• Tough Twelve

November 27, 2010

This morning’s 12-mile run started out like usual: Mal and I woke up bright and early, I took the pug for a walk, and he made us peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

IMG_0002.JPG

And iced coffees with soy milk.

IMG_0004.JPG

Our team run was canceled due to the holiday, so Mal and I planned our own 12-mile route around town.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

The run started like any other Saturday long run. Mal and I ran together for the first two miles and then he took off at his super fast pace.

IMG_0451.JPG

I trucked along by myself at a pretty good pace:

• Mile 1: 8:24
    • Mile 2: 8:34
    • Mile 3: 8:58
    • Mile 4: 9:12
    • Mile 5: 9:22 <— Gu #1
    • Mile 6: 9:21
    • Mile 7: 8:56
    • Mile 8: 9:06
    • Mile 9: 9:16
    • Mile 10: 9:27 <– Gu #2

IMG_0454.JPG

But, then I hit Mile 10.5 and things went down hill from there. :-?

The IT band on the left side of my leg started to feel really tight and even hurt a little bit. It didn’t seem like anything major, so I just stopped and stretched.

When I started to run again, I realized that I had made my IT band very angry. I tried to run the last 1.5 miles, but my IT band/knee wasn’t having it. Basically, it felt like an injury was waiting to happen– like if I pushed it, something bad would happen. So, I walked the rest of the way home and immediately put ice on it as soon as I walked in the door.

IMG_0016.JPG

Eventually, my sweaty clothing started to make me cold, so I moved myself to the heat vent while I finished icing.

IMG_0017.JPG

My IT band/knee feels better now that I’ve iced it, but I’m definitely giving it a break for the next couple of days.

Now, I am starving! Time to refuel with leftovers from On the Border! :mrgreen:

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I hate IT band pain. It’s so hard to get rid of as well. Hope it doesn’t bother you on your next run and the ice helps whatever caused it.

Have a great rest of the day!

Latina Health Diaries November 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I LOVE on the border! Wow. Wish I was having some of that food myself :). And PS: running 10 miles sounds like more than enough! Good idea to get some rest for a couple of days!

Lolly November 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

foam roller STAT!
    if you don’t own one, buy one STAT!

i love your marathon training posts–they are really inspirational.

Keri November 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Ughh at least you were able to get most of your run in. Very smart to stop…Good luck with the injury!

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] November 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Ugh! At least you got 10 miles done – that’s still pretty amazing! Hope your leg feels better. :-D

Lauren at KeepItSweet November 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm

ah that pain does not sound fun. congrats on making it over 10 miles!

Ash Bear November 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Great run even though your it band gave you issues! Hope you have a great day!!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Oh dear :( Hope it feels better soon! At least you knew to stop though, rather than trying to push on which could have really made things bad!
    Still, 10 miles at that pace is great! :D

Georgie @ Georgie Goes Healthy November 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Oh noooo! So smart of you to stop and walk the rest instead of continuing your run and hurting yourself even more. I am with Lolly when she says foam roller – Those puppies work miracles for IT bands. Enjoy your leftovers and I hope your IT band feel better soon!

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Sitting on the vent… that’s a benefit to having your heating vents built into the floor! I foresee Murphy taking a liking to that spot, as well. :) 12 miles is not easy!

Julia November 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I had problems with my IT band on my right knee and even stopped running for a while because I couldn’t figure out how to fix it or what was going on. Hopefully you can stop by a running store and pick up a band to go around your knee-it really helps!

grocery goddess jen November 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the pain, and I really hope a few days off and icing and stretching will make it all better :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm

good for you for not pushing it! hope it feels better!

Marisa @Loser for Life November 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm

My IT band/knee was perfect during my half training until I got to those double digits! Mile 11 was the trigger for me! I did just what you are doing – icing, foam rolling and backed off running for a week- and all went well with the half. Good for you for realizing that you don’t need to push it and do further damage! Hope it heals up quick for you, Tina!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans November 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Ditto all of the foam roller comments! Stretch, ice, and roll!

Nadine November 27, 2010 at 4:27 pm

ditto on the foam roller!! Painful but ultimately very, very worth it!

stacey-healthylife November 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Good for you for stopping and not hurting yourself.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

way to stop before you got injured! that could be a real damper in your marathon training…but way to go on the first 10 miles!

