• Winter Lentil Soup

December 1, 2010

The Cookbook Challenge continues!!

Here’s another soup recipe from Real Simple Best Recipes: Easy, Delicious Meals. Chili for a Crowd and now Winter Lentil Soup. I guess I’m on a soup kick this week!

_MG_4044

I halved the recipe and forgot to buy kale, so here are the ingredients that I used:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 3 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into 1/4-inch-thick half moons
    • 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
    • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1/4 cup brown lentils
    • 1/2 tablespoon thyme
    • Salt and black pepper

_MG_3967_MG_3971

IMG_0003

_MG_4023

And here’s what I did with those ingredients:

I heated the oil in a large saucepan. Added the leeks and cooked, stirring occasionally, until they began to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Then, I added the tomatoes and cooked for 5 minutes.

_MG_4007_MG_4017

_MG_4034

Next, I stirred in the sweet potatoes and added 3 cups water.

IMG_0011

Then, I added the lentils.

IMG_0016IMG_0017IMG_0018

And thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

IMG_0022

I let the soup cook on medium-low heat until the sweet potatoes and lentils were tender, about 25-30 minutes.

_MG_4046

This is the perfect soup for winter. Seriously. It’s full of flavor, comforting, hearty, and so tasty. I’m already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!_MG_4049

Have you tried any new recipes from your cookbooks lately?

Tina December 2, 2010 at 7:34 am

@Preeti: I’d put it in with the rest of the veggies, but check the original recipe! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

This looks amazing! I love hearty winter soups like this.

RhodeyGirl December 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

Yummmmm I love all of those ingredients, especially leeks!!!!

Emily December 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

Leeks are my new favorite ingredient. Who knew?!!

Katie December 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

This looks so good and I was planning to incorporate lentils into dinner somehow. Do you think mushrooms would go well with these flavors? I have a ton of those to use too..

Amelia December 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

I’m loving the sweet potatoes! Thank god it’s right before lunch because now I’m hungry. I’ve got to get that cookbook!

MelanieF December 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I just ordered from Amazon the 3 America’s Test Kitchen cookbooks: Family cookbook, healthy family cookbook and the baking cookbook. All 3 are great. This morning I made the Vitamin C smoothie from the Healthy Family Cookbook and it was the best: orange juice, mangos, strawberries and honey.

Candy December 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

This is on the stove right now – it’s so full of yummy, healthy ingredients it’s insane (I used the kale, too) and I can’t wait for it to be done. Thank you for sharing this!

I made my favorite Artichoke and Tomato soup from Joe Piscatella’s cookbook last week. I used quinoa pasta (needed to be gluten-free) and it was fabulous and satisfying, not to mention super healthy.

Alyse November 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

The next cold day I will be making this soup! Yum! : ) Great Pics!