• Sculptures & Smokey Row

September 17, 2010

Happy Friday, folks! I hope your day is off to a wonderful start! :mrgreen:

This morning, Chandra and I met up again and went to see the Pappajohn Sculpture Park in downtown Des Moines. It was really neat! My favorite sculpture was the Nomade as seen below.

About the sculpture:

The figure’s sheer size dominates the park’s landscape, and its human form made from scrambled steel letters seems to suit the city’s vision of itself in the Information Age. The artist envisioned the letters as building blocks for words and ideas in the same way human cells for tissues, organs and bodies. They’re painted with white enamel that appears dark against the sunlit sky and glows at night, thanks to dramatic spotlights at the sculpture’s base. The effect is surprisingly ethereal for something that weighs about 4 tons.

I didn’t think that I was a huge fan of sculptures, but these ones were cool! πŸ˜€

Very funky and modern.

IMG_7734.JPG _MG_7750.JPG

After wandering around the sculpture park for a little while, Chandra and I headed to Smokey Row Coffee for breakfast.

We met Amanda there! πŸ˜€ It was so nice to spend time with her.

Smoke Row was such an adorable place– perfect for sipping coffee and working on a laptop! πŸ˜‰

I was surprised how busy it was for a Friday morning!

I started with a cup of Kahlua Caramel Cream coffee. I made the switch to hot coffee just to try this flavor. It was awesome– flavorful and sweet, but not too sweet.

To eat, I ordered the Early Riser sandwich, which was made with egg, bacon, spinach, and provolone cheese on ciabatta bread.

Once we finished eating, Chandra and I decided to celebrate Cookie Friday. She went with a chocolate chip cookie as big as her face. Literally!

I chose a sugar cookie with thick frosting and sprinkles. I ended up eating the whole thing before we left Smokey Row! πŸ˜‰

Lunch next and then off to the hog farm! Oh, boy! πŸ˜‰

Danielle September 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Wow – some of those sculptures look like they could be straight out of a dream sequence!

Fun times!

maria @ Chasing the Now September 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Oh my God! That cookie is HUGE!!!

The sculpture park looks like it was a lot of fun and very nice. I love when city’s set aside areas like this. :)

Caz September 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Your photos for the last 10+ posts don’t show up in Google reader anymore. Anyone else having this problem? I tried re-subscribing to your feed but it doesn’t help.

alyssa September 17, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Tina, those sculptures are amazing!

Whitney @ Whitinspired September 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

um holy crap those sculptures are really freaky! I want that chocolate chip cookie, yum!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm

YUM! that cookie looks delicious!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Yummy looking breakfast sammie!! The bread looks so fresh and delicious. Enjoy!

Doc September 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm

OMG! I live near Des Moines and I am so sad that you’re in the midwest and we couldn’t arrange something. On the off chance that you’re going to the DSM farmer’s market in the AM, you should e-mail me and maybe we can meet up. I’m going with my friend and her baby, and we plan to hit the area around 9am. Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed Iowa. This is seriously the best time of year to be here!

Sana September 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm

So awesome that you got to hangout with Chandra!!! One of the super cool bloggers I got to meet at HLS!

Megan September 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Glad you have gotten to get out and about in the city! If you do get a chance, definitely run at Grey’s Lake. You will not regret it! I have never eaten at that cafe in all the years I have lived here. Guess I have something new to try too.

Joe Hrdlicka September 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Welcome to Des Moines. Thanks for saying great things about our city. You have to do the Farmers Market on Sat. AM.

Hannah September 17, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I can’t decide which I like more – that first sculpture or your vibrantly pink cookie. Dilemnas!

CaSaundra September 18, 2010 at 7:47 am

Wow that sculpture is so cool–and I love the looks of that cookie you got…pink!!! :-)

Jessica@tastyandtrim September 18, 2010 at 10:17 am

Yay for cookie friday! Both of those cookies look delicious, and that breakfast sandwich doesn’t look too bad either πŸ˜‰ I adore ciabatta bread.

Republic Monetary September 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

That cookie looks amazing – considering traveling to Des Moines just to get it:)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

Wow! Those definitely aren’t your average boring sculptures. I hope you enjoyed Cookie Friday and your visit to the hog farm. Oink oink! πŸ˜‰

susan@MomSwimBikeRun September 18, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Chandra should have had a bigger cookie!!! LOL

chandra September 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I just finished my cookie this evening. :)

current penny stocks February 14, 2011 at 10:20 am

Could you message me with some tips about how you made this blog look this cool , I’d be thankful!