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Be careful with that IT band! It seems like a lot of us bloggers are having IT band issues (myself included…I have to cut way back on my half-marathon training for the next two weeks :/)

Unlike me, you actually listened to your legs, so I’m sure you will be great! :)

Great run despite the IT band! :)

Jara November 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Good for you for going for a run even without your team. Wish I had your motivation and I do hope that your leg continues to feel better :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Sorry about your IT band hurting. Hopefully the icing helped!

Angela (the diet book junkie) November 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm

oh dear, sorry to hear about your leg. good for you for listening to your body and stopping when you needed to. i’m still learning to do that myself. sigh… :p

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life November 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Good call on not pushing it too hard. Since IT bands run from your hip to your knee, angry ones can cause all sorts of pain!!

As others have suggested, foam rolling is a life saver, as well as specific IT band stretches (cross one foot in front of the other and bend to touch your toes)

Best of luck!

Laura @ Meet Virginia November 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Yikes – I hope it feels better soon! You did the right thing by walking the rest of the way. Take it easy! :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers November 27, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Oh no, the left IT band is my nemesis! Sounds like you did the smart thing by stopping and icing- hope it’s just a 1 time thing and you get back to running pain-free asap!

Liz @ LBBakes November 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Ugh, I’ve been dealing with those IT band/knee pains post-marathon. Hang in there, and foam roll!

Marci November 27, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Be careful with your IT Band! I am running my first half marathon next weekend and my left IT Band at the knee bothered me on my last long run of 10 miles. It hurt at mile 9 and I ran/walked the last mile. It sucked and scared me for the race. I wrote about it here: http://www.marcigilbert.com/2010/11/21/my-pesky-it-band/

Everyone says to foam roll, ice, and take it easy. And cross your fingers!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) November 27, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I hope that resting your IT band for a couple days brings everything back to normal! At least you listened to your body and didn’t push through the pain. This will definitely pay off for you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm

It is a good thing you listened to your body and stopped running immediately! :)

Alyssa November 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Sorry about your IT band! =( The best thing to do for the first 72 hours is RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). If you can, put ice on your bare skin & wrap an ace bandage at 75% of its stretching capacity around it for 20 minutes every 2 hours. I just learned about this in my Prevention & Care of Sports Injuries class lol. Hope that helps though!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing November 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I hope your leg feels better soon. I did something to mine a few weeks ago and haven’t been able to do much since, but it’s feeling better so I think I’ll try running tomorrow.

Hannah November 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Wow, I would definitely have taken the day off for the holiday too! You guys are troopers :D

Sana November 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I am glad you iced away- you will be better in no time!

Clairerose C November 28, 2010 at 12:12 am

Oh,no!! Ihope you heal and feel better soon!!!That’s a great color in the hall.What is it?:-)cc

the blissful baker November 28, 2010 at 2:14 am

hope your knee heals soon, so you can keep running!

Lauren @ Running Examiner November 28, 2010 at 7:53 am

So sorry to hear about your IT band pain. I know it very well, and can definitely attest to the fact it’s no fun — and not something to take lightly. Good for you for ending your run at the onset of the pain! Doing that will go such a long way in ensuring that you don’t suffer an injury. (I wish I’d had that foresight two years ago!)

IT band pain aside, you had a great run!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 28, 2010 at 8:30 am

I hope your leg feels better after a few days of rest!

Hahaha I love that picture of you sitting by the vent because I do the exact same thing whenever I get cold in my house! :P

Bekah @ runtrackmind.com November 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

IT band pain is the worst. Hope you are able to take care of it before it becomes a major issue.

Patricia November 28, 2010 at 11:41 pm

If your knee pain is related to IT Band Friction Syndrome, you should definitely check out the website: http://www.bulletproofknee.com . Good luck!

Monica November 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

Sorry to hear about the IT band issue.

It is so great that you stopped though when your body was sending a warning. Sometimes the hardest thing to do when training is to respect your physical limits and listen to those pain cues.

Brenda April 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Hi! I’ve actually hurt my IT band three weeks ago and it still keeps hurting anytime I try to run for long distances. The last time I tried running was two days ago and it was just suppose to be an easy 3.5 miler but my knee was killing me so i have once again taken a break off of running. I ice it every time it hurts but it hasn’t gotten any better.
    Any tips on how to get better?