• Facing My Fears

November 5, 2010

Greetings from high in the sky! 8-)

I’m heading west to San Francisco for the 2nd Annual Foodbuzz Festival! Wahoo!! I can’t wait! This weekend is all about good friends, good food, and good times! Just check out my posts from the 2009 Foodbuzz Festival! It was so fun! :-D

IMG_0008.JPG

Breakfast

On my way to the airport, I snacked on a Gala apple. It was crisp, sweet, and juicy! Just the way I like ‘em! :-D

IMG_0002.JPG

When I arrived at my gate, I grabbed an iced coffee from Cosi, which was just so-so. I know that I don’t like Cosi coffee, but I still buy it. Mental note: stop buying Cosi coffee.

IMG_0006.JPG

Once on the plane, I finally ate breakfast. I usually eat around 7:00 AM, so when 10:00 hit and my stomach was still empty, I started to get a bit cranky. I used Virgin’s in-flight entertainment system to order the Power Protein Breakfast, which included a hard-boiled egg, fruit, cheese, and a cinnamon raisin bagel. I feel so much better now!

IMG_0001.JPG

So, I bet you didn’t know that the best day of my life was also one of the most stressful. Not because of the wedding planning (I was the most stress-free bride ever), but because I was the center of attention. No joke, I thought I was going to pass out as I walked down the aisle with my mom. Luckily, I didn’t pass out, but I broke out in hives, started sweating, and couldn’t think straight.

TM_0179.jpg

So, I’m sure you can image how I feel in front of an audience of people that I don’t know. Public speaking is the bane of my existence.

HLS

Even as part of a panel! 8-O

HLS2

With that said, I agreed to speak on a panel at the Foodbuzz Festival this year. It’s called “Food Blogging Guide to Success (Whatever That Is).”

When to comes to food blogging, what is success? Panelists with different perspectives will talk about how they define “success” for themselves and their blog, and they’ll encourage you to do some deep thinking of your own.

Snapshot 2010-11-05 10-08-03.tiff

So, I’m sure you’re wondering why the heck I agreed to participate in this panel. Well, it’s a great opportunity to share my experiences and face my fears of public speaking. It’s also a huge honor that Foodbuzz asked me to participate. Basically, the awesomeness of the opportunity outweighed my fear of public speaking. Even still, I’m super nervous about tomorrow. If you have any words of wisdom, please feel free to share!

Do you have any social anxieties? What do you struggle with/fear?

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I’m not a huge fan of public speaking, either. Although it usually turns out just fine in the end. :) I’m sure you’ll do great!! Plus, so many of the people there are most likely readers..so you’ve already gained their approval :) It’ll be like seeing a celeb for them ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm

You’ll do great there Tina! Enjoy every second :)

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle November 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I don’t mind speaking in front of a group, as long as I know what I’m talking about. My worst fear is silence in that kind of a setting. I immediately start to feel awkward and then I stammer on and am always afraid I’m going to say something stupid or offensive!

Have fun at Foodbuzz! I’m so disappointed I couldn’t go :(

Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous November 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I hate public speaking too but I don’t have to do it that often, just occasionally for school. Good luck!

Caitlin November 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Good luck! I’m scared of dying, so public speaking isn’t as a huge a deal to me. Being a teacher helped!

C (TheDoggyMom & Giacobbe Diaries) November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Good luck Tina! When I speak in front of a group I get super nervous too. Then I just roll with it. It usually works out! But the one thing I cannot get over is my fear of heights. I hate being on a ladder especially. I get hot, sweaty, and dizzy! It’s awful!

Lacey @ Lake Life November 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Not loving the garnish on the boiled egg. I am a hater of garnish.

As for social anxieties, I hate meeting someone somwhere by myself. If at all possible I’ll have the person meet me by their car or in front of the place.

P.S. What does it mean to blog “for nearly years”?

Yajaira November 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I totally understand what you mean about the COSI coffee, I have the same problem with WAWA coffee. The BF loves their coffee!!! Sundays are our only morning we actually have breakfast together, so he usually runs out for coffee while I am out for my run. I really don’t know why I don’t just swing by a coffee shop on my way back home. LOL I really have to learn how to tell the BF no to the coffee and yes to a hot tea or something equivalent. :-) Good luck!!!!

Allie November 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Aww good luck with your public speaking :)

Hope November 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Good luck! Even though I enjoy public speaking, I still get super nervous beforehand! Just keep telling yourself that you got this! You know your topic so you’ll rock it!

