• A Day In the Life

September 30, 2010

… of Murphy!!! :mrgreen:

During the work week, Murphy wakes up with Mal and me around 6:00 in the morning. Once we get out of bed, he doesn’t want to miss a thing!

IMG_0001.JPG

While “Dad” showers, Murphy waits for him on the rug in the bathroom.

IMG_0018.JPG

Meanwhile, I start making breakfast for Mal and me.

Then, it’s time for Murphy to eat his breakfast. He woofs it down in a matter of seconds, so we put a ball in his food to slow him down and prevent choking.

IMG_0003.JPG

While Mal and I eat breakfast, Murphy hangs out with us and tries not to fall asleep. He’s so tired in the morning.

IMG_0044.JPG

Around 7:00, Mal leaves to go to school. Murphy and I head out for a walk around the neighborhood so he can do his “business.”

IMG_0023.JPG

About 20 minutes later, we return home and it’s time for “cheese,” which is Murphy’s multivitamin. I used to give it to him wrapped in a piece of cheese, but now he takes it without (like a big boy). (The vet prescribed the vitamins to help with Murphy’s excessive shedding. It works pretty well!)

IMG_0003.JPG

After an exciting morning, it’s back to bed for the pug.

IMG_0001.JPG

Until I wake him up a few hours later. I don’t want a lazy dog!

IMG_6783.JPG

Murphy “helps” me work for the next few hours by sitting on my lap and keeping me company– sort of like the photo below.

IMG_0012.JPG

Once I finish my afternoon blog post, Murphy and I go out for his long walk of the day. Most days, we walk for an hour or more.

IMG_0013.JPG

Our walk almost always includes some stick chewing.

IMG_0033.JPG

Then, Murphy waits for Dad to come home.

IMG_0017.JPG

When Mal gets home, he and Murphy play together and run around the apartment like freaks.

IMG_0015.JPG

Murphy keeps us company while we cook and eat dinner, and then Mal takes him out one last time to go “potty.” Murphy then hangs out on the couch with us until it’s time for bed.

IMG_0005.JPG

I’m telling ya, it’s a tough life for this dog! ;-)

Breakfast

Yummy breakfast this morning! I incorporated the last Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scone into a bowl of overnight oats. Last night, I mentioned that I was getting sick of these scones, but it was delicious crumbled up in a bowl of overnight oats. It added so much flavor!

IMG_0002.JPG

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
    • 1/2 Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scone, crumbled
    • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
    • 1/3 cup water
    • Raisins
    • Chia seeds
    • 2 scoops of Barney Butter

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Complete this sentence:

I feel healthy when…

P.S. I’m hosting a snack giveaway over on Trading Up Downtown today. Be sure to check it out! :-D

Laura September 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Tina, I love your blog! I have a 6 1/2 year-old black Pug named Louis who is the light of my life. He and Murphy could be BFF’s … They live the exact same life ;) What is the name of the vitamin that the vet prescribes Murphy for shedding? Louis has the same problem – Thank you! :)

Heather October 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

@Laura: I would be interested in what this multivitamin is as well, I have a pug beagle cross and she sheds an entire dog in a day :) it’s dreadful the excessive shedding!

Mary (Sisters Running the Kitchen) September 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm

aww this post reminds me of my 2 little dogs. My dogs always follow me into the bathroom as well! Some people think it is strange that my dogs are waiting in the bathroom for me to shower, etc. Murphy is so cute! I love the picture of you feeding him his vitamin and I love the picture of Mal and Murphy playing in the house!

Paula September 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm

You’re so lucky that Murphy waits an hour before he needs to go outside in the morning. My pack heads for the door the minute I get out of bed. Adorable post!

Lisa September 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Man Murphy’s got the LIFE!!!

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness September 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I feel healthy when I get a good night’s rest; 8.5 hours of sleep is my magic number.

LOVE all of the Murphy photos… keep ‘em coming! That last photo of the set is soooooo cute :-)

Katie (Life... Discombobulated) September 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

This post made me smile all the way through! He is so dang cute and you have photographed him so well!!!

