• RNR Arizona: Meet and Greek

January 15, 2011

After breakfast, Mal and I headed out in search of iced coffee. We loved visiting the Public Market this morning, so we ended up back there and popped into the super-cute, hole-in-the-wall Royal Coffee Bar for coffee.

I ordered an iced coffee with soy milk.

With iced coffees in hand, we walked back to the hotel for TNT’s jersey decorating event.

There were all sorts of fun decorating materials, like puffy paints and brightly-colored, iron-on letters, but Mal and I stuck to black permanent marker.

On my shirt, I wrote my name on the front and one of my favorite running mantras on the back. It says: “U R STRONGER THAN U THINK.” Hopefully, it’ll get me through the tough parts of the marathon.

After decorating our shirts, Mal and I spent some time relaxing by the pool before meeting Monica and her husband, Ben, for lunch.

Monica and Ben suggested a little Greek restaurant called Athenian Express, which was just a short walk from the hotel.

For lunch, I ordered the falafel meal, which came with five falafel patties.

Pita and a side salad.

It hit the spot! Just what I wanted!

We ended up spending a couple of hours at the restaurant just chatting away. It was so nice to spend time with a couple that Mal and I had so much in common with. (I just wish they didn’t live on the other side of the country!)

Up next: Team In Training’s Inspiration Dinner!

Val @ Balancing Val January 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm

So excited for you guys! :D

Is there anything your worried about or your cucumber cool?

Sarah January 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

oh fun! i love monica! i want to go on a vacation to somewhere i can meet up with a favorite blogger!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Woo, good luck! And HAVE FUN!

Ellen @ Cinnamonalicious January 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I love how you have that written on your shirt! Such a good idea! :)
    I’m so excited for your marathon! Almost feel like I’m running it too, lol!

Nadine January 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm

wwwwwooooooooohoooo! that’s a great slogan! Love when blogger paths collide! This looks like so much fun!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

blue sky + sun glasses… it looks like summer time in arizona!

Heather January 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Looks like amazing weather in Arizona!

Great job with the shirts – I’m sure they will bring you good luck tomorrow. Enjoy your dinner!

Meghan@travelwinedine January 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

You are so ready, no worries! Good luck tomorrow!

Ellie @ The Mommyist January 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

It’s getting close. Very exciting. You seem so calm. I think I’d be very nervous! You will both do great!

jen @ taste life January 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

That looks like such a great time! And I can’t believe the fabulous weather out there…I’m ready to move out of snow-country!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I can’t believe that tomorrow is the big day! I’m so excited for you, you will do great!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) January 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm

The coffee shop looks super cute! I want to go hang out by the pool today. (It is 1* here today!)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Looks like a fun day! The food looks delicious! Enjoy your even tonight and good luck tomorrow!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

LOVE falafel! And it looks so sunny there, I’m envious! I feel nervous and excited, vicariously, for your marathon! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

So glad the weather warmed up a bit…I heard it was really cold last week!
    Goodluck tomorrow!!!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Looks like you had a great day. I think it’s so great that you two are doing the race together!

Amanda @ Eating Up January 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I love falafel! That looks like a great lunch with the salad and pita too.

Lacey @ Lake Life January 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Your lunch looks so good! I think I really need to try Falafel.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Love what you wrote on your shirt! Great looking lunch…I love Greek food.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yes!! Love that saying. I tell it to myself during my long runs. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm

What an awesome lunch! I love falafel – the best I ever had was from this street corner dive in Paris.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Love your TSHIRT!

Have fun at the TnT Inspiration Dinner! eNjoy your prerace meal!

And get some sleep and rock that race, Tina!! :)

tami January 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I hope you took a little practice run in those shirts to see how it feels-beware of chaffing

good luck!!

stacey-healthylife January 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Your shirts look awesome.

Amanda @ Just Amanda J January 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

The weather looks amazing out there! So jealous :)

Baking 'n' Books January 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Oh God – is that the SUN?! What is that?! LOL – so sick of winter already :)

I don’t comment much, but living vicariously in Arizona right about now…

Sara January 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Tina i live here in phoenix and read your blog EVERYDAY…you have not even began to experience the good restaurants that phoenix has to offer. you should try Gallo Blanco at the hotel Clarendon. their guacomole and tacos are to die for. Also there are a bunch of great places in scottsdale to eat. any of the Fox restaurant concepts are heavenly. If you are looking for something a little more casual Pita Jungle is my absolute favorite. Good luck with the run. i have been keeping my eyes open for you all weekend hoping i would just randomly see you downtown.
    blessings

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear all about the race! :D

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish January 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Have a great time at the inspiration dinner! It definitely gets you so pumped for the marathon, and for me…calmed a lot of my marathon jitters!

Hannah January 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Gosh, who knew running a marathon would be like summer camp? :D

Jess January 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Gosh, looks like you guys are having a blast! Meh!! I’m so psyched to hear about the race!

Lizzy January 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Good luck tomorrow Tina! you have this and you and mal are going to do AWESOME tomorrow!!! i can’t wait to hear all about it

Margaret January 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Good luck tomorrow, to you and to Mal! Have an awesome race!

Sana January 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Bloggers always have soo much in common!!!

ashley@quasichick January 16, 2011 at 12:30 am

I love falafel. It is what I always order when I eat Greek :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 16, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love your inspirational quote. And Greek food rocks my socks!

Maryann January 16, 2011 at 1:20 am

Looks yummy and relaxing!

Lisa@Smart Food & Fit January 16, 2011 at 7:11 am

Have fun and good luck! I love your mantra!