• Sweet Potato Breakfast Pudding

January 24, 2011

Hello, Monday! 😯 Is anyone else not quite ready for this week? The weekend just went by too quickly. Maybe some iced coffee will help?

Last night, Mal was watching football, so I was bored. My eyes glazed over after watching about 15 minutes of it, so I decided to do some cooking. I had a few sweet potatoes on hand, so I got a little creative in the kitchen.

I made a sweet potato bread pudding using mashed sweet potato, whole wheat bread, honey, soy milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and an egg. I’m still surprised it turned out so well!

_MG_8476 (640x426)

Sweet Potato Breakfast Pudding

Makes 1 serving

• 1 cup sweet potato, mashed
    • 1 piece of whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • 2 tbsp soy milk
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
    2. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth. (Be sure to break up the pieces of bread.)
    3. Coat an oven-safe dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour in mixture.
    4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
    5. Remove from oven, top with your favorite ingredients, and serve warm.

This morning, I reheated the Sweet Potato Breakfast Pudding and topped it with two scoops of Teddie peanut butter, chia seeds, and raisins. Holy yum! It sort of reminded me of warm custard.

_MG_8469 (640x426)

I also drank an iced coffee with breakfast.

_MG_8473 (640x426)

Live Well Challenge

How do you stay fit in the winter?

What is your favorite healthy snack?

What are your tricks for preventing a cold?

Share your live well tips here and they might be featured in an upcoming issue of Woman’s Day magazine!

What was your favorite TV series when you were growing up?

I think Punky Brewster was my favorite series, but The Cosby Show was definitely a close second! I still stop and watch it when I catch reruns on TV.

Katie January 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

Definitely The Wonder Years … Kevin & Winnie :-)

Sweet potato breakfast pudding looks delicious … especially today. The temp this morning was 6 degrees. AHH!!!

Heather January 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

I loved Punky Brewster, Full House, the Cosby Show and Wonder Years.

That breakfast looks amazing – I have a sweet potato I need to do something with on my counter.

Stay warm – it was 1 degree out!

Ashley (The Vegetable Life) January 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

I had to struggle to get out of bed this morning, especially as it was below zero outside!

I still love the Cosby show!

megan January 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

Ohhh goodness that breakfast looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes! It was a much better way to use your time than watching football :)

Sara (Miles & Manhattan) January 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

That sounds DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing!

Mimi January 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

The Brady Bunch was probably my favorite, but the Cosby Show is up there, too.

In fact, “Theo” was on The Community last week… And I think he stole one of Bill’s sweaters!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

OMGEEEEEEEE that pudding looks like exactly what I need. And I have sweet potatoes!!

Jess (Sweet Potato) January 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

Omg I totally have to make this. I kind of like sweet potatoes (If you couldn’t tell by the name of my blog :))

Erica January 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

How do I stay fit in the winter? Workout DVDs! What’s not to love? You get to work out in the comfort of your own home & save time by not commuting (especially for northerners who have to battle snow).

My favorite healthy snack is a honeycrisp apple. Simple, sweet, and delicious!

Ever since I’ve started incorporating lots of greens into my diet I’ve been getting significantly less colds every season. As a matter of fact, I haven’t had one yet this winter!

That sweet potato pudding looks delicious! My mom makes something kind of similar but I believe pecans, sugar, and lotsa cinnamon are involved. :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hands down, my favorite show when I was a little kid was Fraggle Rock. Seriously, I think my parents had to take it away from me at one point. Anyhow, the sweet potato bread pudding sounds amazing! I have a lone potato in my fridge, totally going to try this!

Julie January 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

Full House, Boy Meets World, MMC and Kids Inc. I watched A LOT of TV. not even kidding.

Amber K January 24, 2011 at 11:45 am

Same here! I watched a lot of TV, and those four shows were the ones I watched the most!

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle January 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

I loved Punky Brewster!

And Saved By the Bell of course 😉

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh, The Cosby Show was (and is) so great! Such a good family show that’s funny, pertinent, and still appropriate for all ages.

I also loved Full House and Who’s the Boss…until I had a strange dream about Tony Danza. I had to stop watching after that. (awkward!)

Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run January 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

I did love the Cosby show, it is definitely a classic but I just loved Facts of Life

Coco January 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m 22, so maybe my favorite shows are a little different. But I was a HUGE Nickelodeon fan as a kid. My older brother and I would watch Clarissa Explains It All, Are you Afraid of the Dark?, and Doug alllll the time.

Gracie January 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

As I read this, I have a breakfast sweet potato casserole of sorts on my lap. Great minds think alike! 😉 I’m a huge fan of bread pudding, so I’ll definitely have to try your recipe stat.

