

It was so great spending time with Anne this weekend. Of course, I wish we lived closer, so we could hang out all of the time, but maybe I’ll just have to visit her again soon. I loved the Chapel Hill area!

The Red Velvet Life April 10, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Love me some rocking chairs and ceiling fans (not many of either in San Francisco)! And that Carolina Crunch looks TDF. :) This post makes me want to explore a new town….

jaclyn@lifeoftodayslady April 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm

That restaurant is so so so cute!!! I always save room for dessert too! And that ice cream looks like the perfect reason to do so :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 11, 2011 at 12:08 am

SO cute and fun–I would totally have gotten that same flavor of ice cream as well :) Great minds think alike for sure!!

Alaina April 11, 2011 at 12:17 am

Oooh, that ice cream sounds so good right now! I love exploring new cities as well. Even re-exploring cities that I just visit to see family, but not really tour around (ie. Portland and Bangor, ME)

Noya April 11, 2011 at 12:31 am

Chapel Hill looks like a cute area, and the ice cream looks AWESOME. Perfect treat for such a hard 5k

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 11, 2011 at 12:57 am

I love those rocking chairs on the porch! I don’t think porches exist in California- it’s my goal to own a home with a porch one day :)

khushboo April 11, 2011 at 3:00 am

I don’t even knw what a Heath bar is but that ice cream sounds so goood! I love salted caramel ice cream+ butterfingers!

Hats @ See How She Runs April 11, 2011 at 5:16 am

I love exploring new towns and cities too. There is no better way than moving from coffee shop to restaurant to coffee shop (maybe a bar, too?). Eating your way around a city is great fun!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 11, 2011 at 5:32 am

that eating tour looks soo awesome!!

Amelia April 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

I can’t think of any better flavor of ice cream than the one you ordered! Yummmmmmm

Christine @ Burning It Off April 11, 2011 at 7:08 am

That ice cream looks/sounds to die for. I love old fashioned ice cream parlours… they always have the best quality ice cream and they’re so adorable!

Sarah@naturaldiabetic April 11, 2011 at 7:33 am

Loved your weekend posts! We used to live down there, and I miss is so much. Seeing your pics and all the fun places you visited makes me want to go back soon. And Maple View is the best! Have fun!

Stephanie April 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

I love all of the rocking chairs in front of the store! They’re like reminders of a time gone by…

Melissa April 11, 2011 at 8:53 am

I just drove through there yesterday on my way home from Charlotte! North Carolina has some great cities for exploring! I’ll keep your suggestions in mind the next time I get down there!

Green Dog Wine April 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

Isn’t Chapel Hill amazing?!?! I lived just outside of there for a year, and it was the best year of my life! (sadly – I moved back to boring ol’ Cleveland) I remember walking through UNC like you guys did and wishing so badly I could do college all over again and go there! :) Glad you two ladies had a wonderful weekend and that you made it home safely to your boys! ;)

Liz April 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

Ahhh I love that ice cream place. One of my best friends is from Chapel Hill, and it’s about five minutes from her house!!

christie April 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

Looks amazing!! I love eating my way thru cities as well… especially with the guide of someone whose already from around the area and knows the ins and outs like no other.

Stephanie April 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Glad you had fun in Chapel Hill. I had no idea you’d be so close to my daily stomping grounds!!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner April 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Haha, whenever I see a Heath Bar, I always have to correct myself. At first glance, it always looks like HEALTH! :)

Grapeful April 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm

OMG, I live just minutes from there! I live in and go to school in Chapel Hill and have been following your blog since 2009. So weird that you visited my backyard! And thanks for the reviews on Open Eye. I pass by there all the time since my friends and I love Tylers (the restaurant nextdoor) but have never before checked it out.

Westward Bound May 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

If you’re ever back in Carrboro, you MUST check out Carrburrito! Best burritos you’ve ever had!