• Confessions of a Sugarholic

December 23, 2010

I eat too much sugar. In fact, there are some days that I eat more dessert than “real” food. (Hence, not posting all of my meals and the likely culprit for my recent weight gain.)

Of course, I don’t think there is anything wrong with enjoying a little sugar every now and then—this blog is called Carrots ‘N’ Cake after all—but I’ve been really overdoing it lately.

_MG_1593

At first, I really enjoyed these sugary indulges. I love eating dessert, so why not enjoy them to the fullest, especially during the holidays? I knew that I wasn’t eating many nutritious foods, but it didn’t bother me…  until my body started to feel the effects:

• My appetite is all over the place.
    • My cravings are out-of-control.
    • I feel like I’m never fully satisfied.
    • I had four cavities at my last visit to the doctor.
    • I experience mood swings.
    • My energy and motivation are low.
    • I feel lethargic and useless.
    • Eating sweets sometimes doesn’t satisfy my sugar cravings

The final straw was when my skin started to break out like crazy. When that happens, I know that I’m not treating my body well. Clearly, something needed to change.

IMG_1772

In the past 6 months or so, it’s safe to say that my eating habits have definitely changed, but not for the better! I used to eat healthy, nutritious foods 80% of the time, but, nowadays, it’s more like 50% of the time. It seems that I’ve gotten a little lazy with my health.

If you don’t like something about yourself, change it.

MG_9714

Initially, I thought a sugar cleanse was the way to go, but who am I kidding? Give up sugar? I would fail miserably and, really, I just don’t want to do it. I live for dessert!!! I just need to eat less of it and more of the nutritious, wholesome stuff.

I realize that trying to cut back on sugar right before Christmas isn’t the most ideal time to do so, but I’ve made up my mind and want to get started. (Really, what’s the point of waiting until January 1st?) However, I’m not going to go crazy and ban all sugar from diet. I want to enjoy Christmas with my family, but I will keep it in mind.

Writing this post really helped me identify what’s going on and how I want to change my eating habits. I guess I needed to give myself a little reality check. I know that I’m still healthy, but I could definitely do better. In the end, I’m the only one accountable for my health.

I know that a bunch of people said they want to do a sugar cleanse with me. I’m not going to do a “traditional” sugar cleanse, but I’m going to work toward reducing my sugar intake. (I have lots of post ideas!) Yesterday, I started a little journal (just on a piece of paper that I keep on my desk) to help me determine when and why I crave sweets. Whenever a craving hits me, I record what time it happens, where I am, how I feel, what I am craving, and whether or not I give into the craving. If you want to start this challenge on Monday, I recommend doing the same thing. I think these notes will help give us some insight into our sugar cravings.

More to come! I’m just getting started! :-D

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) December 24, 2010 at 1:21 am

Merry Christmas Tina, Mal & Murphy!

Jen December 24, 2010 at 6:18 am

I have been on over indulgent spiral for the past couple of weeks and I need to get off this spin cycle…now! I’m at the point now that if I don’t see another cookie, candy or any type of sweets, I’ll be happy. I honestly just don’t even want the junk anymore. That’s a good thing, I think.

Jen

Kelly December 24, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sometimes it makes me feel better to know that other people struggle and I comend you for owning up to it and publically sharing it with us. I also think your plan is spot on. If you try to cut sugar completely out of your diet all it is going to do is set you up for failure. Just mindfully trying to cut back is the way to go. I am a nutritionist and I tell all my clients that the road to healthy living isn’t a sprint but more like a marathon. So just remember that you weren’t able to run 20 miles over night. It took training. You don’t need to change all your habits overnight. Just slowly and steady. Making small manageable changes over time is what makes goals stick and last. Too much change too fast only leads to becoming overwhemled and failure. Good job Tina! :)

MaryB December 24, 2010 at 8:28 am

To be honest, when I read that you were planning to do a cleanse, I decided then and there to delete you from my reader. Doing any kind of a cleanse is the opposite of healthy living, in my opinion. Please consider the fact that you are training for a marathon and just ran 20 miles! Maybe your body needs those extra calories! I’m sure after the Holidays (when goodies aren’t as readily available) you’ll go back to eating more fruit etc.
    I’m glad you changed your mind on the cleanse, and I’m glad I changed mine on deleting you!

am December 24, 2010 at 9:18 am

I know how you feel, Tina! It doesn’t seem like you’re just overeating on sweets left and right, but I have noticed that you’ve been baking quite a bit the past few months. I actually think that’s a good tip — instead of having processed crap like Oreos and Chips Ahoy lying around, go forth and MAKE a treat when you want it. Maybe if you limit your baking to one time per week so that the treats are not tempting you would be a good technique?

stacey-healthylife December 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

Good for you for being open, honest, and vulnerable.

Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) December 24, 2010 at 9:43 am

That is great, I have been thinking about doing that too–I just FEEL bad. I’ve gained weight, but I care more about how I FEEL–not as healthy! And artificial sugars, too. I don’t know why I still put that crap in my body. Enjoy the holidays though! Good luck! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 24, 2010 at 10:25 am

I was having a similar problem with the cravings. November I did a 21 day cleanse called the Standard Process Cleanse. It was the greatest thing I’ve ever done. 10 days fruits and veggies only (mostly raw) + SP’s special protein powder in shakes + 1 C wild rice or lentils. The last 11 days you can add 1 svg/day of deep sea fish and chicken.

My sugar addiction is broken, and it forced me to be very creative in the kitchen. I’m newly addicted to spaghetti squash. I lost about 15 lbs. All around win. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 24, 2010 at 10:46 am

I think I have been on a sugar spree since Halloween! Sometime last week I realized that I am feeling the effects of it, so I’m trying to cut back (drastically!). I agree, I’d never give it up completely, so there’s no point in torturing myself; Just need to tip the balance in healthy’s favor. :) I just don’t want that much sweet stuff anymore. The hundreds of Christmas cookies we made has turned me off to it for awhile (probably 10 minutes).

Merry Christmas!!

Hannah December 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I wonder how many of you women actually need to worry about your weight right now? Sheesh, there are more important things in the world to be concerned about than eating too many sweets. A little perspective, no?

Lauren December 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

This post was totally what I needed to get my head back in the game. I’m going to work on eliminating as much sugar as I can, because I do find that my cravings diminish right when I do this. I’m also think that this is at least slightly particularly to this time of year, and we’ll all start feeling better in a few weeks or so. :) Merry Christmas Eve!

Paula Cook December 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Have you ever tried baking with brown rice syrup? This is a sweetener that is made from rice and is a complex carb — it will not mess with your blood chemistry the way refined and simple sugars can. It kind of tastes a bit like butterscotch and can be used in baking. I love it. I can have some sweets every now and then and not feel sick afterward. The problem is finding enough recipes that call for it. Check out Christina Pirello’s website at Christina Cooks.com. I think you’ll like it.

MelanieF December 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm

This post couldn’t come at a better time! I was actually telling myself that I eat way to much sweets. I eat it everyday and I feel sluggish, cranky, useless and not healthy at all. I know it’s time for a change, and only I can do the change. I’m glad I’m not the only sugar addict in the world :-)

JiWon December 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I’ve never trained for a marathon before but I assume it sucks a hella lot of energy from you! So it’s obvious that you will crave carbs~ I feel like most people reach out for white, processed carbs because they are SO easily accessible. The first thing I wanna do after I run 10 miles is eat (maybe shower…then eat?).
    I’ve started (on day 3) a 21 daniel fast for spiritual reasons. It’s pretty strict…no white carbs what so ever, no meat, no dairy, no caffeine, nothing with added sugar. I can eat anything plant based..with roots. Crazy? Yeah…but I LOVE IT. And you know what? I’m baking cookies and making peanut brittle as I fast. No temptation to taste even the slightest.
    Anyway, I am praying that this fast will help me deal with my unhealthy eating habits, my mental and body image, and other factors in my life.

Kelly @ Kelly Be Well December 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m a little behind on my blogs, but I am RIGHT there with you – throw in a dash of S.A.D. and I am pretty useless and my workouts suck. Gotta cut back on the sugar!!!

Kate@andwhenshesays December 26, 2010 at 12:55 am

So on board with this! Especially now that it is Christmas night and I don’t have the “holiday” excuse anymore. ;) My sweet tooth has been out of control, and I know it’s because the more sugar I eat the more I crave it. I certainly don’t want to cut out sweets completely, but it’s time to reign it in a bit and it’s comforting to know I’m not alone in the mission!

Sarah December 27, 2010 at 3:05 am

I am really with you on this, some days i find it hard to find a cut-off point at meals, and i reckon one of the main culprits is the amount of sugar i have had that day. You’ve really reminded me (especially needed over christmas!) to keep it in mind from now on. Besides, if i use all my calories for sugar and nutrition devoid food then there’s no room for the gorgeous nutritionally dense foods (ahem.. peanut butter anyone?) thakyou for the great post, and good luck!

alexis January 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

I came across your blog from another blog and found your desire to cut sugar quite interesting (and attainable). I have recently been on a quest to eliminate most (hopefully all) refined sugars from my diet, as I have also been recently diagnosed with cancer. It is not easy to cut it out, but it’s also not that hard. I still eat foods w/naturally occurring sugars (i.e fruit), but just try to eliminate the “white stuff.” The hardest part for me was the holidays :) But I find that if I don’t keep the junk in the house, then I won’t crave it or have the opportunity to reach for it. Good luck with your goal – it’s really not that bad!

Lucy August 2, 2012 at 2:34 am

Wow, I know this is an old post, but it was fresh to me, like looking in a mirror. It’s been a bad few months for food and I need to take control again. Thanks