• Murphy’s Q & A

October 21, 2010

Good morning! 8-)

Murphy has a fun post planned for today, but first let’s do breakfast! ;-)

I had a container of fresh raspberries that were beginning to get moldy, so instead of tossing them, I picked out the bad ones and threw the rest into a pot of oatmeal. The end result was sooooo yummy. I’m so glad that I didn’t give up on them! Plus, I forgot how much I like berries in my oats. Mal was also a fan of the addition. I don’t think he expected to see raspberries in his oatmeal this morning!

_MG_0390.JPG

As always, I also drank a glass of iced coffee with soy milk.

_MG_0406.JPG

Murphy’s Q & A

I receive a lot of questions about pugs– and, of course, I love answering them! :-D In the last week or so, a plethora of questions have come my way, so I thought it would be helpful (and fun!) to address them in a blog post.

Please note that this post is written from one pug owner’s perspective based on one pug, who happens to be funny, sweet, and well-behaved. ;-) All pugs are different, but, hopefully, my experiences with Murphy with help prospective and current pug owners.

So, without further ado, here’s Murphy’s Q & A! :mrgreen:

IMG_7230.JPG

How do you adjust for the temperature sensitivities that Murphy may have?  I live in a hot climate (San Antonio, TX).

Murphy does not do well in the heat, and he let’s us know loud and clear!

On Murphy’s afternoon walks, when it’s really hot outside (anything above 85*F), he sometimes refuses to walk and lays down in the cool grass. Occasionally, he “lawn surfs,” which is always entertaining to watch, but we never force him to walk when he’s hot and tired. In the summertime, we take much shorter walks and always bring water for him. The pace is also much slower since we frequently stop to let him cool off.

At home, Murphy does fine in the summer heat and hangs out in our apartment during the day. We only have air conditioning in our bedroom, so anytime we leave Murphy alone, we put him in the bedroom with the door closed and the AC on. And, of course, we always make sure that his water bowl is full. We put it in the bedroom with him when we leave him alone.

How often do you walk Murphy?

Murphy goes for 3 walks a day: two short walks (15-20 minutes) and one long walk (45 – 60+ minutes).

_MG_1300.JPG

How often do you clean Murphy’s face for food particles?

Hardly ever. He’s a pretty clean eater. However, I clean eye boogers off his face every morning!

How often would you say that he needs to go out to potty?

Murphy goes potty three times a day: morning (7:00 AM), afternoon (2:00 PM), and evening (9:00 PM).

IMG_0018.JPG

Did you have to convince Mal to get Murphy or did he want a pug as much as you did?

Well, I don’t think anyone wanted a pug more than me, but Mal was on board with getting one, too. The timing wasn’t ideal because our apartment complex didn’t allow pets, so it was a stressful time. But, as soon as Mal saw Murphy’s adorable pug face at the breeder’s home, he was hooked. M & m are pretty much in love now! :-D

My husband and I both work away from home.  We are gone for most of the day. Do you think that this would be a bad situation for a pug?

For my pug, it wouldn’t be an ideal situation. Murphy’s a very social pug– he loves people and other dogs– so I don’t think he would like being alone all day. He’d much rather be around people.

During the day, Murphy is always by my side. He sits on my lap while I work and follows me around the house. When I am cooking or cleaning, he sits right behind me and waits. When I fold laundry, he sits and leans on my legs. In the evenings, he watches us cook dinner and then cuddles with us on the couch. If Mal and I am home, Murphy is with us… unless he’s doing something he’s not supposed to!

I’m sure there are plenty of pug owners who are not home during the day and their pug does just fine. All pugs are different. Mine is just especially needy!

IMG_0024.JPG

I heard that pugs can sometimes be difficult to potty train. Are they?

Murphy was actually pretty easy to potty train, but we really kept on him. He hardly had any accidents in the house as a puppy because we were so obsessed with taking him out and rewarding him when he “pottied” outside. I can’t even remember the last time he had an accident in the house. He got it pretty quick!

Does Murphy always wear his harness?

He only wears it when he’s outside. There’s a leash law in our town.

_MG_1108.JPG

Murphy is so adorable, I am considering adopting one myself. I heard somewhere pugs can snore loud at times. Is this true?

Yes! Murphy snores like a chainsaw! He sleeps with us in bed, so I thought his snoring would drive me crazy, but I’m used to it now.

I’ve heard that pugs shed A LOT. How do you deal with the fur?

