• RNR Arizona: Day 1

January 14, 2011

Here’s a little preview of what I will look like when I cross the finish line of the Rock ‘N’ Roll Arizona Marathon:

I am such a dork.

But, seriously, the countdown has begun! 8-O

[rewind to 6:30 this morning]

Breakfast

At the airport before our flight, I ate a pathetic-looking banana that I brought from home. It did a lot of traveling, so it got a serious beating. It still tasted alright!

I also had an iced soy latte and oatmeal with toppings from Starbucks. Perfect Oatmeal rules.

Snack

On the plane ride, I snacked on some Butter Cruncher Cookies. I’m not going to lie, I really wished the flight attendant had given me two bags of these. They were so incredibly tasty: flat and crispy, but buttery with chunks of butterscotch throughout. Holy yum.

(I’m kind of obsessed with butterscotch lately.)

Lunch

By the time we arrived in Phoenix and checked-in to the hotel, it was almost 3:00 PM (EST), which meant that I hadn’t eaten for nearly 8 hours. Not surprisingly, I was cranky-hungry. So when Mal suggested Hooters as a joke, I agreed without protest. I wanted food in my stomach ASAP!

As expected, the menu at Hooters was atrocious (the food was even worse), so I ended up eating fried pickles and curly fries for lunch. Clearly, it was a lunch of champions!

Mal and I quickly downed our food at Hooters, paid our bill, and headed straight to the Health & Fitness Expo. We were SO EXCITED to officially begin the marathon festivities!!

Ahhhhh! SO FUN!

First, Mal and I checked-in and picked up our race numbers, and then we wandered around, tasted samples, tested running gear, and made a few purchases. We soaked it all in.

Wouldn’t this shirt be perfect for Murphy!?! :lol:

Dork.

Mega dork.

Mal and I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the area and enjoying the beautiful weather. It was 75 degrees and sunny today. I do not miss Boston at all.

Mid-afternoon, we popped into Starbucks for a couple of iced green teas.

Dinner

For dinner, Mal and I enjoyed a little southwestern fare at Sam’s Cafe.

We started with chips and salsa.

And for my entree, I ordered the roasted veggie tacos, which came with black beans. I loved the variety of roasted veggies in the tacos. They tasted so fresh.

I’m absolutely pooped after today. Heading right to bed.

Good night!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 15, 2011 at 9:56 am

I love fried pickles…and Mal’s “finish line” picture. Too funny! :-)

SaraK. January 15, 2011 at 10:05 am

“Mal and I quickly downed our food at Hooters, paid our bill, and headed straight to the Health & Fitness Expo.”

I love this sentence.

Lacey @ Lake Life January 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

It’s so cute how you and Mal can be so dorky with each other. That’s true love right there!

Good luck today :-)

Lacey @ Lake Life January 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

Whoops! Thought the race was today, not tomorrow! Good luck TOMORROW :-)

OSGMOM January 15, 2011 at 10:41 am

Ange told me you were in Phoenix for the Rock n Roll marathon! Just looked at the marathon route & see it goes thru Scottsdale so going out tomorrow to cheer everyone on. Perfect weather here :) Rest up, fuel up & have a great run tomorrow!

Carrie January 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

Good luck! I stared reading your blog about 6 months ago after I moved from Boston to AZ (I miss Boston terribly!). Now you are here and will run right by the house. Will be cheering for you!

erica January 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

How funny! We went to Hooters randomly yesterday and I ate the same thing! Enjoy your time here, it’s beautiful and best of luck tomorrow :)

erinn January 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

Ahhh you were at the Arizona Center! I go to school right down the street at Arizona State’s Downtown Campus. Have fun!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 15, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’ve never had fried pickles before. I cannot imagining anything fried tasting bad. Although, I have had a fried snickers bar and I wasn’t a fan. :) Enjoy your day!!

steph January 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

best of luck today !!

Noreen January 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love fried pickles! Good luck! I’m sure you will do great!

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well January 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Oh man! I’ve totally eaten at Sam’s! If you get a chance, go back and get a marg — they have a ton of delicious ones. :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ohh I would have totally asked for another bag of Butter Crunchers! :)

Jess January 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Oh that Southwestern food look Ah-mazing!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I love that picture of you crossing the finish line! To think, you won the marathon in jeans. ;)

steph January 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

so excited for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hooters may not be the best food, but when it’s the first thing available and you’re starving, it probably sounded like heaven…at least for a few minutes, hehe.