• It’s Getting So Close

December 30, 2010

The marathon is getting so close!! I can’t believe that it’s a little over two weeks away. I feels like we were just signing up for it! It’s getting real, people! 8-O

A special box with all of our Team In Training gear arrived in the mail today.

_MG_6671 (640x426)

Inside was our uniforms, t-shirts, emergency bracelets, dinner and party tickets, flight and hotel information, etc.

Wow, it’s really starting to hit me. In 17 short days, I’m going to run a 26.2 miles (in a row). I’m nervous, but so excited! We’ll be in Phoenix before I know it! :-D

_MG_6673 (640x426)_MG_6676 (640x426)

Thanks for everyone’s music suggestions on this morning’s post. Check out the marathon mix that I created tonight:

• Whataya Want from Me    3:47    Adam Lambert
    • Paper Gangsta    4:23    Lady GaGa
    • Brown Eyes    4:03    Lady GaGa
    • I Like It Rough    3:22    Lady GaGa
    • Summerboy    4:14    Lady GaGa
    • Disco Heaven    3:41    Lady GaGa
    • Bad Romance (Starsmith Remix)    4:56    Lady GaGa
    • Paper Planes    3:24    M.I.A.
    • Hung Up    5:38    Madonna
    • Man In the Mirror    5:19    Michael Jackson
    • P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)    3:46    Michael Jackson
    • All the Right Moves    3:58    OneRepublic
    • Raise Your Glass    3:23    P!nk
    • Disturbia    3:59    Rihanna
    • Only Girl (In the World)    3:55    Rihanna
    • Dynamite    3:24    Taio Cruz
    • You Belong With Me    3:51    Taylor Swift

My marathon mix includes 50 songs (heavy on the Gaga) and lasts 3.2 hours. I’ll hear songs more than once, but there’s enough variety that I won’t get sick of listening to them.

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner was a romaine salad with leftover quinoa, roasted brussels sprouts, baked tofu chunks, homemade croutons, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar.

_MG_6635 (640x426)

_MG_6643 (640x426)

On the side, I had a serving with parsnip chips.

_MG_6658 (640x426)_MG_6662 (640x426)

Dessert

I did it! :mrgreen: I went all day without any sweets, so I enjoyed two small bowls of Half Baked FroYo and a pint of coffee-chocolate porter. (The beer was my husband’s idea!) Both treats were totally worth the wait!

_MG_6682 (640x426)_MG_6685 (640x426)

I’m actually surprised how ‘easy’ it was to hold off those sugar cravings throughout the day. I definitely experienced them, but knowing that I could enjoy a special something at the end of the day was really all of the motivation that I needed. (Who knew?!) Tomorrow’s another day. Let’s hope that I can do it again!

Mal and I are running 10 miles with our team tomorrow morning. It’s the last run with the people training for the Disney Marathon & Half Marathon, which is NEXT weekend!!

Daisy December 30, 2010 at 10:07 pm

awesome playlist!!!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail December 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm

GOOD LUCK in AZ!! I want to run this one in 2012!

My sweet tooth grows massively throughout the day, so I have to have something sweet post-dinner!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm

That’s a lot of GAGA!

Mary Allison December 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Oh my goodness! What a treat! Thank you for the playlist!!!!!!!!

Roz December 30, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Heavy on the GaGa indeed!! Go Tina go, kick marathon A&%!!! Happy New Year to you, Mal and Murphy!!! Look forward to your posts and photos in then new year!!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I love that you have all this variety and then it turns into UBERGAGA! Priceless. You’re going to rock the run!!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) December 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm

i have 2 more songs for your list – Outkast’s “Hey Ya” and “Bombs Over Baghdad”

Jamie January 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I’m so happy to see someone else post B.O.B!! That’s my favorite running song!!

Wendy December 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Break a leg doesn’t seem appropriate so Go Get ‘Em seems a little more appropriate! You and Mal are an inspiration…I love reading your blog. LOVE Murphy pics…my family asks about Murphy often just as if he’s a member of our family. You really bring him to life with your pics and comments.

Laura December 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm

PYT is an excellent choice! Come to think of it, I need to add it to my running mix.

sweeter salt December 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm

love the massive quantities of gaga!

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 30, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Great mix! So excited you used Born to Run.

And good job with cravings today. I from experience know that cravings can be HARD. I just had chocolate cake for dessert but want crunchy peanut m&ms more than ANYTHING right now. I can’t find a vending machine in my hotel hahah…at least there is something to prevent me!

Mads December 30, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Oh man, workout playlists are fun to make! I could probably get lost in that for a few hours. When I’m running though, I get music ADD and can only listen to a song for a minute at a time.
    Best of luck with your mix!!
    oh…and the run!!!

The Healthy Hostess December 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’m so excited for you to do the race! Can’t believe it’s almost here!

Alejandra December 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Time has flown by!!! Have you tried any Latin music (like reggaeton, Daddy Yankee, Chino y Nacho,) for your playlist. They have an awesome beat!! Good luck on the marathon!

Jess December 30, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Playlist is awe-some! Love the fact that you included a Coldplay song on there. I have Lost! (a live version, the Jay Z version and the original – yes I am obsessed) and another one I enjoy is Fix You.. sometimes I just fast forward it to the part where it climaxes because that 60-90 seconds is awesome to run to!

