• My (Second) Most Hated Chore

February 10, 2011

Yesterday afternoon, I tweeted this:

2011-02-10_0758

I must have received at least 50 replies agreeing that unloading the dishwasher is one of the worst household chores ever. Actually, for me, cleaning the bathtub is the worst chore ever, but unloading the dishwasher is a close second.

_MG_9705 (640x426)

I still haven’t unloaded the dishwasher from yesterday, so now the kitchen sink is overflowing with dishes. I should probably get on that, huh?

Breakfast

I tried something new for breakfast this morning: Coconut Butter! OpenSky is always sending me new products to try. Sometimes, I like them, sometimes, I don’t, but this one is a hit with me! :-D

I drizzled the Coconut Butter on top of my English muffin with peanut butter and banana on it. It’s so delicious, I’m actually sort of worried that I’m going to start adding it to everything!

_MG_9750 (640x426)

I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk with breakfast.

_MG_9744 (640x426)

After breakfast, I still wanted something to eat, so I ate a bunch of walnuts.

_MG_9755 (640x426)

What is your most hated household chore? Tell me how you really feel!

P.S. You remember my “30 Healthiest Foods Challenge,” right? Well, I wrote a post on Trading Up Downtown about how these foods score on the NuVal scale. Be sure to check it out!

Lisa February 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Unloading the dishwasher is the bf’s hated chore too so it’s usually on me. I hate doing yardwork or taking out the trash so he does that.

janetha February 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I don’t mind the dishwasher.. I loathe folding clothes, though! I have clean piles of laundry in almost every room.

Rebecca February 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I hate scrubbing the pots and pans after a big meal. Luckily my husband isn’t afraid to help out!

Christine @ Merf In Progress February 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love unloading the dishwasher! Everything is so clean and sparkly. I hate anything dirty — toilets, eww.

Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life February 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I just saw this in an e-mail forward today and I thought of you and your mom’s quote!

Where did the phrase piss poor come from?

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & Sold to the tannery…….if you had to do this to survive you were “Piss Poor”.

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn’t even afford to buy a pot……they ” didn’t have a pot to piss in” & were the lowest of the low.

K February 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I like doing laundry and folding the clothes, however it’s the putting away that I loathe. It usually ends up folded in the basket or on a chair and without a doubt I know I’ll find a sleeping cat on it!

Lisa @ healthy Hokie February 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Folding/putting away laundry… I dont mind washing it, but sometimes days will go by where clean clothes sit crinkled up in a laundry basket before I get around to it..

MelanieF February 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Folding clothes!!! I hate it! I just hate everything about laundry anyway. I don’t know why, I just do. I don’t mind unloading the dishwasher, doing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom or vaccuming. But, doing laundry, I just hate it!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Agreed on the dishwasher, luckily hubby takes care of the shower and bath. :-) But I always end up with the dishwasher and laundry. Coconut butter is great, but I always have to put it in my dehydrator to soften it up or it’s rock hard.

My most hated chore is probably vacuuming since it’s such an ordeal getting the vacuum out, switching plugs, etc.

Cheryl February 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Haha — just think of those of us who don’t have dishwashers! Actually it’s probably easier that way…just wash ‘em as you go. (Having no washer/dryer has the opposite effect though. Oh hai, giant-ass pile o’ stinky workout clothes…)

Kacy February 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hands down, vacuuming. I have so much hair that vacuums just can’t handle it and the floors are always dirty. Ugh.

VeggieGirl February 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

We dont have a dish washer :( I really want an awesome one!! And a washer and dryer! I think in the future washers and dryers will be in a chute style, where you chuck your clothes in one end, and they pop out dry and pressed at the end of the chute (in my dreams lol!!)

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

My dishwasher is busted right now and I want to through it out the window! I also really don’t like laundry, or washing floors. To be honest, I am thinking of getting a housekeeper- But I feel like I should be able to do it. Hmmm. maybe I’ll go clean right now…

Alison February 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I don’t have a dishwasher either and other than times when everyone and their mother is over for dinner, I actually don’t miss it! I HATE unloading the dishwasher..and due to that fact, dishes used to sit in there forever…while dirty ones piled in the sink. NOW, I seem to just use and wash and dry immediately so my kitchen is much more zen (in my mind) then during my dishwasher days.

Wendy Irene February 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

toilet & bathrooms for sure!!!

Leah @ Why Deprive? February 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I dont have a dishwasher, but I would LOVE to hate unloading one. :)
    My most hated chore is definitely putting away laundry. I have a pile in my bedroom from sunday that I still havent touched.

Freya February 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I don’t get it – I LOVE emptying the dishwasher – it’s my favourite chore!! Doing the rubbish is the worst :(

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest February 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’m with you–I hate cleaning the bathtub. I scrubbed ours last night and it was such a pain!

We don’t have a dishwasher, so I don’t think I would mind unloading one.

Brittany C. February 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I absolutely loathe putting up clothes. I don’t mind the spending my Sundays washing and drying clothes or folding them but when it comes to putting them in the drawers or hanging them up, they will sit in my clothes basket for a week or longer!!!

Jodie February 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I have to say my worst household chore would be my weekly household clean, feels like it takes ages of of putting everything away before I even start cleaning! Our weeks are so hectic so the mornings & nights are rush rush!
    Regarding the dishwasher, I have a stacking plan in place….i put all my knives together, forks together, large spoons and so on, so you put cutlery straight in draw. As for plates etc, i also stack them how I want to put them away….it works really really well.

Melissa February 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Cleaning the tub. Hands down. Blech. I’m upset just thinking about it!

