• Fall Is Here

September 12, 2010

My favorite time of year is here: football season!!!

Ok, the above statement is a complete lie. I actually dislike football, but I’m attempting to like it this year. Mal and his BBF, Daveare freaks love football and already have plans to get together every Sunday (or Monday) for the game until the end of the season. I don’t want to miss out on the fun (or the yummy food), so I figure if I can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

To get us more involved, the guys actually created a special Fantasy Football league for Marie and me this afternoon. It’s just the four of us competing and we each have $10 on the line. I’m super competitive with this type of stuff, so, hopefully, I’ll get into it and enjoy watching football a little bit more.

IMG_0050.JPG

Murphy doesn’t know a thing about football, but whatever Dad likes, he likes. Murph sported his new Patriots jersey this afternoon.

IMG_0027.JPG

Bella is also a Pats fan. How adorable is she!?!

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0029.JPG

Look at that face!! Murphy is exhausted from playing with Batman all weekend.

IMG_0034.JPG

Dave and Marie hosted for today’s game, so they made some delicious eats for us to enjoy. We had homemade blueberry coffeecake and mimosas.

IMG_0008.JPG

And a little while later: Buffalo Chicken Dip! :-D

IMG_0039.JPG

This stuff is so addictive! I could not stop eating it and now it’s sitting in my stomach like a rock. I actually don’t think I’ll need dinner tonight.

IMG_0045.JPG

[rewind to this morning in Vermont]

Mal and I woke up early to get on the road back to Boston. But, before we headed home, we made a couple of pit-stops in Stowe and Waterbury. First stop: The Bagel.

IMG_7582.JPG

For breakfast, I ordered a toasted Oatmeal Honey Raisin bagel with “Health Nut” cream cheese, which was made with shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, and honey. Um, amazing. I also drank an iced coffee with milk.

IMG_7586.JPG

Our next stop was Cold Hollow Cider Mill for cider donuts, which are the most amazing donuts on earth. They’re super soft, moist, and made with apple cider. They’re my favorite type of donuts. Easily.

IMG_7593.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

How adorable is this place?

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7589.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG IMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7591.JPG

Mal and I each enjoyed a couple of cider donuts on the car ride to Boston. Pure donut heaven.

IMG_7602.JPG

Recap of our Vermont weekend coming soon!

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) September 12, 2010 at 9:54 pm

That sounds like the most amazing cream cheese! And apple cider donuts?! Yum!

michele September 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm

The dog jerseys are adorable! Where did you get Murphys?

Chelsey September 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love Murphy’s jersey!! Hope you had a great weekend!

Gwen September 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

OMG Cold Hollow is THE BEST. And the Bagel is right down the road in Stowe from where we are getting married! Can’t wait to see more about your trip. I love people loving my home state! I’ll be there in three weeks!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana September 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm

How cute does Murphy look in his jersey? ;)

I love it!

And I reallllly want to try those donuts. yummm

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I’m not a football fan either, but I like going to my school games! It’s fun to be a part of all the spirit. :D

Hope you and Mal had an awesome weekend!

Alyssa September 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Tina, how much fun! Looks great! Did the cider mill have hard cider too?

~Alyssa

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm

i can’t wait for the recap! i like to pretend i was the one on vacation…is that bad? :)

Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm

1. Murphy & Bella look SOOOO ADORABLE in their pats gear. I wish my dog would wear a jersey, but she’s not comfy in them at all. She does, however, sport a Chargers bandana.

2. Good luck on your fantasy team. Hopefully, it’ll get you liking football more (and you win!)

3. Cider donuts look so yummy. Must put that on my list of things I NEED TO EAT

Wei-Wei September 12, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Glad to see you back blogging! I hope you enjoyed your break :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm

a place dedicated to all things BAGELS!! thats pretty fabulous ;)
    mmm coffee crumb cake, always love it for breakfast or brunch best <3

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 12, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I love football, though mostly college. My sister plays in a fantasy league and she loves it (and football), so I’m sure you’ll catch the fever soon enough!

onehealthyapple September 13, 2010 at 12:11 am

I don’t watch football- the only time I did was last year but the parties are fun!