To be honest, not very well! Murphy sheds a ton! Every few weeks, we FURminate him and now he’s taking doggie multivitamins, which both seem to help with the fur issue. I’m also fanatical about cleaning the fur, so I don’t let it get too out of control. Now-a-days, I rarely wear black since the pug fur shows up on it so easily!

IMG_0014.JPG

I’m thinking of getting a small dog, but I live in an apartment. Do you find it hard to live with a dog in an apartment?

Personally, when we lived in South Boston, I found it sort of difficult to have a dog. There wasn’t a lot of green space to let Murphy run around, and I was always worried about him getting off leash and running into the street. But, now that we are in the ‘burbs, Murphy has plenty of room to stretch his little pug legs.

Where did you get Murphy?

Murphy came from a breeder in Western Massachusetts. Mal and I did a lot of research before selecting the breeder. If you’re interested, email me, and I will send you the details.

_MG_9939.JPG

Again, this is my personal experience with Murphy. If you’re a pug owner, I’d love for you to weigh in and provide your own experience in the comment section. It would be interesting to hear other people’s perspectives.

Happy Thursday! :mrgreen:

Jannna October 21, 2010 at 11:39 am

It’s so funny that you mention “lawn-surfing” -my 9 year old pug Charlotte lawn-surfs whenever she is not in the mood to walk with us! Pugs really are the best.

Chicago Cuisine Critique October 21, 2010 at 11:44 am

Murphy photographs so well. Love it!

Kelly October 21, 2010 at 11:46 am

Aww love the Q&A about Murphy, so cute. I want a puppy so bad!

diane October 21, 2010 at 11:48 am

His little tail gives me such a case of the squees. :)

Tina October 21, 2010 at 11:53 am

@Sarah for Real: Murphy doesn’t have any problems with his eyes or nose, but I think getting him from a reputable, AKC-certified breeder might be the reason. I think a lot of those issues occur in pugs that are not properly bred.

Tina October 21, 2010 at 11:56 am

@Jessica: As for coffee it depends. I like Starbucks coffee, but I hate paying the price. I usually buy whatever is on sale at the grocery store. I like Caftea, Dunkin’ Donuts, 8 O’Clock Coffee, and New England coffee.

Lida October 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Tina, I just tried Teddie PB for the first time… it blew my mind.

Mimi October 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Do you usually make breakfast for Mal?
    My boyfriend loves whenever I make breakfast (or any meal) for him!

Lisa October 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the Q & A! My boyfriend and I have pugs on our list of breeds to possibly get. Not sure yet.

Tina October 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

@Mimi: Most work days.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm

my sister has a pug and the way you describe murphy is her peanut to a T!!

Shayla October 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hey Tina! In the question you answered “we did a lot of research before choosing ‘her’”….is Murphy a girl or boy…..just curious cause I always thought Murph was a boy! Love your pug, absolutely adorable!! :)

Tina October 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm

@Shayla: The breeder was female.

Laurie @ Cookies 'n Cardio October 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Oh how I love Murphy! And to you potential pug owners… I was 17 when I got my pug, Mr. Teddy, and had NO idea the amount of shedding that would ensue. But I wouldn’t trade him for the world. Pugs are the most lovable, adorable, and LOYAL breed. Mr. teddy follows me EVERYWHERE, and always crawls his way into my lap… no matter how small of a space is he has.

Pugs are the bestest! :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim October 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm

My family has a toy fox terrier now, but he lives at home with my parents. I definitely want to get my own dog once I graduate from school, but am not sure of what breed. Reading this is making me consider a pug – the adorable pictures of Murphy definitely help too :)

Lauren October 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I have a pug too!

We live in Texas so it’s plenty hot. It’s all about being smart when you choose the time of day to walk your pug. Evenings or mornings when it’s cooler is always better. Our girl is 16 and is still as spicy as she was when she was a pup – taking good care of them keeps them around a while!

stacey-healthylife October 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Murphy’s such a great dog.

Kara @ MyWellnest October 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm

He’s such a handsome dude!!!

We have 3 pugs, we love them more than anything in the world! We found house training a bit of a challenge, but with consistency ours all caught on in time.

I have to sweep daily to keep up with shedding, but it’s worth it!

Lu October 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thanks! I can’t wait to get my pug. I’ll just have to watch him in the heat.

Rika October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm

MURPHY’S A GIRL!? o_o

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun October 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Aww! Loved hearing the Murphy Q&A’s. I noticed you take him on a lot of walks – is this because you want to or because you don’t have a backyard? (or do you?) Just curious because I have a backyard so I only take my doggie for a walk 3 times a week. :-?

