• Greetings from Des Moines!

September 16, 2010

Hello from Iowa!! It’s my first time in the state. Very exciting! :mrgreen:

So, I bet you’re wondering why I am in Des Moines for the next few days. Well, I was invited by Niman Ranch to tour one of their sustainable hog farms. First cows, now hogs! :-D (My life is so random!) The weekend also includes a special Farmer Appreciation Dinner where several nationally acclaimed chefs will join forces to prepare a fancy seven-course meal as a thank you to these dedicated farmers. Sounds pretty cool, right?

Niman Ranch invited me as their guest for the weekend, so my accommodations and transportation were paid for by them. As always, my opinions on CNC are completely honest and all my own.

Snack

So, something crazy happened today: I forgot to eat lunch!!! 8-O Honestly, I don’t think this has ever happened to me in my 30 years of life. I love food. How the heck could lunch slip my mind!?! I dunno, but it happened.

On my flight from Detroit to Des Moines, I snacked on some dry roasted peanuts and seltzer. I barely caught my connecting flight, so there was zero time for me to grab lunch. I was hungry on the plane, but the peanuts held me over quite well.

IMG_0001.JPG

I arrived safe and sound at the Des Moines Marriott Downtown. My room is nice. It has a great view of the city.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

How comfy does this bed look! I can’t wait to climb into it late tonight!

IMG_0005.JPG

Workout

Once I got settled, I hit the hotel gym for a 5-mile run on the treadmill. My run started out a pretty good pace, but towards the end, I lost steam. I even ended up walking at mile 4 to catch my breath. My body just didn’t have the energy it needed (probably because I didn’t eat lunch!). I finished in 47:19 (9:27 pace).

IMG_0008.JPG

I stretched and did a few crunches on a stability ball before leaving the gym.

IMG_0009.JPG

Snack

After my workout, I grabbed a banana and a bottle of water from the convenience store in the lobby to hold me over until dinner. My date for the evening is picking me up from the hotel in about 30 minutes! :-D

IMG_0014.JPG

I’m excited to explore a new city! See ya later! 8-)

Monica September 16, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Yeahhhhhhh Iowa!!!! I went to school in Iowa!

If you see any people wearing Hawkeye gear (easily noticed by their black and gold attire) be sure to yell GO CYCLONES at them! ;)

Have a great time in Des Moines, such an awesome quaint town!

Kelsi K November 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

@Monica: hahaha. That’s so true! Go State :)

Holly September 16, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Another comped trip? Kind of cool, kind of disappointing! I understand why you take them up on these offers, but sometimes it gets a little grating to read. Hopefully we will find out some cool info about the hog farms though.

Kristin September 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Welcome to Des Moines. Another local reader here excited that you’ve come to Iowa.

Andrea September 16, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I don’t really get why it’s disappointing that you’re on a comped trip.. I mean it makes me jealous but that’s about it!! Have fun on your trip, can’t wait to learn about the farm :)

Wei-Wei September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Ooh, who’s your date? ;) Have fun!

Tina September 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm

@Andrea: I don’t get it either.

Danielle September 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I was just wondering what Iowa is like… I’ve never been there either.

Amber K September 16, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Hotel gyms usually aren’t so nice, I’m impressed!

Katherine September 17, 2010 at 12:01 am

Wahoo Hawkeyes! Glad to see that you’re in the midwest!

Rachel September 17, 2010 at 1:11 am

Omg, I am so shocked that you are here! lol I live in Des moines and never thought in a million years that any of my favorite bloggers would visit! :) Hope you have a great time while you are here!

jenna September 17, 2010 at 8:23 am

how fun!! I’m impressed with your hotel room it looks so cozy!

J September 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

I know where Holly is coming from when she says it can be grating to read about comped trips. The posts often feel like big advertisements for companies and lose some of the charm and uniqueness that people love about CNC. For example, after the first Orlando post I skipped the rest because it felt like a tourism ad and just didn’t seem to fit into your healthy living blog feel. That said, you’ve worked hard to earn these trips so do enjoy them and share what info you learn.

taylor September 17, 2010 at 9:45 am

Awww you’re in my home state…enjoy Iowa!!

kelli September 17, 2010 at 9:46 am

I loved Des MOines when I visited several years ago.. Looks like a wonderful hotel too. Enjoy

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear September 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

Sounds like a fun trip! I enjoy reading about your adventures :)

btw. cool hotel room! have fun :)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory September 17, 2010 at 11:01 am

I heard on Oprah that Niman Ranch is the main supplier of pork for all the Chipotle restaurant chains…how cool!

If you are still in DM on Saturday you definitely need to check out the farmer’s market downtown, right on Court Ave!

Rebecca September 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I can totally understand why you almost missed your flight. The new Delta terminal here in Detroit is HUUUUUUUGE. It’s bigger than some of the airports I’ve been to, counting all their terminals. Have fun on this trip!

Cindy September 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hi Tina, I really love your blog, but if you want to give a full review ask to see the slaughter process. Wonder if you’ll be eating pork after that. Sorry to sound negative but had to chime in that it’s not all so pretty.

Erin @ The Houndstooth Apron September 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Enjoy Iowa! Hog farms are the best, my dad grew up on one in NW Iowa. And check out the Court Ave farmers’ market on Saturday, I can’t get enough of that place!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Like Holly @ CouchPotatoAthlete, I was also hoping you’d come to Minneapolis! Having you hear would be awesome for a MN blogger meetup!

Megan September 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Welcome to Iowa! I live in nearby West Des Moines and can’t tell you how much I love this city. If you have any extra time you should definitely check out the local scene. Enjoy your stay!:)

Sana September 18, 2010 at 12:15 am

I love all the cool blog related things you get to do!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

What a well-equipped workout room – for a hotel I’m impressed! :-)

Lisa @ Early Morning Run September 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm

that’s a great looking hotel gym! I know the Delta terminal at DTW very well. You probably got a good workout there if you had to go from one end to the other!