• Eighteen On My Own

December 4, 2010

I guess my preparations paid off because I did it. I ran 18 miles. I’m so proud of myself! :mrgreen:Β I can only imagine what finishing 26 miles will feel like.

I started the morning with my typical long run breakfast: peanut butter and banana on a toasted English muffin with a small glass of iced coffee. It hasn’t let me down yet!

IMG_0009

After breakfast, Mal and I drove to Southie, but we were late meeting our team at the South Boston Running Emporium, so our coach explained the route and we headed right out to git β€˜er done.

The group started down D Street, past South Station, and into Downtown Crossing, which was decorated for the holidays. Obviously, I had to stop and snap a photo! πŸ˜‰

IMG_0458

The next few miles took us around Boston Common and down Beacon Street to the Charles River.

IMG_0461

Running around this part of Boston never gets old for me. It’s so pretty!

IMG_0459IMG_0464

I ended up getting separated from my teammates, so I trucked along the river for the next 5 or 6 miles by myself.

IMG_0466

I rocked out to the Lady Gaga station on Pandora on my iPhone. It’s the best running music. I listen to it on every run.

IMG_0469

Eventually, I ended up in Brighton. Yep, Brighton.

If you live in Boston, you know just how far I ran, which ended up being in the wrong direction. I was supposed to head down to the Museum of Science bridge and loop back to the Mass Ave bridge, but I got lost. I have no idea how, but I did. It’s amazing how easy it is for me to get lost. My husband claims thatΒ I “can’t find my way out of a paperbag.”

IMG_0472IMG_0473

At one point, I crossed over to the Memorial side of the Charles and ran until I found the Mass Ave bridge.

IMG_0474

I actually ended up getting so lost, I missed all of the Team In Training water stops, so around Mile 14 at Boston Common, I crashed a road race and grabbed a bottle of water. I was parched!

From there, I ran back through Downtown Crossing, past South Station, up to L Street, down East Broadway and West Broadway to A Street, and back to the store, which ended up being just over 18 miles.

IMG_0480

I totally did my own thing on today’s run, but I ran 18 miles and that’s all that matters!

• Mile 1: 9:17
    • Mile 17: 9:59
    • Mile 18: 9:45

Total: 2:54:58

IMG_0013

Success!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0015

Once we stretched, Mal and I headed to P.S. Gourmet for iced coffees. (This is also part of our long run ritual !;-) )

IMG_0018

I ordered a Toasted Almond iced coffee with milk and sugar. My goodness, it was delicious! One of the best (if not the best) flavors that I’ve tried from P.S. Gourmet.

At home, I made a couple of eggs, which I ate with a few pieces of French bread. (We’re having fondue tonight, so I broke into the loaf a little early.)

IMG_0020IMG_0021

After getting some food in my belly and taking a shower, I helped Mal clean the house from top to bottom.

IMG_0030

We’re having a friends over for dinner and drinks, so we wanted to make sure the place looked really nice.

IMG_0028

I’m hungry again and there’s no way I can wait until dinner to eat, so I think another peanut butter and banana sandwich is in my future!

Hope you’re having a lovely Saturday!

D December 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm

congrats on the run – im doing my first 20 miler tomorrow and im nervous as hell! can’t wait though!

i have a question about your marathon training – do you feel like you lost/gained anything different by doing your training with TNT? do you think you would have had a different experience so far by training on your own?

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Wow 18 miles is looonnnnggg! I bet that marathon isn’t looking nearly impossible anymore. πŸ˜‰

Sana December 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

So my ex would “trick” me into doing a long run- I would go w/o a Garmin and he would give me a post-it of all the directions. I was so busy getting around that I would not even realize how tired I was.Sometimes getting lost is a good way to get a long run in!

Mads December 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Wow! It’s amazing how much you can see in 18 miles by foot.
    Congrats πŸ™‚

I just bought and received your garlic gold gift box. It’s amazing! I can’t wait to give it to my dad for Christmas

Kate December 5, 2010 at 12:02 am

Yayyy, you ran EIGHTEEN miles! I hope to have the same success tomorrow when I set out to run 18, myself. The longest I’ve gone is 17.25, months ago, pre-injury. I’m nervous but this post came just in time.

Congrats on 18 longs miles.

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise December 5, 2010 at 12:32 am

Wow! You rock! Soooo impressed:) Time for me to get off my ass hahahaaaa. Aloha!!

Nikki December 5, 2010 at 12:44 am

Wow, congrats! I’m glad that your knee didn’t bother you during your run. You kept up such a great pace, too. I hope that you had a nice night with your friends!

Hannah December 5, 2010 at 2:17 am

That flavoured iced coffee sounds amazing. Completely. And now I”m cranky at being in Australia again…

CaSaundra December 5, 2010 at 8:38 am

Two thumbs up Tina–I knew you could do it! And don’t feel bad, I would have gotten lost too πŸ˜‰

Susan December 5, 2010 at 9:18 am

18 miles is awesome! And I know about getting lost – I’ve gotten lost at least 4 times while doing different training runs. Including getting lost 1/2 a mile from where I work!

Thetreadmilldiaries December 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

Phenomenal job running 18 miles on your own. That’s fantastic. And even better – you had some really strong, consistent splits. Way to go.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

Nice job on the run! That is such a long distance! I like that even though you got lost, you just kept going!

Carol December 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

Way to go on your run!!! So happy for you:)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Wow! What a great run and it looks like you had a pretty view! πŸ™‚

Lee December 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

Great job on the run! My husband is like you – he can’t find his way out of a paper bag either!

Amber K December 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Congrats on the run! I would totally get lost too.

hemp jogger December 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

awesome job tina! doesnt matter how you did it, you DID IT πŸ™‚

i always, always get lost on my runs, too. terrible sense of direction here… oh well. at least i’m running, even if its in circles.

maria December 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm

good job! The furthest I’ve done is 13.1. I’d like to do a marathon some day

kristen December 5, 2010 at 9:30 pm

awesome job on your run! You are really going to kick some booty for your full marathon!

Lindsay December 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Congrats!! And I love the black and whites!

Lauren @ Running Examiner December 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

Congratulations, Tina! 18 miles is definitely a milestone. (As is 26, of course!) I remember being so excited the first time I ran 18 miles.

I love seeing on blogs the standard “pre-long run” breakfasts different runners eat. My pre-long run breakfast is two pieces of French toast, made with whole wheat bread and plenty of cinnamon. I think the combination of carbs/fat/protein really fuels me. The only problem is that, come the end of my training, I am puking sick of French toast.

Brittney December 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Great job on 18! Love that you got water at that race πŸ™‚
    I did my 19 miler as planned and that run really kicked my butt! I’m impressed that you had the energy to entertain that night, I hadto park on the couch and order take-out! haha! I’m hoping the rest of training goes well for you and we both have success in January!