• Crockpot Rookie

January 10, 2011

I never blogged about dinner last night because I was waiting (im)patiently for it to finish cooking!

Crockpots are amazing, but if you wait until the afternoon to start your dinner, you’re not going to eat it until nearly 9:00 PM. Oh, well. I’m still a Crockpot Rookie. Live and learn, right?

_MG_7688 (640x426)

So, what was I waiting for all night?

_MG_7694 (640x426)

Coffee-Braised Brisket with Potatoes and Carrots!!! Coffee-braised meat?!? Sign me up! Yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds! 😀

_MG_7724 (640x426)

I’m actually sort of obsessed with this meal. Here’s why:

• It was so easy to make! Just throw everything in a crock pot, stir a few times, and wait 7 hours.
    • It was budget-friendly! Brisket is a very affordable cut of meat—even at Whole Foods! I was pleasantly surprised.
    • There weren’t too many dishes to clean. Crockpots rule.
    • It tasted amazing! I still can’t get over the flavors and texture of the brisket. Holy yum!

_MG_7727 (640x426)

I loved this meal, but there’s always room for improvement. Here’s what I would change:

• Stronger coffee flavor. Next time, I’ll use a coffee with a more bold flavor. I used Eight O’clock Coffee, which was good, but I think a brand like Starbucks or Peet’s would give the meat more coffee flavor.
    • Crusty bread. I wish I had some bread to sop up the delicious sauce! I totally dropped that ball on that. Clearly, I’m a Crockpot Rookie.

The photos above are from last night’s dinner. I ate the leftovers for lunch today.

_MG_7809 (640x426)

I had a bowl of Coffee-Braised Brisket with Potatoes and Carrots and a Carrot Cake Muffin on the side.

_MG_7816 (640x426)

Murphy, of course, kept a close watch on my food.

_MG_7801 (640x426)

_MG_7804 (640x426)

Off to work on my taxes. Boo.

Leah @ alilofthisalilofthat January 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You will LOVE crockpot cooking once you get the hang on it! The only downfall.. if your cooking for one.. you have leftovers FOREVER!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Crockpots are fun, I was obsessed with mine a couple of years ago trying to make as many meals in it as possible. Great that dinner was ready when I got home from work and the whole house smelled wonderful.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love crockpot meals!! But yeah, you definitely have to start them first thing in the morning to have it ready in time for dinner. I remember sitting near my mom while she would be starting crockpot meals when I was younger..and I kept asking why she was starting it so early because we just had breakfast!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm

for being a rookie, that meal looks super wonderful!!!

Amanda (Eating Up) January 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve seen a similar recipe, and I bookmarked it! Glad to know it’s as good as I thought!

Maria January 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

This recipe makes me want a crock pot. So delicious and easy!

Becca@ Start Over From Scratch January 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm

If you turn the crock pot on high it usually cuts the cooking time in half. I learned that after a few 9:00 dinners! Coffee and meat has become really popular! Def a must try! I also need to get the crockpot its been way too long!

Sally January 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm

YUM, I love the combination of coffee with red meat! I like to mix equal parts coffee grounds and steak seasoning and use it as a rub for flank steak. The grounds give the steak such an awesome crust!

Mary January 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm

You can also cook it on high for quicker meal times.

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Awwwww…. Murphy! :)

I love crockpot meals! 😀 I need to make them more often!

Brenda @Year 25 January 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Looks like the perfect meal! Crockpots are the best!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Coffee Braised Brisket sounds delicious and interesting! I would have never thought of braising meat with coffee. 😉
    PS – Those Carrot Cake Muffins sound delish – I’m gonna check them out over at TUDT right now… 😀

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Coffee in dinner? Sign me up! 😀

JessicaE January 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I wanted to warn though, that sometimes turning to up to High WILL cook the meat faster, but often times it is not as tender. :) Especially on tougher cuts like brisket.

BroccoliHut January 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I just got the same Crock Pot–and I am definitely still a rookie myself!

Lisa@Smart Food & Fit January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

The meal looks good. I agree with JessicaE, turning it up too high will result in a tougher chewier meat.
    I used my crock pot today and quickly added the ingredients in around 11 am this morning for it to be ready for dinner by 6pm!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I always put my crock pot meals in before work around 7 in the morning. They are ready to go when I get home!!!

Laura January 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love my crockpot.
    I’ve never had coffee-infused beef. That sounds pretty good!

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm

The only thing that makes crockpots even better is the liners you can buy and cook the food in. Makes clean up a breeze. I actually made my chili today in one :-)

Hannah January 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Coffee-braised meat?! Heck yeah! And I’m not even that big a fan of meat…

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) January 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Good for you for getting started on your taxes now!!

Kristin C January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm

you seem to be doing wonderfully with the management of your sweet tooth!! congrats!

Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone January 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I love crockpots. We actually have two though I haven’t used them both at the same time… yet. I’m just bad at the setting it up and forgetting it when I’m home. It is too tempting to peek inside and see how everything is coming along.

Rochel January 11, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love crockpot meals. Be careful, overcooking it is just as ‘dangerous’ as leaving too little time to cook. Glad you enjoyed, it looks yummy.

Jen @ Making Messes January 11, 2011 at 9:04 am

That looks amazing….. Who wouldn’t love coffee and meat…..

Kate @ahealthypassion January 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’ve never used a crockpot before i’m just never sure what to put into it but that meal looks simple and delicious I might have to wipe the dust off mine and give it a shot!

Sarah January 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Mind if I ask what brand/type of crockpot you use and how you like it? I’m in the market for a new one and Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly mixed!

Jess January 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Crockpots are the best! I love coming home to a delicious smelling house after my crockpot has been cooking away all day. Its the greatest!

Karen January 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I bookmarked this page a while ago and finally got around to making it today…for some reason after 8 hours on low my meat was still super tough :(