• Game Over?

September 2, 2010

Bad news on the house front: our second offer was rejected. In fact, the sellers didn’t come down at all on their counteroffer. Apparently, we’re not in a buyer’s market. Waahhh! :-?

At first, Mal and I decided to just throw in the towel and move on. But, the more we talked about the house, the more realized how perfect it would be for us. So, we called our realtor, pulled out the big guns, and made a hefty offer. Hopefully, this offer is one that the sellers can’t refuse. If not, we’re walking away for good! Wish us luck!

Dinner

Luckily, after a drama-rific afternoon, I was able to enjoy a nice, relaxing evening at Tory Row in Harvard Square with some lovely ladies. Jayne Karolow, the Events and Communications Manager for the restaurant, invited Chelsee, Susie, and me for dinner.

IMG_0002.JPG

The first thing that caught my attention at Tory Row was the beer list! There were so many great local brews and they were pretty affordable. I know my husband would be impressed!

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

Despite the awesome selection of beers, I ordered a glass of Chardonnay. It was just one of those nights that only wine would do.

_MG_7069.JPG

Chelsee, Susie, and I wanted to try several different items from the menu, so Jayne ordered a bunch of plates for us to share among the table.

We started with a couple of appetizers: Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with a baguette from Nashoba Brook Bakery  and the Spanish Cheese Plate with manchego, serrano ham, fig jam, and marcona almonds. The hummus was especially delicious.

_MG_7076.JPG

Then, we tried a couple of salads: Chopped Salad with smoked bacon, Great Hill blue cheese, and green goddess dressing as well as the Grilled Hanger Steak Salad with arugula, teardrop tomatoes, parmesan, and red pepper dressing.

_MG_7081.JPG

The Grilled Hanger Steak Salad was really something special. The parmesan cheese was to die for. I’d definitely ordered this salad again.

_MG_7082.JPG _MG_7083.JPG

Jayne raved about the Lillet Spritzer on the menu, so, midway through the meal, I decided to give it a try. Lillet is a brand of French aperitif wine. It’s a blend of Bordeaux wine and citrus liqueur made from sweet and bitter oranges and grapefruit peels. The spritzer was very nice– slightly sweet, refreshing, and perfect for (late) summer.

_MG_7088.JPG

The Bacon Flatbread was my favorite dish of the evening. It had smoked bacon, Vermont white cheddar, baby spinach, and Bermuda onion on it. Yuuuummm! So much flavor!

_MG_7091.JPG

We also tried the Croque Monsieur with black forest ham, gruyere, whole grain mustard, and mixed greens.

_MG_7093.JPG

And the Grilled Tuna with haricots vert, and whole grain mustard–ginger vinaigrette.

_MG_7102.JPG

And, of course, we made room for dessert!! The four of us shared the Brownie with Ice Cream. It was rich and delicious, and I only needed a few bites to feel satisfied.

_MG_7112.JPG

A big thanks to Jayne and Rachel (the manager of Tory Row) for inviting me to dinner. I really enjoyed myself! :-D

IMG_7114.JPG

I’m exhausted after today. House hunting is emotionally draining. Let’s hope that Mal and I receive some good news about our new offer tomorrow.

Good night!

laine September 3, 2010 at 9:14 am

I’m curious about why you are posting your house buying strategy on your blog while you are still in negotiations. The sellers could very well have read your last post where you talked about low-balling the offer and how much you loved the house and then realized that they could reject your low offer because they knew you really wanted it. All they need to do is google “Tina and Mal” and the second link is where you talk about the low ball offer.

This strikes me as the type of thing I’d leave private until it was done.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

That’s so strange. You’d think in this market the seller would be dying to get the house off his hands. I hope your counter offer is just what he’s looking for!

Stacey September 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

My fingers are crossed for you! I really hope you get the house. And yes, sometimes you just need wine…beer can wait until another night ;)

Molly September 3, 2010 at 9:45 am

do you know what I love most about your blog? You eat real, honest, food. I mean, who doesnt love bacon on their pizza or a brownie to finish it off? I see so many bloggers almost scared to divulge in those things…and its refreshing to see someone loving every bite of life. Thank you!

