• Well Rested

January 14, 2011

Mal and I had a really early flight to Phoenix today, so we decided to stay at a hotel in Boston last night and just grab a cab to the airport this morning. It made our morning so much easier.

Now that we live outside of the city, we took the commuter rail into Boston yesterday afternoon.

Mal and I decided to leave our big winter coats at home since we were headed to a much warmer climate, but he dealt with the cold much better than me. Doesn’t he look cool in the cold?!

Yikes! 8-O

Our friend, Katie from The Colonnade Hotel, offered to treat us to an overnight stay, so we could just wake up and go to the airport.

She hooked us up with a beautiful suite! You can see more photos of it here.

Within minutes of our arrival, Mal and I heard a knock at the door and in came a wonderful spread of goodies!

Mmm! All of my favorites!

Mal and I were both starving, so we chowed down!

YES!!! :mrgreen:

A little while later, Mal and I headed downstairs for dinner at Brasserie Jo, an authentic French brasserie in the lobby of The Colonnade. (Katie also treated us to dinner. She wanted to make sure that we were properly fueled for our big race!)

Our dinner at Brasserie Jo was really something special. The chef prepared a tasting menu for Mal and me, so we had the opportunity to try a number of new dishes– many of them not on the menu. I swear, every dish seemed to get better and better as the night went on. All I know is that Mal and I were stuffed to the gills by the end!

We started with warm French bread, which was truly amazing. Mal and I almost finished the entire loaf!

For appetizers, Mal and I shared Crab Roulade and Escargot.

The Crab Roulade was light and refreshing. It would be perfect for a warm, summer day.

The Escargot was the highlight of the evening for both Mal and me. It was buttery, garlic-y, and, oh, so delicious. Mal and I practically fought over them!

With the marathon right around the corner, Mal and I refrained from drinking alcohol, but we were more than willing to try a couple of mocktails.

The first one that we tried was a Cucumber -Cilantro Mocktail made with strained cucumber juice, simple syrup, and cilantro. It was crisp, slightly sweet, and delightful. Yes, delightful. (I’m not sure I’ve ever used that word on CNC before?)

Next up was a flatbread pizza made with glazed and grilled pork belly, New Hampshire bacon, and really good cheese– it might have been Fontina? Being the bacon-lover that he is, Mal especially loved this dish. He ate 5 or 6 pieces of it.

The next dish was easily my favorite dish of the evening (besides the escargot, of course): Ginger Grilled Salmon. The salmon was served with leeks, mushrooms, and spinach in a smooth, gingery sauce. My gosh, it was heavenly. I was so full at this point in the evening, but somehow I managed to eat half of the portion all by myself.

Mal and I finished off our first round of mocktails, so the bartender whipped up another creative mix for us. This one was made with pomegranate juice, Sprite, and muddled blueberries. Yum! It was also delightful! :-D

The main course included two meat dishes: Beef Beaujolais and a lamb dish served with root vegetables.

I ate a couple of bites of each, but I was so stuffed. Mal, however, had room for both!

The final course of the evening was dessert, which, of course, I always have room for!

Mal and I shared the Alsace Brioche Bread Pudding, which was covered in chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I dominated this dessert.

Mal dominated a dessert called a “floating island,” which is a French dessert consisting of meringue floating on a vanilla custard. I liked it, but I’m much more of a chocolate gal.

Food coma = good night of sleep! Mal and I both woke up so well rested this morning.

THANK YOU, Katie, for kicking off our marathon adventures on the right foot! :mrgreen: I cannot express to you how much Mal and I appreciate your generosity.

More to come!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

“pomegranate juice, Sprite, and muddled blueberries. Yum! It was also delightful! “-

Looks awesome!

The pics of the hotel room look sooo soothing!

I hope you get a great night’s sleep and ROCK YOUR RACE!!!!!!!!!!

Julie January 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

WOW!! That’s a ton of food and it all looks so goood. Carb-loading for the marathon, eh?? Good luck to you and Mal! Hope you have a rockin’ race on Sunday

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Have fun!! Can’t wait for the recaps for both you and Mal! Good luck this weekend!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Oooohh dessert is the best way to carb load, isn’t it? Both look great, but I think I’d prefer the chocolate as well!! Safe travels tomorrow!

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds January 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

What a beautiful hotel… good luck at the marathon! Cross that finish line!!! hehe :)

Annette January 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

WOW! That sounds completely fabulous! That was really nice of your friend–she sure got you started for the weekend right :)

Amanda @ Just Amanda J January 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

That hotel looks so gorgeous! How awesome that you guys were treated to such an awesome night, very special :) And I must say that you are very adventurous in your food choices, I really don’t know if I could manage eating escargot!

Steph@stephsbitebybite January 14, 2011 at 9:55 pm

So excited for you guys! My heart starts racing just thinking that tomorrow morning is your big day! All the training, sweat, soreness, injuries, gu packs, lost adventures, and the many, many miles already ran are for this moment! You are gonna kill it!!! Sleep tight and go get em :)

Emily January 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

what an epic meal to start off your exciting weekend!

Ashley @ Will Run for Food January 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Yum…everything looks amazing!! *wipes drool off keyboard*

Jess January 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm

It makes me smile, you guys look like you’re having an awesome time. Can’t wait to hear about the marathon!! It makes me wonder. Marathons are great, but at the end of the day, it always seems to be more about the journey you take to get there.

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Wow. That’s a ton of food!!! Good luck in AZ!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

That dinner looks ah-mazing!!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 14, 2011 at 10:28 pm

What a terrific way to start your marathon weekend! So nice!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 14, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Wow, what a wonderful night!! Glad you made it safely. :)

Lee January 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I’m so excited for you! Can’t wait to hear about the race.

Jessica January 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Wow that hotel room looks awesome. Good luck tomorrow. I was in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot chillier then I thought it would be. Hopefully it is a bit warmer, but anything would be warmer then Boston right now.

Mymy January 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm

That zebra bag (in the first picture) is to die for!! Where did you get it?
    Just wanted to wish you both all the success you deserve for working so hard :)
    From a constant, yet anonymous, reader in Granby ( Québec, Canada)

Tina January 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Target.

Becca@ Start Over From Scratch January 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

What a beautifully presented meal! It looks so delicious! Perhaps I’ll run a marathon if I get fed a meal like that before!haha

Ann @ Day by Day January 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm

That hotel room looks great! And what a nice dinner! I’d love to carbo-load on some food like that. Good luck with everything this weekend!

Maryann January 15, 2011 at 2:00 am

Looks amazing!!

colleen January 15, 2011 at 8:41 am

What at an outstanding way to start your marathon weekend.

laine January 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

That makes me want to take a vacation at that hotel!! Even though I live 1/2 hour south of Boston. Everything looks heavenly!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

This looks like the best possible way to kick off your marathon weekend! :D

Alaina January 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love the colonnade! Cindy is one of my favorite concierges in the city. :-)

And Brasserie Jo is also amazing. I LOVE the flatbreads. I could easily eat one or two…pizzas.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 15, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow, it sounds like you had a fabulous dinner!! yum!

Monica January 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Great use of the word delightful! It is an awesome word. ;)

Jamie January 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

I have to say if I ever take a trip to Boston, I am booking that hotel, Katie seems so sweet!