• How to Enjoy Being Snowed-In

December 26, 2010

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we’ve no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

There’s not much that I like about snow, but being snowed-in is actually a lot of fun. (Who knew!?!)

_MG_6257.JPG

To start, there’s a roaring fire in the fireplace.

_MG_6326.JPG

And plenty of red wine.

Mal and I are drinking a bottle of Garnacha de Fuego, which is absolutely perfect for a wintery night. Check out the description:

A bit of smokiness on the nose is balanced by berry aromas of blackberry and blueberry. Smooth flavors of spice, vanilla, and raspberry have a nice finish of subtle tannins that make this wine enjoyable by itself or with a variety of different meals from pizza to a perfectly cooked and seasoned steak.

So yum! :-D

_MG_6241.JPG _MG_6246.JPG

We also made a fantastic meal for dinner. And, of course, we’re sitting around in PJ’s and slippers! ;-)

Dinner

I’m in the final week of my Cookbook Challenge, so I flipped through The Bon Appetite Cookbook to find a warm, hearty, and comforting recipe for dinner tonight. It didn’t take my fingers very long to find the ‘Stews’ section of the cookbook, and Beef Bourguignon was an easy choice. Ever since I watched Julie & Julia (here’s my review), it’s been on my list of recipes to make. A snow storm was the perfect reason to do so!

_MG_6278.JPG

Earlier today, Mal and I reminisced about the French cooking class that we took back in June. We had such a blast cooking together, we decided to turn tonight’s meal into a similar affair.

_MG_6274.JPG

We turned on some tunes, poured ourselves each a glass of wine, and got down to business in the kitchen.

_MG_6275.JPG _MG_6287.JPG

Mal tended to the meat while I managed the veggies and ingredient prep.

_MG_6289.JPG _MG_6293.JPG _MG_6300.JPG

The Beef Bourguignon was very time-consuming (from beginning to end, it took about 2 hours), but totally worth it!

_MG_6304.JPG _MG_6308.JPG

_MG_6306.JPG

It turned out so well! I’m really proud of us! :mrgreen:

_MG_6355.JPG

The sauce was thick and rich; the meat was tender and flavorful. Delicious.

_MG_6342.JPG

It tasted especially amazing with a couple of pieces of whole wheat “rustic” bread and a glass of red wine.

_MG_6339.JPG

For dessert, I enjoyed two pieces of homemade chocolate-covered toffee. I really wanted a third piece, but I waited a few minutes and the urge passed. This is also a small victory for me.

Apparently, being snowed in also includes lots of video games.

_MG_6358.JPG

And napping.

_MG_6357.JPG

See ya in the morning!

Naomi December 26, 2010 at 10:07 pm

AH its crazy outside!!! and your night looked perfect! mine was MUCH of the same thing, but we watched toy story 2!!! Red wine—that was a great choice!!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Video Games rule. You just reminded me that I need to get in some Beatles Rock Band time!

Sabrina December 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Looks like a perfect day! I think I would trade some of my hurricane days for some snow days!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

There are few things better than hot stew on a cold winter’s day. I’m snowed in as well! Over 1 foot of snow! :-D

Christin@purplebirdblog December 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Looks like a perfect evening to me!! Hooray for cozy snowed in time!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life December 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Dinner looks great!
    I had the same small victory tonight when it came to the pretzel m&m’s sitting on my coffee table. I stuck with 10, totally wanted more, but told myself to wait. After 10 minutes, the urge surprisingly passed! :)

The Peanut Butter Addict December 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Your night looks fun. It’s always great to cook with other people, I find it makes it more enjoyable.

Lori Lynn December 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I was snowed in with my parent’s last Christmas for 5 days. I’m glad that you enjoyed it. It wasn’t too bad for me, at first anyway… LOL I guess it’s memorable! It looks like your food turned out good!

BIOCHEMISTA December 26, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I’ve been reading about the Boston storm. Good thing you have that cozy fire :) Stay warm!

PS…Are you running any races in Beantown this spring?? I usually run a few when I come back to visit

Tina December 26, 2010 at 10:47 pm

@BIOCHEMISTA: Nothing on the agenda yet, but I’m sure I will sign up for a couple!

amy at TheSceneFromMe December 26, 2010 at 10:47 pm

That doggie is adorable! I love snow days and wish I could have one soon too!
    The fire looks so cozy :)

Happy Holidays!