My favorite TV shows growing up – definitely Full House and Saved by the Bell. I still *have* to watch them when they happen to be on!

sarah (sarah learns) January 24, 2011 at 10:38 am

monday morning definitely came early this week. :( yuck. full house was my favorite tv show when i was growing up! i had the biggest crush on uncle jesse.

Kristin January 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

Saved by the Bell was definitely my favorite! Loooved Zack Morris :) But then again I also loved Golden Girls when I was younger, weird? Yes.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

I loved the Golden Girls when I was younger too!! And Empty Nest! 😀

Maria January 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

Oo that breakfast pudding looks divine! And I think I would have to say my favorite show growing up would be a tie between Salute Your Shorts and Hey Dude!

Danica January 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

My favorite shows were definitely Full House and 7th Heaven. I could’ve watched those shows all day when I was in middle school…

Lisa @ treadmill runner January 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

Definitely FULL HOUSE!! But SAVED BY THE BELL is a close second! :)

Breakfast pudding..looks really yummy.. and I like that it requires all ingredients I already have in the kitchen!

Amelia January 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve got some sweet potatoes and stale bread to use…maybe I’ll be making that tonight.

I loved the Golden Girls and still do and I’m not in their demographic! I also loved the Cosby Show, Family Ties and Facts of Life.

Julie (Food & Other Things) January 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

This question brought back so many memories! I loved Saved by the Bell and Wishbone.

Lu January 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

My favorite way to prevent a cold is by drinking lemon tea with just lemon and water. It is a boost of Vitamin C and the warmth is comforting. However, I think that Sweet Potato Bread Pudding is a close second to it for preventing a cold. Delicious!

Jennifer@keepitsimplefoods January 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

If I feel a cold coming on, I make sure to pop a multi vitamin before going to bed. Works like a charm. I’m also a big fan of the netti pot.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

That sounds great! I loved those, too. I had so many favorites: Full House, Saved By the Bell, the updated Brady Bunch one with Suzanne Sommers, and Charles in Charge. (When I was younger, I loved Small Wonder!)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

I loved The Cosby Show, Full House, and Growing Pains. :)

Katherine: Unemployed January 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

I still always love your serve-wear

Jess @atasteofconfidence January 24, 2011 at 11:48 am

I loved Full House!

Katrine January 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

I just started following your blog last week and am LOVING it! Thanks for your fun food ideas and tidbits to get me motivated. I did my first body pump class last week and feel inspired! And I totally rocked Punky Brewster sneakers in 3rd grade!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yummm!! I wonder how this would taste using pumpkin instead of SP? Probably a bit less sweet, but it’s worth a shot.

Jess January 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

love sweet potatoes, i may try a large version of this for dessert when my parents come to town in a few weeks. btw, the cosby show is my favorite! no matter what kind of day i’ve had this clip always makes me smile:)
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSvGdfOfLFw"anniversary clip

Jess January 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

i typed too quickly! one more time. the best part is seeing phylicia rashad laugh and have the such a good time.
    anniversary clip

Lisa January 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm

What an awesome breakfast idea! I LOVE sweet potatoes and yams.

Kelly January 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Punky for sure! My Sis and I were just talking about that show Saturday……… When I hear that theme song I wanna cry!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

What a cool breakfast idea! I love sweet potatoes:)

When I was growing up I loved Full House & Boy Meets World. And now I love running to reruns in the morning!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 24, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I was obsessed with 7th Heaven growing up! But only the early seasons – it started going downhill later on. 😛

Allison K January 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Bill Cosby is the only celebrity that I have truly met (not just seen or something like that). When I was a kid, my dad was a judge and one day Bill Cosby was a witness in one of his cases! My mom took my brother and I down there to surprise us. I was NOT impressed at having to go sit in the court room (Bo-oring)…but it was hilaries. He was cracking jokes the entire time….one of my favorite childhood memories.

Allison K January 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Hilarious. Not Hilaries. wow. Good spelling.

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I miss Punky and the Cosbys !! Wish there were some shows like that on still today… As long as I don’t have to give up my Jersey Shore ! LOL

Hilary January 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Boy Meets World! I just bought another season on DVD…can’t get enough of that show!

Mari January 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

The Cosby Show was my favorite!!! Also loved Growing Pains and Who’s the Boss!!!

SuperChunky January 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm

OO!! EE!! AAaahh!! Love’n the whole sweet potato thing … especially the Teddie Peanut Butter addition!! :-O Thanks for the shoutout!!

CaSaundra January 25, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve been on quite the sweet potato kick lately–this sounds great!

The Healthy Apple January 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Full House and Step by Step were my favorites growing up!!!