Annette February 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I too HATE putting dishes away. I make my husband do it (actually he is such a gem he does it because he knows how much I dislike it!)

Hilary February 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm

What’s the taste/texture like of the coconut butter? And what are the nutritional stats? I’m curious to try! And unloading the dishwasher isn’t my favourite thing to do….but it beats the alternative of handwashing everything!

Emily W February 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I don’t mind unloading the dishwasher… I am thankful for it, because doing dishes is my most dreaded task!

Ella February 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Frankly I am grateful to HAVE a dishwasher to unload! i just moved from NYC where we had no dishwasher for 5+ years. I smile to myself every time now.

kell February 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm

since i do enjoy saving money at the grocery store (without compromising nutrition, of course) i buy all my spices in bulk – it does save tons of money – and i love that it is more eco friendly, not wasting little jars each time i need a a refill – but i would definitely say refilling the spice jars – transfering the spices from little plastic bags to their respective jars is by far my least favorite chore.
    . . . do you have any tricks to make this easier??

Hannah February 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Actually, I really like unloading the dishwasher! This might be because I don’t have one, so it’s always such a relief when I housesit for my parents and don’t have to wash everything by hand…

I hate hate hate cleaning the bathrooms, ie cleaning the toilet, mopping the floor.. ugh!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I hate mowing the lawn! I hate that it’s always hot and buggy out when I have to do it and I somehow always end up falling into bushes and scratching up my legs.

Courtney February 10, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Oh my gosh, it totally is!! Hate hate hate… I’ve told my parents I won’t buy a dishwasher when I get my own place, just so I don’t need to unload it. ;)

Jen S. February 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Ugh. Emptying the dishwasher. I, too, hate this task. Luckily, I found one of the only men who was trained well by his mother: he empties the dishwasher, checks the washer and dryer for forgotten loads and processes them (meaning, he actually folds and puts away laundry and irons his own shirts without being asked!), and cleans the bathroom. I spoil him rotten with good food and lots of snuggles for being so awesome!

Laura February 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I HATE vacuuming! I would really love a Roomba so it can just take care of that chore for me.

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking? February 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I hate cleaning the bathroom, but since it isnt’ often enough, I would have to unloading the dishwasher is definitely the top one. I usually do it while the water for my tea is boiling… else I’ll never get to it. :-)

jenna February 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

this is gonna sound strange but unloading the dishwasher is one of my fav chores! ha.

Stephanie February 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Most hated is cleaning the bathroom. So, I usually convince my boyfriend to do it lol.

Megan@eatmybeets February 10, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I. hate. folding/putting away . laundry. I would rather do 10 loads of dishes (loading and unloading). Actually all kitchen chores are my forte when it comes to chores.

Caitlin Henig February 11, 2011 at 12:33 am

With a toddler and a baby and NO dishwasher (oooold house), I think I’ll be singing every time I empty my future dishwasher after we remodel our kitchen later this year. I hate laundry and picking up toys because both chores make me feel like Sisyphus rolling that darn stone up the hill!

Jessica @ Racing to Thirty February 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

My most hated chore is folding laundry. No, worse than that, cleaning the bathrooms (especially the toilet). It just grosses me out.

Naomi February 11, 2011 at 1:11 am

like you, i hate unloading the dishwasher. i also hate folding and putting laundry away. i think its because i have limited space for both and hate trying to cram everything back where they belong.

Michelle February 11, 2011 at 7:43 am

I go out of my way to NOT unload the dishwasher! I have told my husband this and since I do most of the laundry and bathroom cleanings, he puts up with me avoiding this chore :)
    I recently read an article in Women’s Health about the benefits of cinnamon and have been adding it to my coffee and yogurt/berry/cereal breakfast each morning. It is a nice little extra boost of flavor and good for me!

Sherisse February 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

Clean the bathtub while you’re having a shower! When you are done washing, use your body puff or cloth with a bit of soap on it and wipe it around, and youll never actualyl have to clean the tub! Every second shower I either do the walls or the tub :)

CampingGirl February 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I hate cleaning the shower! A close second would be cleaning the floors.

Alaina February 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I really don’t like doing laundry. The process is too time consuming. I actually don’t mind putting away dishes. :-)

Katrina February 11, 2011 at 9:03 pm

You and me, Girl. LOVE Ellen. Tape it everyday. It’s 7 p.m. Friday night and I just turned on today’s episode. (I secretly “really like” Justin Bieber, too.) I have four boys and they can’t stand him–I think they are really just jealous of him.
    AND–HATE emptying the dishwasher, too. Seems so easy and such a clean thing, but I put it off until the sink and counters can’t stand it anymore. sigh

Richelle February 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

I don’t have a dishwasher, so doing the dishes is the worst chore for me. I find it so time consuming. I also hate dusting!

Joy February 12, 2011 at 9:20 am

My least favorite is trash and my most favorite is sweeping!

Monica February 12, 2011 at 9:27 am

Yes, cleaning the tub is the absolute worst!!!!!! So annoying and it takes so much effort and it never looks as clean as it should despite your hard work!!!

Martha Lilian February 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I cannot stand vacuuming and with two dogs that shed A LOT, it is something that needs to be done frequently. I’m also not a huge fan of ironing. Apart from those two things, I really enjoy cleaning and keeping things neat and tidy!

Audrey February 15, 2011 at 1:40 am

You really don’t like unloafing the dishwasher? For me, loading and unloading are my favorite chores. The one I can’t stand? Clearing cluttered surfaces. Ugh!