Nowel November 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Gala apple=heaven, I hate when you think an apple is crisp and tasty and you bite into it and its soft and tasteless, ugh!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) November 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I totally understand you, but 100% believe in you!

claire November 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

It always helps me to think…this is “x” amount of time in your life. So if you have to speak or be involved on the panel for 2 hours-just think “this is 2 hours of my ENTIRE life” this will be over as soon as it starts and I will move on :) Hope that helps! I hate public speaking too! Oh and BE PREPARED-that helps too! Good Luck :)

Jen November 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

You are going to be awesome!!!!!

Jen

Lisa @ early morning run November 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm

You have a ton of experience and knowledge that other bloggers are just dying to learn. Just look at all the comments here, you may not know the people by sight, but they are not going to be strangers! Wish I was going to FoodBuzz, I’m sure your panel will be amazing! congrats on the great honor!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Don’t picture the audience naked! That just makes me feel awkward ;)

Just think you know what your talking about since you have a very successful blog and you blog everyday! It will be a piece of (carrot) cake to talk about something you do multiple times every day. Good luck!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Don’t think about it.

Seriously.

THat’s my best strategy about things that get me nervous. I just don’t think about them.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I DETEST public speaking so I can relate.. but I know you’re going to rock it!

Bekah @ runtrackmind November 5, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I think public speaking is the worse thing ever, but you should be so proud that you are facing the fear. Remember that if you speak the truth and from the heart you have nothing to fear….your beauty will shine!

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I have some social anxiety, too. I don’t like being the center of attention.

Steph @ Lick My Spoon November 5, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Tina, you will do great! (i’m nervous too)

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 5, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Breaking out in hives in such a beautiful dress? Bummer! That’s something to think about for my future wedding though, I could totally see myself flushing/turning into a blowfish in a similar situation.

the blissful baker November 5, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i also hate being the center of attention and public speaking!

Mom November 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Christine, Unfortunately I’m afraid you get that anxiety from me (sorry). So just think of what a good job I did raising you to be confident and you’ll be fine!

stacey-healthylife November 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm

That’s awesome that you are speaking, don’t be nervous. Remember you are among friends.

Heather November 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I enjoy public speaking so I can’t relate as much to this one lol! But I am sure once you get going you will do awesome! Just remember everyone there WANTS to hear from you and wants you to do well!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I think that’s awesome that you’re going to do a talk, even though you’re scared of it. You can only get better, right? :D Good luck with it! I’m sure you’ll do a great job!

caronae November 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I have a lot of social anxiety surrounding meeting people and making new friends and being in social situations with a lot of people. Oddly enough, I don’t really mind public speaking…

Hope you have lots of fun this weekend! I wish I was there. :)

Hannah November 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Good on you for taking this opportunity! Though I’m a little surprised you’re nervous about public speaking when you put your life on the internet for millions of people to see! Just shows that we can’t control our bodies’ reactions all the time…

I get anxious about going out to events with new people, but I can usually talk myself out of it because I know I have fun when I get there. Anxiety is always in the anticipation for me!

Becky November 5, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Tina,
    Your session is the one that I am most looking forward to. You come across as a sincere person, one you would want to have over for pizza and just relax! You will do fine!

dahli22 November 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Wow–what a great comments section! I didn’t mind public speaking in college but from then to now (20 years later) i have an absolute phobia. I have trouble doing presentations even to small groups. For me it’s all about preparation. I do better when I can speak extemporaneously…but my greatest fear is i’ll get a brain freeze–so I always write out what i want to say, that way i’ll have something to fall back on if i get all deer in the headlights.

Allie November 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Just remember that everyone is excited to hear what you have to say and respects your opinion and point of view!

Kathi November 6, 2010 at 12:47 am

I can totally relate. I learned that if you push your stomach out as you breathe in and really fill it with air it takes the nerves away. It works for me!!

Monica November 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Just take a deep breath and remember that these people value your opinion and care enough about what you think to be there. They all not only support you, but want to see you succeed – thus they are just good friends that you are talking to so no fears needed!

Also, use hand gestures for your nervous energy to keep moving and allow that energy to work its way out.

You will do great!

Pam (IIN Health Coach) November 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Good Luck Tina!! Practicing what you are going to say will help a lot, also the fact that you are passionate about the subject you are speaking will override the enormous fears that you have. You are special and have a wonderful message to share. Everyone will embrace your words and will benefit from hearing what you have to offer.
    Best wishes,
    Pam

Brittney November 7, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Late comment here, but I’m the SAME WAY about public speaking and being the center of attention. I totally agree about my wedding day- I hated being the center of attention and made my ceremony short and sweet so I didn’t have to stand up there with all eyes on me for too long. I’m thinking I should probably do toast masters or something, because I HATE to speak publicly, it really freaks me out!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm

You did awesome, Tina! I totally get that way about being the center of attention too so I totally understand.

Great meeting you! :)

Amelia November 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’m sure you did an awesome job! As for me, my fear is walking into a crowded room like a reception/party by myself.