Beth @ bethcooks September 3, 2010 at 9:49 am

It always works out for the best! I made an offer on at least two homes and got rejected, then finally got my current house- I love it!

Keep hope! It’ll hapen for you guys :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim September 3, 2010 at 9:58 am

That bacon flatbread looks amazing! I hope your offer gets accepted! Best of luck :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

Sorry about the house- it stinks they didn’t even bother to help out with the counteroffer. Hopefully this one works! It’s so much easier to handover all that money when you really love the house ;) (Ok not easier….just not as painful ;))

Cynthia September 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

Good luck with your house hunting. I know how you feel, been there, done that. Here’s a story for you. We put an offer on a house that we really liked and were told there was another offer on the table, we really wanted the house so we bid a bit higher than the other buyers. Come to find out that the other buyers realtor and the buyers were best friends and they got “our” house!! So feeling really sad and angry I fired our realtor and got a new one the same day. We found our current house within a week and I love it. We’re there 5 years now and it stills feels like yesterday. So don’t loose hope, it will work out soon, and it will be worth it in the end.

BTW, where did you get that adorable top you’re wearing….dish it girl!! :)

Tina September 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

@Cynthia: Kmart! :)

Chicago Cuisine Critique September 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

Yum! That restaurant looks delicious. I may have to check it out the next time i’m in the Cambridge/Boston area. Good luck with the house!

Chelsea September 3, 2010 at 10:27 am

That looks AMAZING. I’ll be in Boston in a few weeks, and I’ve got a LONG list of places I’ve bookmarked from your blog to keep in mind. Funny enough, every time I go, since my friend lives in Brookline, we end up at the Publick House, which I see you’re a fan of, too!

Best of luck with the house search! And have a nice weekend!

Lauren @ 40Apples September 3, 2010 at 10:33 am

Nooo I’m sorry about your offer being rejected :( Wishing you much luck with this offer!!

The dinner looks fantastic!

Kate September 3, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh no :( Best wishes with the new offer! My parents bought a new house this past year… we were actually in Disney World the week when all the negotiations were going on with our realtor, trying to figure out how much to offer and such. Needless to say, it was a stressful vacation! We did end up with the house though and I guess all I have to say to you is that if it’s meant to be, then it will happen. Good luck :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

Bleh, that’s no good about the house! Keeping fingers crossed for you two!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) September 3, 2010 at 11:15 am

Best of luck with the house! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

steph September 3, 2010 at 11:19 am

I think Someone above has a great home in store for y’all, certainly that’s why it’s been such a process. Good luck – things will work out!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) September 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

ever since i had my first croque monsieur a few months ago, it’s been on my mind. time for another one!

Alyssa September 3, 2010 at 11:45 am

Good luck with the house! I really hope you guys get it =)

Amber K September 3, 2010 at 11:57 am

That bowl of hummus looks huge!!!

I hope you can get that house! I’m dreading house hunting because I get so attached to things and I know to properly do it you can’t get too emotionally involved or you end up overpaying.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) September 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Still have my fingers and toes crossed! :-) The food looks fab! The right place will happen!

Beth September 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

House hunting is so draining – everything will work out in the end and you will be where you were ment to be! Lots of sleepless nights when I went through the process. Happy thoughts coming your way.

Enjoy your weekend!

Kelly September 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Aww I hope this offer gets accepted!

Emily @ The Happy Home September 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm

you ladies look gorgeous! sounds like a really neat restaurant.

good luck on the offer!

Kristina @ spabettie September 3, 2010 at 1:26 pm

sending you Good House Vibes… :)

Stefanie September 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Good Luck with the house!! It’s such an emotional rollercoaster. My husband and I were supposed to close on our house today but there were some last minute bank glitches, so no go. So disappointing. I’m sure that it will all work out for you guys, you just have to keep your spirits up!

Hannah September 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm

My parents sold in a buyer’s market and bought in a seller’s market, and I can still remember the atmosphere of anxiety-but-we-must-persevere that pervaded our lives at that time. Good luck – it’ll all be worth it in the end, no matter what happens with this particular house.