• The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

August 30, 2010

Let me start off by saying that I don’t like amusement parks. I think they’re cheesy and overpriced, and I’d rather spend my time and money elsewhere. However, I’m a big fan of the Harry Potter books.

At first, I didn’t think Harry Potter was for me. Wizards and magic? Totally not my thing. But, my husband fell in love with the Harry Potter books right from the beginning, so he insisted that I give them a try. Well, I blew through the first book in a few days and finished off the next five in a couple of months. (I still need to read the last one.) And, just like that, I became a Harry Potter fan.

IMG_6801.JPG

Anyway, the point of tell you all of this is because I thought I would like visiting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but I didn’t think I would love it. Well, I LOVED it! :mrgreen: In fact, I enjoyed the experience so much, my new goal is to take my husband there before this time next year. If I loved it so much, I can only imagine how much he would love it. I actually think he would geek-out! ;-)

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

Walking around and seeing what I read in the books made me so excited. (I’m such a nerd!) I walked around with a goofy smile on my face all afternoon long.

IMG_6790.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

_MG_6820.JPG

Kisses for Hedwig! :-D

IMG_3873

The paintings really talked!!! So cool!

IMG_0001.JPG

The Harry Potter ride was incredible. IN.CRED.IBLE! Mal is going to lose his sh*t when he goes on it!

IMG_0004.JPG

This is the actual car used in the movie!

IMG_6825.JPG

Here are Carol, Audi, and me behind Hagrid’s house. You could even hear Fang inside barking!

IMG_6826.JPG

Clearly, Butterbeer is part of the Orlando culinary experience! ;-)

IMG_0009.JPG

I ordered the frozen Butterbeer, which tasted like a butterscotch + vanilla cookie milkshake. I slurped it right down! Delish!

IMG_0010.JPG

And, while at Harry Potter, I crossed off another item from my Life’s To Do List! :mrgreen:

With a little coxing from Carol, I rode my first-ever upside-down roller coaster!!! Cross #37 off the list! :mrgreen: It actually wasn’t all that scary. It was more thrilling than anything! I’m so glad that I decided to do it.

IMG_6838.JPG

After our adventures in Harry Potter land, we headed to Mythos for lunch.

_MG_6840.JPG

For lunch, I ordered the Wild Mushroom Flatbread with mushrooms, mozzarella, and white truffle mushroom emulsion.

_MG_6846.JPG

I’m always skeptical about theme park food, but this pizza was quite tasty.

_MG_6855.JPG

We finished lunch with Caldron Cakes! Our host from the CVB, Denise, purchased them from Honey Dukes for all of us to share. These Cauldron Cakes were made of brownie-like chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling inside.

_MG_6857.JPG

If you’re thinking about taking a trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I highly recommend not going on a weekend. It was a complete madhouse at the park! Luckily, we had VIP access and a special tour guide, so we were able to whiz in and out of attractions and rides, but if we didn’t, it would have made for a long day of waiting in lines.

Visiting Harry Potter at Universal Studios was such an AWESOME experience. I’m so glad that I had the opportunity to go. I can’t wait to take Mal now! :-D

Amber K August 31, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’m not a fan of Harry Potter, but then again I don’t think I can truly say that. I have never actually read the books, I’ve only seen parts of the movies.

Katherine August 31, 2010 at 11:20 am

I love Harry Potter but I don’t know anyone who has gone yet so its great to see a review!

Jill Will Run August 31, 2010 at 11:30 am

My husband and I were planning to go to Florida this May for our 10th wedding anniversary. You’ve just convinced me that we need to go to The Wizard World of Harry Potter! It looks awesome!

Jennifer August 31, 2010 at 11:33 am

My husband and I were at Harry Potter earlier this month! LOVED it! We were very lucky that it was not busy at all when we went (it was a Sunday afternoon/evening). Even saw a rainbow after coming out of the ride (the first time, that is … yep, we went back and got on it a 2nd time)!! We saw the park at nite, too, and it was spectacular!! Frozen butterbeer is a must! The food at Three Broomsticks is very good! We bought a bottle of Pumpkin Juice to take with us and when we drank it the next morning, we really wished we had bought more than one bottle. Somehow, we missed seeing Hagrid’s and the car, tho. Don’t forget to check out the Wand Experience at Ollivander’s ~ spot on to the books!!!

JavaChick August 31, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Oh! I want to go!

My husband and I were opposite of you and Mal. I read the books first (at the time only the first 3 were out) and Husband was thinking I was nuts for reading children’s books, even though I told him they were really good. Then when the first movie came out we saw it together and he was hooked. We’ve both read all of the books and seen all of the movies.

Monica August 31, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Aren’t you just dieing to read the final book to know what happens?!?

I didn’t think I would like Harry Potter either, but the stories are well written and very interesting.

Allison K August 31, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I geeked out when I first read recap post on Meghann’s blog about this. I’ve never had an desire to go to the amusements parks in Orlando until I read about this one! I soooo want to go!

Katie (Sweets and Veggies) August 31, 2010 at 3:32 pm

That’s so cool!!! I wanna try some of that butterbeer, it looks delicious! I’m thinking about going to Disney World over spring break and it would MOST DEFINITELY be a mad house!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 31, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I’ve been a Harry Potter fan from the very beginning when my mom brought home the first copy her library got. :) I’m an uber-nerdy HP fan, so obviously I would love to go!!!

Harry Potter Birthday Favors September 1, 2010 at 5:43 am

Cool pictures. Your so lucky to have the chance to see this place. I love Harry, Can’t wait for another new sequel.

Alyson September 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

:) That’s awesome! (says the girl who just had a marathon of the Harry Potter sort last night) Totes jealous!! :) I can’t wait to check it. Amazingly awesome! I want some butterbeer. ;) Just the thought of it makes me geeky.

Kyra September 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm

You are very lucky you had VIP access. All we did that day was wait in lines: 1-1/2 hours to get IN to the Harry Potter section of the park, an hour to get in to a store to get a wand, and an hour in each the hippogriff ride line and the hogwarts ride line. Ugh.

Rachel September 1, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Um. I didn’t know that park even existed. How AWESOME!!

Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! February 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Had to read this recap because I AM GOING THIS WEEKEND AND I AM SO EXCITED OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

Okay, that’s all.