• ABC’s of Me

April 14, 2011

A lot of bloggers have already posted this “ABC’s of Me” game, but I thought it still might be fun and maybe you’d learn something new about me! Feel free to play along in the comments section!

A. Age: 30

B. Bed size: Queen. But, most nights, it seems much smaller with a husband and pug, who are serious bed hogs.

C. Chore you hate: Cleaning the tub. I will not do it. Everything else is fair game. No tub.

D. Dogs: Dogs!?! I hate dogs!

IMG_9403

E. Essential start to your day: Iced coffee!

_MG_5922

F. Favorite color: Sky blue.

G. Gold or silver: Sliver.

H. Height: 5’4”

I. Instruments you play: Ha! What timing! I just shared this story with Anne and her boyfriend over the weekend.

Starting in elementary school, I played the flute and continued to play in high school and my freshman year of college. Apparently, playing an instrument in college isn’t very cool? Hey, I didn’t know!

When I entered my freshman year, I considered joining the school’s orchestra, but I didn’t want to commit so much of my time to it, so I joined the “flute ensemble,” which practiced much less often. I was a member of the flute ensemble for several weeks until I decided that drinking beer in my spare time was much more enjoyable.

Last night, I told Mal this same story (somehow he didn’t know it), and his response: “Wow, you’re lucky you made friends at college.”

J. Job title: Blogger. Author. Pug Mama. Cookie Monster.

K. Kids: Someday. Probably two. Not for a long, long time.

L. Live: In a bungalow south of Boston.

4607

M. Mom’s name: Dona.

1805

N. Nicknames: Peter, Christine, T.

O. Overnight hospital stays: Just one.

P. Pet peeve: Loud chewing.

Q. Quote from a movie: “That rug really tied the room together.”

R. Right or left handed: Right.

S. Siblings: One sister, one step-sister, one half-sister, and one half-brother.

T. Time you wake up: Monday – Friday at 6:01 AM, except Wednesdays when I wake up at 4:45 to run with Back on My Feet.

U. Underwear: Thongs.

V. Vegetables you dislike: Water chestnuts. Keep them away from me!

W. What makes you run late: Usually, my husband! I hate being late, so I stress out like crazy when I am.

X. X-Rays you’ve had: I can’t remember any, but I wore a Holter Monitor for 24 hours once.

Y. Yummy food you make: Cookies!!!

MG_8468

Z. Zoo – favorite animal: Otters!

Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! April 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Otters are my favorite zoo animal tooooo! Also, why in tarnation do you wake up at 6:01 AM VOLUNTARILY?! If I didn’t have to be at work by 7 I would be eeking every last ounce of sleep out of the 7 or 8 AM blocks as possible. I do all my best thinking at night anyway! :P

Tina April 15, 2011 at 7:03 am
    Molly April 14, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I appreciate your punctuality. I hate hate hate being late and others who are late.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 15, 2011 at 12:51 am

Aw, I love otters! I used to have a stuffed one- a toy, not a real otter that’s been stuffed… haha!

Khushboo April 15, 2011 at 12:57 am

Call me nosey but I love when bloggers reveal their ABC’s! Unpunctuality also drives me nuts, especially as I’m always punctual! I feel that making people wait is an indirect lack of respect for their time.

Tatomme April 15, 2011 at 2:18 am

Hey Tina,

My friend just asked me to run a half marathon with him in a month. I run everyday, but I’ve never run a long distance like that. What do you suggest? Is it do-able!? I’ve always talked about it but when the time comes I put it off… What should my training look like if I want to run it in a month, exactly?!

Tina April 15, 2011 at 7:04 am

@Tatomme: Check out Runner’s World’s Smart Coach! It’s awesome!

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 15, 2011 at 3:24 am

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) April 15, 2011 at 6:43 am

You hate dogs like I hate dogs. ;)

FUN post!! :D

Anne P April 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

Hahaha Mal’s response to the flute story is amazing.

Baroque Diva April 15, 2011 at 7:36 am

As both a long-time CnC reader and a professional musician (fulltime opera singer), I feel I really should throw my 2 cents into this one. It’s not often that music is mentioned on my favorite foodie blogs! I was super interested to read your story, Tina!

