• Eighteen On My Own

December 4, 2010

I guess my preparations paid off because I did it. I ran 18 miles. I’m so proud of myself! :mrgreen: I can only imagine what finishing 26 miles will feel like.

I started the morning with my typical long run breakfast: peanut butter and banana on a toasted English muffin with a small glass of iced coffee. It hasn’t let me down yet!

IMG_0009

After breakfast, Mal and I drove to Southie, but we were late meeting our team at the South Boston Running Emporium, so our coach explained the route and we headed right out to git ‘er done.

The group started down D Street, past South Station, and into Downtown Crossing, which was decorated for the holidays. Obviously, I had to stop and snap a photo! ;-)

IMG_0458

The next few miles took us around Boston Common and down Beacon Street to the Charles River.

IMG_0461

Running around this part of Boston never gets old for me. It’s so pretty!

IMG_0459IMG_0464

I ended up getting separated from my teammates, so I trucked along the river for the next 5 or 6 miles by myself.

IMG_0466

I rocked out to the Lady Gaga station on Pandora on my iPhone. It’s the best running music. I listen to it on every run.

IMG_0469

Eventually, I ended up in Brighton. Yep, Brighton.

If you live in Boston, you know just how far I ran, which ended up being in the wrong direction. I was supposed to head down to the Museum of Science bridge and loop back to the Mass Ave bridge, but I got lost. I have no idea how, but I did. It’s amazing how easy it is for me to get lost. My husband claims that I “can’t find my way out of a paperbag.”

IMG_0472IMG_0473

At one point, I crossed over to the Memorial side of the Charles and ran until I found the Mass Ave bridge.

IMG_0474

I actually ended up getting so lost, I missed all of the Team In Training water stops, so around Mile 14 at Boston Common, I crashed a road race and grabbed a bottle of water. I was parched!

From there, I ran back through Downtown Crossing, past South Station, up to L Street, down East Broadway and West Broadway to A Street, and back to the store, which ended up being just over 18 miles.

IMG_0480

I totally did my own thing on today’s run, but I ran 18 miles and that’s all that matters!

• Mile 1: 9:17
    • Mile 17: 9:59
    • Mile 18: 9:45

Total: 2:54:58

IMG_0013

Success!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0015

Once we stretched, Mal and I headed to P.S. Gourmet for iced coffees. (This is also part of our long run ritual !;-) )

IMG_0018

I ordered a Toasted Almond iced coffee with milk and sugar. My goodness, it was delicious! One of the best (if not the best) flavors that I’ve tried from P.S. Gourmet.

At home, I made a couple of eggs, which I ate with a few pieces of French bread. (We’re having fondue tonight, so I broke into the loaf a little early.)

IMG_0020IMG_0021

After getting some food in my belly and taking a shower, I helped Mal clean the house from top to bottom.

IMG_0030

We’re having a friends over for dinner and drinks, so we wanted to make sure the place looked really nice.

IMG_0028

I’m hungry again and there’s no way I can wait until dinner to eat, so I think another peanut butter and banana sandwich is in my future!

Hope you’re having a lovely Saturday!

D December 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm

congrats on the run – im doing my first 20 miler tomorrow and im nervous as hell! can’t wait though!

i have a question about your marathon training – do you feel like you lost/gained anything different by doing your training with TNT? do you think you would have had a different experience so far by training on your own?

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Wow 18 miles is looonnnnggg! I bet that marathon isn’t looking nearly impossible anymore. ;-)

Sana December 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

So my ex would “trick” me into doing a long run- I would go w/o a Garmin and he would give me a post-it of all the directions. I was so busy getting around that I would not even realize how tired I was.Sometimes getting lost is a good way to get a long run in!

Mads December 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Wow! It’s amazing how much you can see in 18 miles by foot.
    Congrats :)

I just bought and received your garlic gold gift box. It’s amazing! I can’t wait to give it to my dad for Christmas

Kate December 5, 2010 at 12:02 am

Yayyy, you ran EIGHTEEN miles! I hope to have the same success tomorrow when I set out to run 18, myself. The longest I’ve gone is 17.25, months ago, pre-injury. I’m nervous but this post came just in time.

Congrats on 18 longs miles.

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise December 5, 2010 at 12:32 am

Wow! You rock! Soooo impressed:) Time for me to get off my ass hahahaaaa. Aloha!!

Nikki December 5, 2010 at 12:44 am

Wow, congrats! I’m glad that your knee didn’t bother you during your run. You kept up such a great pace, too. I hope that you had a nice night with your friends!

Hannah December 5, 2010 at 2:17 am

That flavoured iced coffee sounds amazing. Completely. And now I”m cranky at being in Australia again…

CaSaundra December 5, 2010 at 8:38 am

Two thumbs up Tina–I knew you could do it! And don’t feel bad, I would have gotten lost too ;-)

Susan December 5, 2010 at 9:18 am

18 miles is awesome! And I know about getting lost – I’ve gotten lost at least 4 times while doing different training runs. Including getting lost 1/2 a mile from where I work!

Thetreadmilldiaries December 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

Phenomenal job running 18 miles on your own. That’s fantastic. And even better – you had some really strong, consistent splits. Way to go.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

Nice job on the run! That is such a long distance! I like that even though you got lost, you just kept going!

Carol December 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

Way to go on your run!!! So happy for you:)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Wow! What a great run and it looks like you had a pretty view! :)

Lee December 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

Great job on the run! My husband is like you – he can’t find his way out of a paper bag either!

Amber K December 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Congrats on the run! I would totally get lost too.

hemp jogger December 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

awesome job tina! doesnt matter how you did it, you DID IT :)

i always, always get lost on my runs, too. terrible sense of direction here… oh well. at least i’m running, even if its in circles.

maria December 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm

good job! The furthest I’ve done is 13.1. I’d like to do a marathon some day

kristen December 5, 2010 at 9:30 pm

awesome job on your run! You are really going to kick some booty for your full marathon!

Lindsay December 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Congrats!! And I love the black and whites!

Lauren @ Running Examiner December 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

Congratulations, Tina! 18 miles is definitely a milestone. (As is 26, of course!) I remember being so excited the first time I ran 18 miles.

I love seeing on blogs the standard “pre-long run” breakfasts different runners eat. My pre-long run breakfast is two pieces of French toast, made with whole wheat bread and plenty of cinnamon. I think the combination of carbs/fat/protein really fuels me. The only problem is that, come the end of my training, I am puking sick of French toast.

Brittney December 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Great job on 18! Love that you got water at that race :)
    I did my 19 miler as planned and that run really kicked my butt! I’m impressed that you had the energy to entertain that night, I hadto park on the couch and order take-out! haha! I’m hoping the rest of training goes well for you and we both have success in January!