• Final Fundraising Push

December 28, 2010

Exciting news on the fundraising front! OpenSky will donate $1 to Team In Training for everyone who follows Carrots ‘N’ Cake from now until our marathon day on January 16th!

OpenSky now features flash sales, which means my favorite items will be offered at 30-50% off!! You can only find out about these deals if you follow me and when you sign up, you’ll donate $1 to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Please consider signing up! Mal and I are so close to our goal of $8,000!

I finally ventured out into the snow this morning. Mal walked Murphy three times yesterday, so it was definitely my turn to take out the little fur ball.

It actually wasn’t that bad outside. It was cold, but sunny.

Ok, I admit that the snow is kind of pretty, but I still dislike it.

IMG_0009 (640x480)IMG_0016 (640x480)IMG_0017 (640x480)

Lunch

I had a really busy morning, so I never experienced any sort of sugar cravings. I guess I was too busy to notice. In fact, I didn’t even think about food until I felt (and heard) my stomach growing.

_MG_6459 (640x426)

Today’s lunch included a fried egg on a slice of whole wheat bread with buffalo sauce.

_MG_6440 (640x426)

Raw veggies.

_MG_6442 (640x426)

Greek yogurt mixed with homemade apple sauce and Kashi Nuggets.

(For the homemade apple sauce, I just cut up two small apples, threw them in a pot on the stovetop, covered the apples in equal parts of lemon juice and water, sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger, and boiled until the apple were soft. It was so easy!)

_MG_6446 (640x426)

And a bottle of GT Kombucha Synergy in Guava Goodness flavor, which is awesome! The flavor is authentic, refreshing, and subtly sweet. It’s also sort of frizzy, which surprised me. I like it!

_MG_6447 (640x426)

I’m skipping out on a sweet treat today with the hope that the Guava Goddess will do the trick. One day at a time!

_MG_6456 (426x640)

Mal and I are doing a little shopping this afternoon and then meeting my sister and her husband for dinner. I love Christmas break!

P.S. Check out my guest post about how to dress for winter runs on fANNEtastic Food!

Natalia@TheHealthScript December 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm

It looks beautiful in Boston:) We had a bit of snow on the ground in Michigan where I live but it didn’t snow on Christmas. What a bummer!

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds December 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hello. Travelling Tastebuds here again… I STILL love the snow and would love to trade places with you any day!!! :) Oh, and that guava drink looks delicious.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life December 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I’m rockin’ the raw veggies at lunch today too…need to start working them in a little more!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m following you now! :)

suki December 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I definitely prefer looking at snow rather than being in it. But since we don’t get much of it here at all, I still look forward to the day that I can build a legitimate snow person. :P

sweeter salt December 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Snow is pretty, but it sucks when high speed icy winds are blowing it in your fact. Ugh!

Laura

Kacy December 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I hate snow so much, I’m so thankful we haven’t gotten any yet. Love your boots though!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Sounds like you have a fun afternoon planned! Enjoy your sister tonight!

Leah @ Why Deprive? December 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I will definitely follow you! :)

Snow and I have a love/hate relationship. I think its beautiful, and I love how everything gets quiet when it snows. But I get so stressed thinking about driving in it. Its not fun!

Lacey @ Lake Life December 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the easy applesauce idea!

Jess @atasteofconfidence December 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love cooked apples like that:)

Amanda (Eating Up) December 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I find that the days I don’t have much to do, I definitely think I’m hungrier. I think it’s because I spend more time thinking about it!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

enjoy that ‘booch!
    i find that my homemade kombucha DOES take the edge off sugar cravings sometimes…hey whatever works, right :)

stay warm!!!

grocery goddess jen December 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

We just went out and ran errands in the snow, but we’ve had an extra day to melt everything. It’s still kind of cold, but sunny. I DO NOT like driving in or near the snow. I just want it to snow, melt, and be over with. Or not snow at all!

Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I hate the snow but it always looks really pretty! I haven’t tried the Guava flavor but maybe I will have to. I am not usually a fan of the way Kombucha tastes!

Jen December 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Love the snow pictures!
    I never thought of making my own applesauce, it sounds easy enough!

Jen

Christin@purplebirdblog December 28, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I love Guava Goddess! Delightfully tasty!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) December 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My hubby got me the stainless steel straws for my stocking. I can’t wait to try them out!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite December 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for the tip on the applesauce! I just made whole wheat banana bread to use up my {very} overripe bananas, and realized that I have a couple of apples about to kick the bucket. Hooray for not being wasteful!

Fi December 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I agree, snow is pretty but I still hate it! X

Angela December 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm

WOW that is a ton of snow!!! I had a ton of raw veg for lunch today too – after a weekend away from home (and my own kitchen and own food) it felt great to pump in the veggies! :)

Jennifer December 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I HATE SNOW AS WELL!!! UGH!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I have to say, the snow looks absolutely beautiful! I haven’t seen much in DC this year so it was really nice to go home to Cleveland and enjoy it for a few days. It’s fun when it’s an occassional thing :).

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm

My former classmate used to drink Synergy every class and I always wanted to try it. That one looks good, so I might have to pick one up!

Eileen December 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I love your blog- I know this isn’t health related but where did you get those brown boots in your picture?

Chanity December 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Where did u find the kombucha juice? They took it off the shelves fir a while bc the alcohol content was too high the FDA said, because of the fermented raw berries. This stuff is amazing. Please email me if u can. Misschanity@gmail.com

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) December 28, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Snow is beautiful, especially once it’s plowed and shoveled. :D

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm

WHOA! I didn’t realize your marathon day was so close! I know you’re ready for it though. :-)

amy at TheSceneFromMe December 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

THe yogurt with homemade applesauce looks so appetizing!
    And the snowy pictures are beautiful :)

Paige @Running Around Normal December 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm

The snow looks beautiful! But I am completely sick of it. I feel like the same dirty snow has been here in Illinois since the beginning of December!

Hannah December 28, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Off to follow you now! And then hopefully make those yummy softened apples :)

Marie @ peoniesncupcakes.wordpress.com December 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Just signed up!

Sarah for Real December 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Mmmm I love Synergy. Grape is my favorite but I haven’t tried the mango. It’s the fermentation that gives it the fizzies.

I hope it helps you get your sugar cravings under control!

Pam (Holistic Health Coach) December 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Yum! Looks like a balanced and delicious lunch.
    Oh that snow looks so cold! I try to avoid the snow every year, but my husband insists on leaving Florida once a year for a snowboarding excursion.

betty@runbetty.com December 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Ooh – I really like the new layout! It looks great :)

Erica D @ Gratitouille December 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm

It looks like Boston got a lot more snow than Connecticut did! I’m with you on the snow, even when it’s sunny; after I finish college in Colorado, I’m moving south. Hehe!

And once I get back to Colorado, I’ll give kombucha another try. I love winter break, but I can’t wait to return to the land of mountains and granola!

JessicaEn December 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Tina I love the new layout <3

Michelle December 29, 2010 at 12:21 am

I love the new layout, Tina! So awesome looking, just like your book :) Congrats!

Alaina December 29, 2010 at 12:40 am

The snow was beautiful in the city, but definitely was not a huge fan of the awful winds yesterday. Today was definitely nicer :-)

EmmaClaire December 29, 2010 at 12:42 am

LOVE the new layout!!

Veggie December 29, 2010 at 4:31 am

What can be wrong with fresh vegetables?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

I think the snow is so pretty, but I hate going out in it. It’s too cold! Don’t even get me started on driving in it!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I love your idea to make homemade applesauce! It’s the perfect warm snack for winter. :)

Kristin December 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm

The new layout is beautiful and that is a great picture of you! I love the idea of homemade applesauce – I bet it’s so much more delicious than the store bought jars. I’m sick of this snow already too- haha we’ve got a ways to go! :o)