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds December 30, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Wow… good luck with the run!!! Okay… I admit… you’ve inspired me… I am thinking of signing up for a half marathon next year… we’ll have to see how long this inspiration lasts :)

Alaina December 31, 2010 at 1:01 am

Woo! Love the Gaga :-)

Congrats on your first day of the experiment! Glad to hear you’re feeling positive about it. :-)

corey@ the runners cookie December 31, 2010 at 1:11 am

Love the playlist! Weird songs get me motivated, even slower stuff by people like john mayer and brendan james. Not sure why. But your lady gaga songs are sure to keep ya going! Think all positive thoughts and visualize crossing that finish line :)

Tami December 31, 2010 at 2:20 am

I live in Phoenix and did you know it SNOWED here today??? Just a little bit of flurry but a whole lot of fun! I’m sure it will warm up by your marathon. Any fan clubs forming?? I wouldn’t mind taking my kiddos up to cheer you and Mal on. That marathon is a fun event to attend too!

Whitney December 31, 2010 at 6:15 am

I love Gaga, but I have never listened to her running. Some of her songs would screw up my pace so bad (super fast then much slower!)

Love M.I.A. though!

Meryl December 31, 2010 at 6:36 am

I’ve been listening to a pandora station that has an almost identical playlist. Good luck with your race!!

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers December 31, 2010 at 8:05 am

Good luck in Phoenix! My brother is running PF Changs in Phx also. So I’ll be thinking of all three of you that day.
    I love the idea of holding off on a sweet treat until after dinner. That sounds like something I’d like to try. Hope I’m as successful as you.

Dori December 31, 2010 at 8:39 am

My sugar problem only happens when the food is around me, like lately at work, or at a party or event. That is when I can’t stop. But if it’s not there, I don’t buy it and therefore don’t overload. I really want to learn how to control myself when the cookies and chocolates and stuff are in front of me.

stacey-healthylife December 31, 2010 at 8:55 am

Good luck beating the sugar cravings. But once you do it’s much easier.

Cynthia December 31, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love Lady Gaga. I also have quite a few of her songs on my playlist.

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 31, 2010 at 9:03 am

The playlist sounds awesome! Good job controlling your sugar cravings, by the way. I know I heard that having a sweet breakfast causes you to crave more sugar throughout the day. In case you want to give that I try.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) December 31, 2010 at 9:07 am

Ahh!! You’re making me excited for the marathon, and I’m not even the one running it. You’ll be great! :D

Duchess of Fork December 31, 2010 at 9:08 am

Good luck, Tina!!!! You’re going to rock the marathon. Your playlist sounds amazing. Happy New Year! :)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory December 31, 2010 at 9:13 am

Love the new design of the blog!

Michele December 31, 2010 at 9:28 am

Good luck on the marathon! Loving the Gaga mix.

Ali December 31, 2010 at 9:43 am

I love your new layout!! I think it looks perfect. :) And love your playlist…I didn’t listen to music during my marathon, mostly because my sister and I chatted the whole time (obviously weren’t running for time). But there were definitely some instances where I needed a few pump up songs to keep me going. Can’t wait to read about your experience!!!

Susan December 31, 2010 at 9:51 am

One that I have on my list is “Dog Days are Over” by Florence + the Machine. Very appropriate, with the lyric…”Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father, run fast for your children and your sisters and brothers…”. I also love her song “Kiss with a Fist”, but just ’cause it’s an awesome song.

So excited for your marathon! My first half is 8 days away….AAAGGGHHH!

Candice @ OutdoorChirp December 31, 2010 at 9:55 am

Good Luck on the Marathon! That’s so amazing! Hopefully by the end of this year I’ll join the half marathoners but 26.2 miles is definitely a goal

Zoe December 31, 2010 at 10:33 am

Good luck on the marathon! The playlist looks awesome. One of the things that really helped me when I ran a marathon is holding out on listening to music. I would run without music for 1-2 hours and then turn it on when I really needed a motivation. It really worked. Being able to blare the pop and it be fresh at mile 18 (worst mile ever) was such a good motivator. Good luck!

Fi December 31, 2010 at 10:36 am

Happy New Year! i love quinoa plus salad :), i cook it in a little broth, gives it a lovely texture! u wish we had all those flavours of b and j here :( x

Fallon December 31, 2010 at 11:13 am

Congrats on making it to the end of the day to enjoy a sweet treat! It actually makes it more of a fun event to enjoy it at the end of the day too.

Jen December 31, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Good Luck on your marathon! I did my first one in 2009. You’ll do great!

Jennifer December 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Love you have Rihanna- Only Girl in the World- it’s awesome!

Andrea December 31, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Yay for AZ! You guys will be running by my house at one point! I will make sure to scream hello if I see you!

Katherine: Unemployed December 31, 2010 at 1:20 pm

so that is for sure my favorite dessert ever! great mix for the marathon; best wishes with it all!

Christine (The Raw Project) December 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Wow, you’ll totally rock the marathon and I can’t wait to hear about it! Gorgeous salad!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That’s so exciting!! Love the playlist, too. The ONE song that really gets me pumped while running is “Like a G6″ by The Far East Movement. It’s hip hop yeah..but it somehow makes me go faster and stronger, it never fails.

LOVE the new layout, too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 31, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Congrats on holding off on the sweets until after dinner! Ben & Jerry’s is the perfect reward. :D

Brenda December 31, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Love your marathon mix!

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? December 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I know it sounds super cheesy, but what about adding some disco to your mix? Like classic Donna Summer, the Bee Gees, or Andy Gibb or something like that? “On the Radio” was blaring in my ears as I pushed myself across the finish line of my first marathon back in the mid-90s. (I hadn’t trained AT ALL, so I credit my Walkman with getting me through it.)

Amy January 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I need to work on tackling my darned sweet tooth as well =( Why can’t they make fat free/calorie free sweets already?!

Mindy January 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

One key track you’re missing? John Mellencamp’s “Hurt So Good.” Really, there is no better song to run to! ;)

miami beach rentals January 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

And good luck! Sounds very exciting.