I feel healthy when I break a sweat. It makes me feel clean on the inside.

Heather September 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I feel healthy when I drink lots of water, always makes me feel good inside and out.

Murphy is just a doll, looks like he has some fun days!

Sally September 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I absolutely love the all-doggie post! Murphy has the most expressive and lovable face. Please do more!!!

Amelia September 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Awww…I love Murphy! I want one of my own now. :)

I feel healthy when I do what’s right for me – drinking lots of water, eating right, working out hard and getting enough sleep.

Mena September 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Please share the name of the vitamin you give your pug. Our black pug sheds like crazy!

Shaina September 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm

What type of vitamin do you give Murphy? I have a pug mix that leaves hair EVERYWHERE.

Monica September 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I love your pug and really need a pup! I am so jealous of your walking buddy!

I feel healthiest after spin class!

Katie September 30, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I feel healthy when I start my day with a green smoothie and when I’ve completed 60 minutes of an Urban Iron (muscle conditioning) class.

Courtney@foodnfashionlife.wordpress.com September 30, 2010 at 4:25 pm

That picture of him on the couch waiting for Mal is absolutely precious!

Ariffa September 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I feel healthy when I listen to my body. So taking a rest day if I’m honestly tired, and eating chocolate when I really want it.

Natasha September 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Love the “day in the life of Murphy” post!!

I also do the pill in the cheese trick with my Jaxson, but he has suddenly recently caught on, and now eats the cheese but spits out the pill:) Little bugger!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] September 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I want Murphy’s life.

Lesley September 30, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hi Tina,

I can’t remember when I discovered your blog, but now that I’m “stopping by” on a daily basis, I thought I should say hello!

That was the most ridiculously cute post, especially that pic of Murphy waiting for your husband on the couch. I love dogs in general, but I have been known to squeal “ahhhhh Pug” whenever I see one, and promptly scare the dog owner as I run toward them…it would be cute if I wasn’t 30, I’m sure.

I feel healthy when I eat breakfast. Simple, but eating a healthy breakfast every day is a relatively new habit for me, and has really made a huge impact on how I eat/feel the rest of the day!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I feel healthy when… I drink plain green tea :)

Lauren September 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Haha, Murphy has the life! :)

Lindsay September 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Love Ali #90 comment about feeling healthy when your life is in balance. How true.

Emilyeatsclean September 30, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Ohhh Murphy! ;) I feel healthy when I’m running!

MelanieF September 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Cute!!! My cat thinks is a dog too. He runs down the stairs when he hears on of our cars in the driveway. He follows us around the house like a dog. :-) It’s just fun to have a furry baby.

Mari September 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This is one of my favorite postings to read!! Murphy has a great life!! Isn’t it great how much happiness a pet can bring??

Alyssa September 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I’m quite jealous of Murphy =P

Cristina @ Cristina Meets Life October 1, 2010 at 12:27 am

I feel healthy when… I’m giving myself the following ingredients:
    - enough sleep
    - zero caffeine
    - balanced meals

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 1, 2010 at 12:40 am

OH my that last picture of Murphy is priceless!

Sara October 1, 2010 at 7:37 am

AHH I loved this post! I think it’s so funny that he passes out midmorning :)

I feel healthy when I’m not stressing out about school.

Kristy October 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

So many smiles… I’m jealous of how much time you get to spend with your dog :-(

GoingonGoals October 1, 2010 at 11:10 am

I feel healthy after a nice run and a hot bowl of oatmeal and a hot cup of coffee. I love pumpkin, chocolate and peanut butter in oatmeal. What a great combo!

Grace October 2, 2010 at 7:57 am

I feel healthy after I’ve had a solid workout.

I love your idea to put a ball in Murphy’s food. My dog does the same thing & I worry all the time about her choking. I’ll have to try that out too.

Katie October 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Murphy is seriously TOO cute! Loving the faces…

Kristy November 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

What kind of vitamin is it that Murphy takes?
    My dog sheds like crazy…currently we squirt a doggie Salmon Oil supplement on her food but I don’t really see a difference.

Tina November 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm

@Kristy: Check my FAQs! :)