I love little Murphy’s outfit!

caronae September 13, 2010 at 12:23 am

This post officially got me excited for fall. Yay! :)

Hannah September 13, 2010 at 12:30 am

That health nut cream cheese sounds amazing! Hope you’re enjoying your break – it is lovely to hear from you again though :)

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 13, 2010 at 4:52 am

Wow, that bagel sounds divine. Like, seriously good! Good luck trying to enjoy the football. :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 13, 2010 at 7:11 am

Glad to hear your getting into football, Tina! I have to admit I am not that interested in it myself but whatever…Those cider donuts look amazing by the way! :-)

Ananda September 13, 2010 at 7:18 am

I’m not a big fan of pro football but I LOVE college football. We basically plan our fall weekends around Buckeye games :) Good times

Tina September 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

@michele: Kohls.

whitney September 13, 2010 at 7:33 am

your bagel and cream cheese sound amazing along with the mimosa’s ( one of my favorite besides bloody Mary’s)

Chelsea @ healthsea September 13, 2010 at 7:33 am

The dogs in the jerseys are SO cute! And if a big Giants fan is saying that about two dogs in Patriots gear, you know they must be. ;)

That buffalo dip looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

Sara September 13, 2010 at 7:42 am

I’m not a fan of football, either…and the South = college football land! Especially Athens. I’m trying….I really dig the food that comes with football games, at least :D

My dad is OBSESSED with fantasy football and my roommate’s boyfriend is on four teams! Can’t wait to hear what you think about it!!

Maura September 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

Oh that bagel looks great!! I was matching Murphy with my Moss jersey on yesterday. What a way to start the season huh?!! Soooo excited :) But Tom has to cut his hair, btw.

CaSaundra September 13, 2010 at 7:50 am

I am usually not a huge bagel fan..but yum, that does sound good, especially with the cream cheese! Looks like you had a wonderful time–can’t wait to hear/see more!

Tina September 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

@Maura: Oh my gosh, YES! He looks like such a tool!!

Erin September 13, 2010 at 8:05 am

I am also trying to like football this season! I even got a book by Holly Robinson Peete called “Get Your Own Darn* (*I censored the word) Beer, I’m Watching the Game” which is intended to help women become football fans. We shall see! It looks like you had an awesome weekend. I love the fall so much!

Tina September 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

We were in Vermont this past Christmas and stopped there for the cider donuts! It was my first one ever-delicious! Sadly, there was no pressing going on, I assume since it was the middle of winter, but the shop was adorable and we bought some really great stuff.

AllieNic (Frisky Lemon) September 13, 2010 at 10:39 am

Stowe is SO beautiful! My stepmother lived there for years so I’ve spent a fair amount of time there.

You and Mal should think about running the Stowe 8miler next summer! It’s an 8 mile race through Stowe (with parts on the bike path) that ends at Ye Olde English Inn (across from the Bagel basically). You get free beer and ice cream at the end of the race! It’s usually pretty small, and SO beautiful!

medical equipment September 13, 2010 at 11:29 am

that buffalo chicken dip looks scary! its a strange orange colour. you got cute dogs love those tops they wear

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Buffalo chicken dip AND apple donuts!? I don’t even need to know what happened during the rest of the weekend to know that you had a good one! ;)

Briana September 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Nothing better than a good cider mill on a fall day ! Can’t wait to get there myself !

Your pup is cute :)

Jay September 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I really, really HATE football so I turn into a football widow every year. Thankfully DC has enough things to keep me occupied during that time. I also have a humongous Netflix queue ;).

I tried to be interested for the sake of my fiance but I just…can’t. It’s such a lame (and violent) sport to me.

Rosey Rebecca September 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I can’t remember if I commented on this post yet, but if I did, now you have two.

OMG Murphy is so adorable in that jersey.

I think that Vermont is the ultimate fall vacation spot. In fact, I think you’ve inspired me to go there with Jeff for our anniversary on Thursday. I am obsessed with everything fall (who’s isn’t?) and I need to get my hands on an apple cider donut immediately.

And, that bagel combo sounds amazing! I am in love with all things bagel, so you know a bagel shop called “The Bagel” is calling my name.

Whew– long comment! <3

Michelle September 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I just had apple cider donuts this past weekend. There is a place that I go every year, just outside of Rockford, IL. Edward’s Apple Orchard. I make a bee line right to the cider donuts and when they hand me the bag of warm donuts, I usually spend a couple of minutes with my face stuck in the bag!!!!!!! The smell alone is intoxicating!!!!

Kal October 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I was reading along and saw the pic of Cold Hollow and thought…”Wow, who would have thought there would be more than one.” I had no idea you were in/near Vermont and assumed it was somewhere else! I am from Vermont and this was a tradition along with Ben & Jerry’s in Waterbury and the Cabot Cheese store! GREAT memories. Our daughter goes to college in Vermont so I get to do the traditional drive a couple of times a year coming and going to Norwich! Michigan has maple syrup and great apples but it’s still not the same as Vermont!