• Body Pump: Tips for Beginners

October 6, 2010

Good morning! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your feedback on yesterday’s post about changing the format of my blog. After thinking about what everyone said, I’m going to continue to post my meals and snacks, BUT I’m not going to be as “strict” about documenting everything that goes into my mouth. It can be repetitive for me and I’m sure that my endless photos of oatmeal and iced coffee get pretty boring, so I will likely nix those from time-to-time as well as ugly/unappetizing meals. I hope this makes sense and you will still continue to visit CNC. I know you don’t want to miss the photos of Murphy! ;-)

Breakfast

I’m not going to lie, not taking photos of my breakfast this morning was quite liberating– and it saved me a couple of minutes! ;-) But, because I ate the exact same breakfast on September 15 (same ingredients, same Teddie jar, even the same drinking glass), I used a photo from that morning for today’s breakfast. The same placemats are still on my dining room table!

Oats in a Jar + iced coffee is one of my favorite breakfasts ever! :mrgreen:

MG_7642.jpg

I didn’t snap a photo of my actual breakfast this morning, but I took one of Murphy’s post-breakfast treat: a Greenie!! He gets them about once a week and he loves them!

IMG_0004.JPG

Body Pump: Tips for Beginners

I receive quite a few questions about Body Pump, including tips for first-timers. Usually, I just reply in an email with my ideas, but I thought the topic would make a great blog post. So here’s what I tell people who want to attend their first Body Pump class:

• Arrive 10-15 minutes before the start of class: Show up to class a little early to tell the instructor that you are new to Body Pump. Most of the time, they’ll give you a brief overview of the class and explain how to set up your equipment. They also keep an eye on you during class to make sure you’re doing the exercises correctly.
    • Set up your equipment where you have a good view of the instructor: You don’t have to set up directly in front of the instructor, but make sure that you can see what she/he is doing, so you can emulate their moves.
    • Don’t go too heavy on the weights: Body Pump is all about the burn!!! Keep in mind that you want to do continuous reps until the end of each track (song), which means you’ll be lifting the weight for 4-6 minutes with very few rests (if any). You can always increase your weight on the second class that you attend.
    • Don’t judge Body Pump based off your first class: Mal wasn’t a fan of Body Pump after his first class, but he gave it a second chance because I was so obsessed with it. By his third class, he was totally hooked! For most people, their first Body Pump class is a little confusing. There’s a lot going on and there’s a lot to learn, so try at least 2-3 classes before you give up on it.
    • Try different classes with different instructors: This was another big one for Mal. A Body Pump instructor can totally make or break the class, so try out a few different classes to find your favorite.

Body Pump is an amazing workout, and it’s easily my favorite way to strength train. If your gym offers it, definitely give it a try. It will change your body!!

I’ve actually missed Body Pump quite a bit since I started marathon training. Instead of going 2-3 times a week like I normally do, I only go once a week now. But, I’m thinking about going back to my usual routine. I feel like I’ve lost a lot of my upper body strength, and I don’t like it. I liked looking scary! ;-)

IMG_6857.jpg

What was the last new workout/group exercise class/DVD that you tried? Did you like it?

P.S Rebecca’s is hosting a Blog Bake Sale to raise money for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Be sure to check it out and get your bid on!!!

Maria runningcupcake October 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I LOVE body pump! I only go once a week as that is all the gym near me does, (plus time for running etc) but I love it so much! I would not be able to push myself to do those sorts of things at home

Katie (Sweets and Veggies) October 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been wanting to try out some of those classes so those are great tips!

Lacey @ Lake Life October 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I tried Zumba a couple weeks ago and LOVE it!

Lindsay October 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Body Flow! I love this class – its a combo of yoga, tai chi and pilates set to music. Great core workout with balance, strenth, twisting, sun salutations, etc. Love it…

chandra October 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Great BodyPump tips!

I tried Les Mills BodyJam on Tuesday and I LOVED it!! Despite the fact I can’t dance and do not move very gracefully, I had a blast and got a great workout. I’m going back tomorrow!

toni October 6, 2010 at 11:39 pm

The issue of Shape with Jewel on the cover this summer had a workout by Jackie Warner that I loved!! So after really liking the results from that, Ive been doing some of her workouts on the exercise on demand channel.

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit February 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I just went to my first Body Pump class last week thanks to this post – I know I’m really late, but I wanted to thank you! I’m SO glad I tried something new and I LOVE the class!

Colleen November 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Hi Tina, I just started a Body Pump class (different name but it sounds *very* similar) a few weeks ago. I really like it, but my question is how do you choose what weights to use? I started out very light, and have been slowly increasing every few classes. I am usually tired by the end of each track, sometimes even before the end, but my arms are never sore the next day. Should I increase the weight for my upper body tracks? Thanks for this post, btw. It encouraged me to try this class like previous commenters :)

Tina November 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@Colleen: It sounds like you’re increasing your weight the proper way! I usually increase my weight when it becomes ‘easy’ to get through an entire track. I like to struggle a little bit with the last several reps!

Beki @ MissWheezy May 17, 2012 at 11:15 am

I know this is an old post but I’ve been browsing your blog looking for fitness tips as I’ve just started my own fitness plan to kick myself into shape for summer. I was always a bit inconsistent with my workouts so I’ve created a chart to give myself gold stars when I complete a workout! I love taking classes at my gym and Body Pump is one of my favourites :)

http://misswheezy.blogspot.com/2012/04/fitness-plan.html Gold stars!
    http://misswheezy.blogspot.com/2012/04/exhausted.html Body Pump and Attack!

Loving your blog :)
    Beki x

Terra Simpson March 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

I LOVE BP!!!!!!! It’s so much fun. I LOVE getting my butt kicked twice a week. My insrtructors are awesome. I’m so addicted that I have some of the music on my ipod. Some of my co-workers cannot believe that I would do something like that. Not to mention they think I’m crazy for getting up at the crack of dawn for a BP class at 7:30 in the morning. Who cares though right?

Terra Simpson August 2, 2014 at 1:50 am

I’ve tried Zumba every once in awhile and it’s not for me. I’ll just stick with BP and arobics.