Patricia October 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm

My twin sister has a pug and he loves laying outside in the heat. I have two pugs – Barnum and Jasmine. Barnum passed away last November due to cancer and diabetes. He was very friendly and snored. He woke my husband up one night and I was blamed until he realized it was Barnum snoring. Jasmine is my second pug. We rescued her from an abused home. She developed a blood clot and diabetes, but she is a fighter. We love her so much, except for the shedding. My husband loves hearing about Murphy too.

Tina October 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm

@Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun: We have a backyard, but we don’t use it very much. I think Murph likes the walks better because he gets to see other dogs and people.

Shayla October 21, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Oops my bad, duh! Thanks Tina ;)

Emilyeatsclean October 21, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Murphy is so photogenic….all his different expressions crack me up! :)

Holly October 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Does anyone know if pugs get along well with cats?

Tina October 21, 2010 at 9:05 pm

@Holly: Well, Murphy *thinks* he gets along with them, but they don’t like him!

Hannah October 21, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Oh :( I really want a pug but if they shed that much I don’t think I can, as my parents are allergic to pet hair and so I wouldn’t want to make it uncomfortable for them to visit. *sob*

Mari October 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Love this post. Murphy is so adorable!!!

Kimmy October 21, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I loved the link to Murphy’s “lawn surfing”. Hilarious. My pug girl, Gabbie, will literally just stop if it’s too hot out and looks up at you to pick her up. Gordie just keeps going, panting away. Murphy is so cute, very expressive!

Amy October 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I don’t have a pug (2 kitties and 3 kiddies is enough for now) but I just love Murphy!!! That photo of him with his head out the window is too cute! (and he looks so enraptured that I kinda want to get in the car and drive around with my head stuck out in the wind :P)

Stephanie C October 22, 2010 at 2:36 am

I love the murphy Q&A!
    I really want to encourage people who work a lot not to get a dog (unless you’re prepared to use a dog walker or go back during lunch).
    Growing up, my dad would come home from working during the day to take the dog out. Now that I am married, my husband works from home when I am not here and takes her out. When we weren’t able to take her out we had a dog walker take her.
    Also, when my husband started working away from home for a few months, he ended up taking her to his office (we were lucky they let us).
    On the other hand, my brother and his family have a dog, three kids and work full time. The dog is completely neglected and never gets the amount of exercise it needs!
    I know I may have an extreme view here, and obviously there are exceptions, but people shouldn’t take on this responsibility unless they have the time to devote to a) potty train b) take their dogs out every 5-7 hours and c) give lots of love!

Joanna October 22, 2010 at 6:43 am

We have a lil black pug a lug and he doesn’t shed. It is wild to think the same breed but a different color doesn’t do so but it is true! We took that into account when choosing our baby so if it is something you have issue with consider the black ones! They are equally as sweet as their fawn brethren!!
    MURPHY IS SO SWEET BY THE WAY!!

Pauline October 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I have a pug and must say that pugs are the most gentle, loving animals I’ve ever come across. They are wonderful with children! Mine is a fairly lazy pug. When he’s done with his walk, he’s done! You have to carry him the rest of the way. But he’s soooo cute that no one ever has a problem with it.

Theodora October 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I am reading this at work, and I want to go home and play with my dog!

Marina October 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm

This post just brightened my day :) I’m away at college and miss my newly adopted dog. By the way…I love your recipes, I’ve made a few in my apartment and they’ve come out deliciousssssss!

Hope October 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I love love love the picture of Murphy enjoying the breeze from the car window – it.is.gorgeous!!

Lys ~ Cooking In Stilettos November 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I have to say that when I first adopted my “Sous-Pug” aka Wiggy a couple years ago from a rescue, I had no idea that pugs were so loyal, lovable and just had to be around their humans 24/7. (I grew up with St. Bernards and poodles) This post answered a bunch of questions that I had about how pugs behave, including the lawn surfing :) – thanks!

Anadrol November 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Raspberrys are great, I love tossing some raspberrys or blueberrys in oatmeal or just making a shake, some honey and you’re set for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
    And, least but not last, that pug is so cute. :)

Ann D.

Anel February 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

My husband and I just welcomed a pug into our family! We are both so excited! He wanted a pug for as long as I can remember. She is such a lap dog which we absolutely love! Did you crate train Murphy? If so, did you have a hard time with it? Thank you!

Tina February 16, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Aww, congrats! Pugs are the best!

Yep, we crate trained Murph, and it was a piece of cake. Like most pugs, he was also highly motivated by food! 😄