Hannah December 26, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Why, you’re almost like Julia Child! ;) A warming stew and snow – sounds wonderful!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) December 26, 2010 at 10:57 pm

since seeing julie and julia i’ve been wanting to make Beef Bourguignon. but seeing as my husband is vegetarian, i don’t think it’s going to happen. enjoy being snowed in!

Natalia@TheHealthScript December 26, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Every time I see Murphy sleeping I think back to the video of him snoring like a chainsaw and can’t help but laugh!
    Enjoy being snowed in :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm

i have always wanted to make beef bourgignon ever since i saw Julie and Julia too! it just looks ridiculously good…

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) December 26, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I love cooking with my husband. :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking December 27, 2010 at 12:29 am

beef bourguignon sounds delicious – a perfect meal for a cold, winter day!

Jess @atasteofconfidence December 27, 2010 at 12:41 am

stay safe!

jassy December 27, 2010 at 1:25 am

we don’t have snow here…it’s nice to stay inside watching movies and being with the one you love on a snowy day :)

Danielle December 27, 2010 at 1:32 am

What an evening! Glad you and your family had such a merry holiday. Hope you have some fun things planned for tomorrow’s snow day ;).

Laura (Starloz) December 27, 2010 at 2:14 am

being snowed in sounds interesting yet boring.

Fi December 27, 2010 at 4:45 am

that is a reallly time consuming dish, its the only thing my dad will dedicate more than an hour of his time to cook! i like it with rice. :) i hate the snow! it messes up everything, thank the lord its passing here now, weve been stuck for days! x

MelissaNibbles December 27, 2010 at 6:13 am

You see, when people ask me, “What do you want to do with your life? What is your passion?” I describe a day similar to this. They look at me like I’m a pathetic loser, but I think you get me Tina. Finally, someone understands ;)

Katherine: Unemployed December 27, 2010 at 6:41 am

I cannot imagine!!! We got like half an inch and everyone panics and no one will drive and I got cabin fever for being at home for 24 hours straight. I really do not know what would happen if my door ever got snowed shut! wow

Jen December 27, 2010 at 6:45 am

Looks like the perfect snow day :)

Jen

Lauren December 27, 2010 at 6:46 am

Happy to see that you and Mal are making the most of the snow storm. I love being snowed in but after 2 days, I start to go stir crazy.

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations December 27, 2010 at 6:56 am

Looks like you have this “dealing with being snowed in” thing down to a science!

Cara Craves... December 27, 2010 at 7:04 am

Very impressive dinner!
    It totally looks like it was worth the extra time.

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 27, 2010 at 7:22 am

what a fun night! looks delicious too:-) i had so much fun being snowed in with my husband last night, too!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

I always think of Julia Childs when I think of Beef Bourgignon. I’ve never even tried it, though!! Glad you had a cozy night in :)

Katie December 27, 2010 at 7:56 am

Now that is a great night!

I loved being snowed in last year, when we had a blizzard, it was nice to just be stuck home, it made us for once relax, and just enjoy the little things : )

Keri December 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

Yes, unfortunately for me, being snowed in included lots of videos games for us (him) too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

Your dinner looks like it was totally worth all the effort! I’ve never tried making Beef Bourguignon, but it’s on my cooking bucket list!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Wow, being snowed in really isn’t all that bad! :)

Lacey @ Lake Life December 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

I watched Julie & Julia twice yesterday alone (another benefit of being snowed in-lots of TV) and have been dying to try Beef Bourguignon since I first saw the movie a few months ago!

Lizzy December 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

Does Mal play XBox? Modern Warefare Black Ops? The worst if he des!

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? December 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Dinner looks lovely and you can’t beat anything with some really good bread, can you? I can’t imagine how Alouysius the Pug would deal with being snowed in because he gets upset enough when he has to deal with a week of rain here.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I love being snowed in! And no shame in ALWAYS being in pajamas while at home.

Ali December 28, 2010 at 8:35 am

What a nice day! Looks very cozy and how fun to cook with your hubby and Murphy! :)