• Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom Risotto

December 13, 2010

Did you think that I forgot about my Cookbook Challenge?!? I love a good challenge, so there’s no way that I could have forgetten! (I actually cooked this recipe last Wednesday night, but never blogged about it! 😉 )

Back in July 2008, I received The Bon Appetit Cookbook as a wedding gift, but nearly 2.5 years later, I have yet to make a single recipe from it. How pathetic. 😕

The first recipe that I chose to make from this cookbook was Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom Risotto. It sounded simple enough! 😉

I had hoped to find the recipe online, so I just could link to it, but, unfortunately, I had no such luck. However, I found a very similar recipe from Sandra Lee for Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Risotto. It has a lot of the same ingredients, but instead of porcini mushrooms, it calls for any type of “sliced mushrooms,” which is exactly what I used in the Bon Appetit recipe! 😉 (I don’t even know where to buy porcini mushrooms. Does a regular grocery store sell them?)

So, I basically took a “fancy” recipe it brought it down to my cooking level, which is that of the Real Simple Best Recipes cookbook. I’m telling ya, I’m not much of a chef. I’m much better at eating than cooking! 😉

The Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom Risotto came out really well. It was actually a lot easier to make than I thought it would be. I added chunks of chicken breast and spring greens to the mix– and called it a meal. I’d definitely make this recipe again. Delish!

The Bon Appetit Cookbook is pretty intimidating to me, but I’m not giving up on it so easily. I also picked out a fun cookie recipe to bake from it later this week. It may or may not involve chunks of Butterfinger! 😀

P.S. If you haven’t heard already, Angela from Oh She Glows is a finalist in Project Food Blog. Please VOTE for her!!!

Jasmine December 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I adore a good mushroom risotto. It’s one of life’s best foods.

I’m glad you mentioned Oh She Glows. I voted for her, and am pretty excited to see her as a finalist!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

This looks like a really good dinner — I’ll have to see what Sandra Lee’s recipe is — sometimes her ideas are good and some just sound terrible!

I’ve been so consumed with holiday baking that I haven’t been putting much effort into amazing dinners — I need to get back to that!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 13, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love risotto so much. Wish we were having that for dinner!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) December 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm

i used to be really intimidated by bon appetit as well – my cousin kristine (related by marriage) used to be their food editor for over 20 years and when i finally started trying the recipes she sent for me to try, i realized it wasn’t as scary/fancy schmancy as i feared! (that may be her recipe!)

Alli December 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I loooooove risotto! It’s my go-to meal when I need to impress my company, and mushroom is my favorite (not to be a douche and link to my own blog, but this is my version – it includes cheese!: http://wickedgoodnom.com/2010/09/26/mushroom-and-gorgonzola-risotto/)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Risotto is one of those things that intimidates me. I’ve never tried to make it at home!

Stephanie December 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Love risotto! It’s really not as intimidating as it sounds either – so glad you gave it a try. Bon Appetit has amazing recipes, can’t wait to see some more from this book!

Silvia December 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Porcinis are sooooo good in risotto, so much flavor! Unfortunately, they are uber-expensive, and mostly only avail dried, your best bet is North End Italian stores.

grocery goddess jen December 13, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Voted for Angela this afternoon :)

I have never made risotto, and I have to say I think I’m a little intimidated by it, too! Glad yours turned out so well.

the blissful baker December 13, 2010 at 7:31 pm

oh that looks delicious!! i’ve never made risotto before, but now i definitely want to try.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) December 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Risotto is such a fabulous comfort food and it’s not really as hard to cook as it seems!

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Risotto is our favorite!! I love how you eat it over greens :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 13, 2010 at 7:47 pm

There is not much better than a good risotto. Bon Appetit’ is awesome; you should definitely try more recipes!

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 13, 2010 at 7:49 pm

this really couldn’t sound more amazing…i LOVE roasted garlic and mushrooms together!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 13, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Love mushroom risotto! This looks so good. I am really impressed with your going through with the cookbook challenge. This is a hard one. I really need to be better about using mine. Have a great night Tina!

Shanna December 13, 2010 at 7:56 pm

For some odd reason, risotto intimidates me. I need to ‘man-up’ and make it one of these days =P

Jennifer Demartini December 13, 2010 at 8:05 pm

YUM! Looks like you’ve put your wedding gift to good use:)

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss December 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

That looks delicious. And cookies with Butterfinger chunks? I can’t wait for Cookie Friday now! 😉

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) December 13, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I’m curious to know if Mal noticed your new hair color yet?!? 😉

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 13, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I have a bunch of cookbooks and hardly ever crack them open. It’s just so much easier to use the Internet but you’re making me want to get back to the books.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 13, 2010 at 8:16 pm

anything involving chunks of butterfingers is worth sticking around for :) I use up extra halloween candy by putting chunks of BFingers in oatmeal. Makes the day a little happier :) haha!

Hannah December 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Oh heavens, that looks so good I almost can’t stand it! I adore mushroom risottos :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Looks lovely! I haven’t had risotto in awhile!

Jess @atasteofconfidence December 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I love risotto- so good!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf December 13, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I love the Bon Appetit recipe for Wild Mushroom Risotto! I used a dried mix of wild mushrooms, which I rehydrated for the recipe.

Porcini mushrooms are hard to find fresh in the states, but you can find them dry at any “fancier” grocery store or World Market.

Kris December 13, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Aging myself — I also received a Bon Appetit cookbook for a wedding gift — in 1984! I used it a lot, so much that the binding broke. Once in a while I look at and remember how much fun I had using it. Time to pull it out and put it to use!

Stefanie December 13, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Looks delicious! And I have to say, I’m not much of a cook myself. The simpler, the better. Luckily, simple can still mean tasty. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic December 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

This recipe sounds right up my alley! I love risotto. I’ve seen dried porcini mushrooms at Shaw’s but not the fresh ones…

Allison December 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

Mmmmm. Risotto!! I remember I found porcini mushrooms once for a three mushroom vegan pizza. I think I found mine at either meijer or in the natural food store down the road. Either way, they’re available dried. :)
    And mushrooms are delicious.

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 14, 2010 at 7:03 am

I’ve always thought risotto was extremely hard to make. I guess I was wrong. This looks delectable! 😀

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

Mmm, I love risotto but I’ve always been too intimidated to try making it. I guess it’s not that hard after all. 😀

Pixie December 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

I’ve been doing your cookbook challenge too! It’s such a great idea. I am making risotto tonight for the first time, I only hope it turns out as good as yours looks.

Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing December 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

Sounds delicious! I’ve been obsessed with mushrooms lately!

Kelsey Geist December 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

Risotto is amazing. Love it.
    A great Chef I know once said that she is having an on going love affair with risotto…

I made a Squash risotto for Thanksgiving and it turned out amazing! It was my first time making it and I was pretty proud of myself. It was my favorite dish of the day.

Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’ve seen a lot of risotto recipes lately but have yet to ever try making it.

Kelsey January 1, 2011 at 10:01 am

I should do a bookmark challenge! I bookmark a million recipes and I’ve only ever made a small fraction of them.