• I Love Lamp

March 8, 2011

Pretty fancy lamp, huh?

_MG_1419 (426x640)

Well, it didn’t always look this way. Mal and I found a pair of them in his parents’ barn and they were a total mess.

4509 (640x480)

The lamps were covered in a thick layer of dust and cobwebs.

5025 (640x426)

And completely not working.

5053 (640x426)5065 (640x426)

They even had bird poop on them.

5057 (640x426)

Yes, bird poop.

5080 (640x426)

But, despite their initial appearance, I saw the potential.

5052 (426x640)

With a little tender loving care and a special Portfolio Bottle Lamp Kit from Lowes, I transformed these ugly barn lamps into sophisticated master bedroom lamps.

Each lamp repair kit cost just $10 and included everything that I needed (parts, directions, etc.) to rewire and repair the lamp. It was actually fairly easy to do– and I didn’t electrocute myself!

081069506832xl

I ended up buying new lamp shades from Kmart, but, even still, the lamps were very affordable in the end. Let’s just say they were definitely cheaper than buying new lamps, which are weirdly expensive.

_MG_1411 (640x426)

Now, one of the lamps is on Mal’s bedside table and the other one is on my dresser. You can see more photos here.

_MG_1419 (426x640)IMG_1406 (427x640)

So, if you have a lamp (or two) that needs to be repaired or you stumble upon a broken one with lots of potential at a yard sale or flee market, you now know there’s a way to fix it! Happy DIY-ing! :-D

Teague March 9, 2011 at 3:44 am

I’m just on the last book in that trilogy! Make sure to tell Mal that it keeps getting better!

Rae March 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thats good to know! I just finished the Girl who played with Fire and I was so po/ed at the ending, I threw the book across the room! I need to find Hornets nest!

Sarah March 9, 2011 at 3:53 am

Loving the Anchorman reference there; cannot beat that film x

Angela (the diet book junkie) March 9, 2011 at 4:59 am

so cool! i can barely sew on a button. (yup, sad but true.)

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) March 9, 2011 at 7:17 am

Good for you for seeing beauty in an old antique! I wish I was crafty like that. It came out beautiful! :D

jenna March 9, 2011 at 8:58 am

that lamp looks so great now!!! go you, martha! ;)

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 9, 2011 at 9:04 am

Heh – nice Anchor Man reference. ;-)

CMae March 9, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Lamps ARE weirdly expensive. We shopped for bedside lamps about a year ago, and I was shocked to find out that most have three-digit price tags.

Amy March 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve actually been looking for lamps lately and you’re right, they’re ridiculously expensive and not even that cute! I’ll have to try finding one at the Good Will or a garage sale this coming spring, thanks for the tips!

Debby March 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Hi

I came across your blog via a couple of other blogs I read like Dietitian on the run. And I just wanted to say is that a Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book I spy on your table! I am almost done with the book and find it very good, what do you think?