• Sun Porch Progress

March 31, 2011

When you’re a homeowner, the projects never end! Here’s another one in the works at our house!

November 2010

When Mal and I first moved into our new house, the sun porch was pretty much the last priority on our list. It sat empty for months.

4588

January 2011

In January, Mal and I drove out to my in-law’s barn to pick up these side tables that hadn’t seen the light of day for years. They sat on the porch for another couple of months.

March 2011

Recently, the warm Spring weather motivated Mal and me to get our act together with the sun porch. Once again, we drove out to my in-law’s house to pick up a wicker bench and table that were in storage. That same day, Mal and I picked out paint samples at Lowe’s for the side tables. We decided on yellow.

Last week

I went to Homegoods and bought a couple of cushions and a pillow for the wicker bench.

Mal and I haven’t committed to a shade of yellow paint yet for the side tables.

Maybe next week?

hallie April 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

I think you should paint the furniture light blue. i think the yellow will clash with the white in your window sills where light blue will match the floor and your house. Just my opinion!! I like your side tables a lot.

Tina April 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

@hallie: We thought about blue, but our porch is a light gray/blue, so I think the colors might be too similar.

Stace April 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

I personally love the yellow idea! In the second picture from the bottom, i love the the color that is in the 2nd sample starting from the top, the shade on the right side of the 3 choices. Did that make any sense? I think it is just light enough but just bright enough at the same time! I also love those side table… my friend has ones in that same style that I have always looooved.

Christine April 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Buttery yellow looks awesome as part of a grey-white-yellow palette so I would think it should look great against the blue-grey tones of the flooring. I like it!! I wish I had a sunporch, they’re so cute!

Lindsay April 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I love the additions to the sun porch it’s coming along great!! I am uber jealous of that amazing space!! I love the yellows they will go great with the gray-blue floor and cushions!! I personally like the shades that are a bit darker, plus they won’t show as much dust or dirt. I like the 2 colors on the left in the bottom picture. And maybe even a bigger rug!!

Tracey April 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I would love to have a sun porch! Maybe sometime in the future I will have a house that has one :)

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds April 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Have you thought about painting the porch floor boards? That might be an interesting contrast.

Kelly April 1, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Haha that’s exactly how my projects go! One step at a time!

Elia April 2, 2011 at 12:53 am

I love the patterned pillow you bought at Home Goods. I wish we had a Home Goods store here in Washington state, but not so lucky. I purchased a quilt about 5 years ago with the same patterns/fabric. Absolutely love the pillow.

Kim April 25, 2011 at 11:08 am

Hi, I’m no designer but have a few ideas for you. I would leave the tables as they are if yellow is your theme color then how about looking for a rug that has the color yellow in it as well as others such as oranges, blues, green. Once you put a rug like this down you will see no paint is needed. also how about some nice floor length sheers in a pretty light green to soften the room use decorative pots in the same colors that are in your rug or paint your own clay pots and add greenery. I would definately recommend that you find a rug that brings life to the room and then after if you decide you would liket ot paint your furniture go for it. doing it first you may regret later and have to do it again. Good luck enjoy your beautiful space.