• The Last Hurrah

August 10, 2010

I totally took advantage of my last day in New York City.

_MG_5772.JPG

My day included cookies from Levain Bakery on the Upper West Side.

_MG_5775.JPG

I received so many recommendations for this place, I just had to go.

IMG_0003.JPG

Levain Bakery offers four different types of cookies, so I ended up ordering the Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie and the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookie to share with my husband and our friends, Matt and Kristin.

Btw, I love the owners’ story for creating these cookies!

IMG_0002.JPG

After grabbing a couple of cookies to go, Mal and I headed to our friends’ apartment where we enjoyed a cocktail hour and broke open a bottle of champagne to share.

_MG_5783.JPG

_MG_5785.JPG

Nice job, Matt! ;-)

_MG_5787.JPG

Then, we went to dinner at Galanga in the West Village.

IMG_0005.JPG

To start, we ordered a round of drinks and a couple of appetizers for the table, including Jeeb Dumplings, which were made with steamed chicken, prawn, and finely cubed water chestnuts wrapped in wonton pastry and served with a soy sauce.

IMG_0012.JPG

And the Duck Basil Spring Rolls, which were made with roasted duck tossed with house basil sauce rolled in spring roll skin and accompanied with pineapple sauce. Both apps were excellent!

IMG_0011.JPG

For my entree, I ordered the Drunken Noodles, which were Thai street style hot and spicy wide rice noodles with chili pepper, bell pepper, Chinese broccoli, and basil. It was amazing! I was so full, but I could not stopping eating it!!

IMG_0016.JPG

M & T + K & M! :mrgreen:

IMG_0018.JPG

After dinner, we headed across the stress to a Belgium beer bar.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

There, we ordered another round of drinks.

IMG_0032.JPG

And we broke into the (weighty) Levain Bakery cookies.

IMG_0033.JPG

These cookies are no joke!! They’re big and thick with a crunchy outside and a soft, moist inside. Basically, they’re the most perfect cookie ever. I want them for every Cookie Friday!

IMG_0036.JPG

Mal + Matt! :-D

IMG_0037.JPG

Mal and I are catching a super early train back to Beantown in the morning. I’m sad for my New York City adventures to end, but I miss my dog SO MUCH! I can’t wait to see his adorable face tomorrow.

Gooooood night! :mrgreen:

P.S. A big congrats to Kath who passed her RD exam this afternoon!!!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health August 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

NYC is the best, there is always SO much to do there! Those cookies look so amazing, I am drooling right now. I could travel to NYC just to get those cookies :p

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 10, 2010 at 10:23 am

Glad you had fun in NYC and hope you’re having a safe trip home!! those cookies look instense and *perfect*!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 10, 2010 at 10:38 am

Yum, drunken noodles. I love Thai food! I’m horrible at ordering different things when I eat it though- this girl loves some Pad Thai!! :)

Angela August 10, 2010 at 10:41 am

So glad you had a great trip! Levain bakery is the best. Also I love Vol de Nuit. Reading your posts these past few days is encouraging me to take advantage of my home. It’s so easy to find your faves and not venture out. Thanks for reminding me of all the great places in NY!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 10, 2010 at 10:57 am

Those cookies look amazing! I’m glad you had a great time in NYC.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 10, 2010 at 11:19 am

Those cookies do look quite amazingly perfect, even if they are four bucks! Safe travels : )

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 10, 2010 at 11:27 am

SOOOOO hungry looking at this post – I need a cookie, stat. Looks like your vacation was a great one!

Lisa August 10, 2010 at 11:43 am

That’s a great “last hurrah”! I’m really hungry now. ;)

Stacey August 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Sounds like a great last day in NYC.

Those cookies look amazing!!

Jenna (Hello, I Love You) August 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm

What a great vacation! You look so happy in these pictures Tina! :)

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

i love a huge chunky cookie – those sound amazing! glad you had a wonderful last day in the big apple.

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Those cookies are serious!

Marian @ The Clock-Racing Gourmet August 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

NYC is always a blast and there’s never enough time. I’ll definitely look for Levain the next time I’m there.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Tina, if I could I would totally take one of those cookies right off the screen. They look amazing and that picture of you is too funny! Have a good trip home!

Rachel @ tamingthetart August 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Love drunken noodles! Those cookies look to die for!

Tina August 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Hey Tina!
    I absolutely love your recipe for the Pumpkin Carob Muffins, but I can’t get to the recipe anymore. Is it lost? I would love to have it again!

Erika August 10, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Oh dear – those cookies look and sound amazing. Wish I could visit NYC.

Lorin August 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I went to New York for the first time in June and I went to Levain bakery!! Sooo goooooooooddd!!! Max Brenner’s has an amazing chocolate pizza too, whenever you go back go to that place! I definetely gained some weight in New York but I don’t regret a single second with all that delicous food there!

stephanie@Avocado Nation August 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Oh man! Levain cookies are the best! I loved to get them when they were warm from the oven and still semi-raw inside. So good!!

Sharon August 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm

oh wow…the cookies LOOK good!!!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Oh man, I LOVE Levain Bakery. Their cookies are perfection, but huge. I always brought a partner in crime with me whenever I had a craving for one in order to split the calories.

Glad you had such a good time in New York! It made me nostalgic, as I lived there a mere two months ago.

Tina August 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm

@Tina: I just reposted it, but I will email you too! :)