• Candy Cane Forest

December 24, 2010

I thought this morning’s run would never, ever end! I felt like I “passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.”

Seriously, it was so tough. I struggled through the entire thing. I thought running 15 miles would seem like cake compared to running 20 miles, but it was still really hard. Holy cow. Plus, running out in the country through long stretches of forest was a little boring and even sort of creepy at times. I’m so glad to cross this run off of my list!

Before I headed out to run, I ate my usual breakfast of peanut butter + banana. I didn’t snap a photo, so here’s a little reenactment:

After breakfast, Mal and I mapped out the 15-mile run using Gmaps Pedometer. I wrote the route on an index card just to make sure that I wouldn’t get lost. It tends to happen sometimes! 😉

Mal and I must have underestimated our run a little bit because my Garmin only said 14.67 when I arrived back home. I thought about running until I hit 15 miles, but I was truly exhausted. I just didn’t have it in me.

• Mile 1: 9:10
    • Mile 11: 9:34
    • Mile 12: 9:39
    • Mile 13: 9:32
    • Mile 14: 9:34
    • Mile 15 (0.67): 6:15

Total: 2:17:08

The pug was so excited to see me when I returned from my run. His happy pug face immediately cheered me up! 😀

I received lots of kisses!

Even one right in the eye!

By the time I got home, Mal had already stretched and showered. Who is he!?!

While I showered and dressed, Mal made us lunch, which was ham and Swiss sandwiches with mustard on whole wheat bread.

A little while later, I ate a container of Chobani with some Kashi mixed in.

Then, I drank a glass of apple cider. Now, I think I am satisfied!

My family’s Christmas Eve party is in about an hour. I still need to bake brownies!

Merry Christmas Eve!!!

Erica December 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Congrats on 15 miles!!
    Merry Christmas Eve to you as well. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My dogs are fond of eye kisses too! :)

Lauren December 24, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Hah, I loved the opening to this post. Elf is my favorite! Good job on your 15 miles

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Congrats on the run!! 13.1 is as far as I’ve gone, and that’s a toughie for me, so major props on the extra miles. Have a great time tonight!

Val @ Balancing Val December 24, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I see you have Taboo back there . . . That is the BEST game ever! What do you think?

Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Sorry you had a tough run..but at least you didn’t throw in the towel and you pushed through! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm

You’re still baking?! Wow, that’s dedication! Even the diehard bakers usually cut off their baking by the 23rd. lol

Have fun at the party. And I hope you have a relaxing nite..after the brownies are done and made :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Even though you have TNT and Mal, major props to you for doing all these long runs solo! That’s very admirable :)

meemsnyc December 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Merry Christmas!

Heather December 24, 2010 at 5:48 pm

LOL, the Elf reference made me laugh! Merry Christmas:-)

Lorin December 24, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Great job on the run. Both of you are fast, I am so competetive that I would be frustrated not being able to keep up with someone, which is why I like running alone. However, I do think it helps me push myself a bit more and sometimes you can talk to the person on a run. Anyways, Merry Christmas!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 24, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) December 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Merry Christmas Eve!

Hannah December 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Actually, Merry Christmas! We live in the future here in Australia, so it’s already Christmas! 😉

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) December 24, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Congrats on powering through a tough run! These tough training runs will only make you stronger come race day!

Lacey @ Lake Life December 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Love the reenactment and LOL @ Murphy’s eye kiss!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Congratulations on the 15 miles! I had a rough 6 miler a few weeks ago that I thought was going to be a cakewalk, but ended up being one of the most (mentally) exhausting runs of my training. Good job for pushing through it! :)

Enjoy the festivities and have a very Merry Christmas! :)

sassy molassy December 24, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I don’t know about you, but I always feel more accomplished about getting in a long/tough run in on a holiday. Makes me feel more hardcore. Nice work and Merry Christmas!

Sarah@naturaldiabetic December 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Maranatha peanut butter is my favorite!!!! Merry Christmas.

Maryann December 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm

wow awesome job on the run! 15 miles is a lot :)

steph December 24, 2010 at 11:25 pm

you kept up a great pace for being by yourself on a new course and recovering from an injury! enjoy your taper and have a great christmas!!!!!!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking December 25, 2010 at 12:28 am

i can’t imagine running even 10 miles – 15 miles is really impressive! i usually run on the treadmill, but today i went for a run outside and 4 miles literally FLEW by. i think i will run outside more often!

notyet100 December 25, 2010 at 12:37 am

wish u merry christmas

Nicole December 25, 2010 at 5:48 am

How is Mal’s training going? I know at first he was planning on blogging his progress with you…what mile time is he averaging?

Sarah @ EatRunGarden December 25, 2010 at 8:45 am

Gmaps pedometer is a great tool but I always feel like what it says and what my garmin says never match up completely. I tend to believe my garmin more though.
    :) Merry Christmas!

Kelly December 25, 2010 at 8:53 am

I think sometimes shorter (ha, shorter + 15 miles should never be together) because you don’t get yourself psyched up in the same way. Anyway, at least you must be glad to have that over with! Merry Christmas!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 25, 2010 at 10:12 am

there’s some good food in this post! yum yum. merry christmas!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

Merry Christmas and Congrats on another great run! Gmaps is always “off” a little. For the longest time I thought my go-to route was 3.1 miles, it turns out it was only 2.8!

Meghan@travelwinedine December 25, 2010 at 10:29 am

Merry Christmas! Good for you for making it out on the run. I slept in :)

Paige @Running Around Normal December 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Wow!! Great job Tina!! :) Way to bust through that 15 miler.

Alaina December 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Merry Christmas Tina! Great job on the 15-miles :-)

Garmin Question: is the pace time, your 5k time?

Amy December 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Tina, here is a video you will love. It’s about Pug Sunday in San Francisco!!! The crazy blonde guy is my brother’s friend and he does a series of videos on San Francisco secrets. Merry Christmas!

Brittany December 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Merry Christmas Tina. I hope you are having a lovely day!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 25, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Great job! Can’t believe you’re going to run a marathon- after running a half last month I am burnt out with running :-(

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Congrats on making it through that run! You’re such a champ for keeping up with your training, even on Christmas Eve!

Tina December 26, 2010 at 8:44 am

@Alaina: No, my 5K pace is a lot faster.

Miho December 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Merry Christmas! Good job surviving the run! 😀
    I have to ask, what does it say on Mal’s tee?