Quinoa seems to be the grain* of the week! First oatmeal and smoothies, now muffins!
The quinoa and canned pumpkin make these muffins very moist. The dominate flavor is pumpkin, but there’s also a subtle nuttiness from the quinoa, which also gives the muffins a protein boost. The raisins and walnuts add just the right amount of texture and crunch.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Coat muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line muffins cups.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl; blend well.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin tins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until muffins are cooked through.
- Allow to cool before enjoying.
Makes 12 muffins
* Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient “grain” once considered “the gold of the Incas.” [source]