I will admit that it was just a LITTLE off-putting to read to me, as well. But I totally get it- it’s a light-hearted funny story to tell, and Mal’s comment was just something anyone would say, as a joke! Totally ok!

On the other hand, sure… to have something I’ve dedicated my life to be ridiculed to the point where it’s assumed that you can’t be “cool” or have fun in college is just a teeny bit hurtful. I don’t think I’m being hypersensitive, it just my legitimate feeling! I would have preferred to read about something you love about playing the flute, instead of a little story mocking the idea of it.

I’m currently in Europe singing, and over here classical music is revered by the general population, and they have a MUCH deeper respect for it. I don’t fault you Tina (I call myself a music nerd all the time!), but it raises an issue that interests me greatly:

Why in the U.S. do we assume something so inspiring and beautiful and timeless like classical music is NERDY?

I think at a time like this, where the National Endowment for the Arts is being threatened to lose their funding (along with PBS, NPR…) that we should make the effort to show how valid the arts are in our society- not the opposite.

Keep on writing Tina, and I’ll keep reading! :) Glad this whole issue came up! And hey! Anytime you guys want free opera/concert tix, lemme know! It would be my pleasure!

Tina April 15, 2011 at 7:40 am

@Baroque Diva: My story was truly ment to entertain. I loved playing the flute all of those years– I took lessons, tried out for competitions, played in a summer band every year. Music was (and still is) a big part of my life. I didn’t stop playing in college because I thought it was nerdy; it just didn’t fit into my life like it once did.

Thanks for your comment! You made a lot of good points! :)

Baroque Diva April 15, 2011 at 7:52 am

@Tina: Yes, of course! Thanks for the forum to express something I’m so passionate about! :)

Jillian April 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm

@Baroque Diva:
    I totally get what you’re saying, but at some point it’s merely a matter of opinion and personal taste. A lot of people find classical music boring and uninteresting- just like a lot of people don’t think hip hop or rap is legimate music. Personally, I’m not sure why the term “nerdy” is ever taken as an insult anymore, unless they are a child in school who is being ridiculed- as an adult, the term is rather endearing, I think, and a lot of people use it that way now.

Kelsey April 15, 2011 at 7:42 am

I love The Dude! Best movie ever- my boyfriend and I quote it at least (at least!) once a day.

becca (bellebottoms) April 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

My favorite zoo animals were otters too! so stinkin’ cute :)

I also love that you wake up at 6:01am….I set my alarm for 5:27am….not sure why I can’t add on that extra three minutes to round it out… haha

Casey W April 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

BIG LEBOWSKI! :) Love it, dude.

Amy April 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

ahhh i HATE cleaning the tub and the toilet…so annoying!! but they get so gross so someones gotta do it hah. veggie i dislike? asparagus!

Jamie @ getalivingsense April 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

Ah I can’t believe you dislike water chestnuts! They are one of my absolute favorites because they have THE best texture ever, hands down!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Ha, that picture of you two in the house is priceless. It’s like “HECK YEAH WE OWN THIS”. Which is exactly how you should feel ;)

Emily April 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing

Lindsay April 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I’m glad you shared your abc’s! I did that on my blog a few weeks ago, and it was so much fun!! I hate being late, I love a cookie, and if you love otters, our home town in Monterey, CA is the place to be, I’ll wave “hi” to those floating cuties next time I whiz past them on my bike!!

Christine April 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm

These were so fun to read! Especially the random ones we have in common (HATE water chestnuts. Seriously they have no taste and have the texture of a dried sponge!).

Amy April 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

Eating water chestnuts is like nails on a chalkboard to me… and that just gave me shivers… eeek!

lety December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm

i liked =)

Malarie June 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

So…I have been reading your blog for a few months now. I came across this post and after reading it I wanted to make a comment. I wasn’t sure if it may have already been said. So, I glanced at the old ones only to find these ridiculously sensitive music people, and for some reason it made me angry. Haha! I felt like I needed to tell you that it’s your blog and your opinion. I happened to think Mal’s comment was hilarious. You guys sound like fun. Anyway, my original plan was to say this: PLEASE tell me that picture of you two “dancing” in the new house is the scene from Stepbrothers when they make bunk beds…”We have so much more room for activities!!!” …just my initial thought.