• The Best Type Of Meal

August 26, 2010

In my opinion, the best type of meal starts and ends with dessert! :mrgreen:

_MG_6339.JPG

While getting ready for dinner, a special something was delivered to my hotel room: butterscotch pudding from La Luce, the restaurant where we were scheduled to eat dinner in just a couple of hours.

_MG_6327.JPG

I specifically remember the butterscotch pudding from the Pillsbury Bake-Off, and I’m all about the “eat dessert first” philosophy in life, so I dug right  in… and I couldn’t stop. I only planned to eat a few bites, but I ended up eating 3/4 of it! Holy delicious!!

_MG_6328.JPG

The butterscotch pudding was served with big chunks of chocolate toffee, which were great for scooping! ;-)

_MG_6330.JPG

Just a little while later, I headed downstairs to La Luce for dinner.

_MG_6347.JPG

_MG_6353.JPG

After some brief introductions, we enjoyed a glass of Prosecco and a few appetizers.

_MG_6356.JPG

The first appetizer served to the table was the Antipasti Misti, which came with salame, mortadella, roasted peppers, olives, provolone, and garlic toast.

_MG_6358.JPG

I tried a bite of everything.

_MG_6359.JPG

_MG_6362.JPG

The second appetizer was the Fritto Misto, which was fried calamari, rock shrimp, fennel, onions, and green beans with a spicy aioli. Loved this one!

_MG_6364.JPG

We also tried some fried olives. Who knew fried olives were so delicious? They sort of reminded me of fried pickles, but, obviously, they tasted like olives. Same idea, but you know what I mean, right? Ok, I’m rambling. I’ll stop! ;-)

_MG_6372.JPG

With the salad course, we enjoyed a wonderful Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley called Frog’s Leap. My husband would love this wine. It’s totally his “type” of white wine– crisp and refreshing with subtle citrus flavors and mineral notes. I’m pretty sure I’ll seek out this wine back home.

IMG_6376.JPG

We had a choice of two salads: Stone Fruit Salad and Caesar Salad. I generally like Caesar Salad, but the Stone Fruit Salad sounded much more interesting to me.

_MG_6381.JPG

It included mixed greens with goat cheese, Marcona almonds, fresh cherries, and a light Moscatel vinaigrette. The cherries were definitely a special treat. I don’t think I’ve eaten a cherry all summer!

_MG_6383.JPG

With the entree course, we were served a glass of red wine. I drank a sip to try it, but I wasn’t in the mood for red wine tonight.

_MG_6390.JPG

Jess and Marc in action! :-D

_MG_6396.JPG

I chose the Seared Salmon Filet for my entree. It was served with potato puree, tomatoes, and a chive butter sauce. It was absolutely delicious, but the entree course included lots of small plates for the table, too.

_MG_6398.JPG

We also tried a white pizza with figs, gorgonzola, caramelized onions, and aged balsamic. I loved it, but I could only manage a few bites. I was already full and knew dessert was still on the way.

_MG_6407.JPG

My favorite dish of the night was the Bucatini Amatriciana with bacon, tomatoes, onion, chilies, and Pecorino Romano. Unfortunately, I didn’t snap a good photo of it, but you can see the last few bites on my plate that I couldn’t finish. The combination of ingredients + the Italian pasta was outstanding.

_MG_6417.JPG

At this point in the meal, I was stuffed, but I managed to eat a few bites of Dessert #2: La Luce Tiramisu. The tiramisu is made with Illy espresso, créme anglaise, and chocolate shavings. I really wanted to eat more of it, but I just couldn’t. I had reach my limit for the night.

_MG_6427.JPG

Great meal with wonderful company! :-D

IMG_6429.JPG

After all of that good eatin’, I need to lie down and rest. We have another food-filled day tomorrow. I just need to remember that this culinary tour is an eating marathon, not a sprint! ;-)

allie August 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

that meal looked amazing. even as a native ny’er, i thought you were in nyc for a minute and then remembered it was orlando!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Every single thing looks delicious! What happened to your second stomach for dessert? ;) I don’t know how you stopped after a couple bites! That tiramisu looks fantastic!

Kristen August 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

That Fritto Misto looks amazing!

I’m noticing figs popping up more and more in foods and recipes lately! Aside from the fig newton (I know!) I really don’t think I’ve tried them!

Shanna @ shannalikebanana.wordpress.com August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am

Butterscotch pudding to start? Heck yes!

Looks like a lovely dining experience.

I’m very curious about the fried olives..neat!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 27, 2010 at 11:05 am

Holy cow, every single appetizer and entree you sampled looks outstanding. Although, the one that made me drool the most was that gorgeously presented butterscotch pudding. I may be biased though, because the Waldorf Astoria is a hotel that holds many special memories for me.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 27, 2010 at 11:06 am

Ok, I just reread the butterscotch pudding portion of this post and realize that it was from La Luce. Still amazing!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 27, 2010 at 11:09 am

Wow I’ve never seen fried olive before..but I’d guess they’d be a lot like fried pickles? Just not as sour. Heck, they’ll fry anything these days!

Beth @ bethcooks August 27, 2010 at 11:28 am

Everything looks incredible. That pizza includes all of my very favorite things! YUUUMMMM!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

Pizza and salmon in the same meal?? You are one lucky blogger, Tina! ;)

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 27, 2010 at 11:41 am

I’m so jealous of your trip! The hotel and the food all look amazing. and they are free!!

My kinda heaven..

jassy August 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm

i just saw the new look for your website and it is pretty…love the design and the font…what font are you using? this is really so nice…i love it! :)

Dee August 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Oh my gosh! YUM! Everything looks TOO good on here. Definitely a restaurant to try if I’m ever in Orlando! :)

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! August 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Frog’s Leap is my FAVORITE vineyard and sauvignon blanc! I was actually just there last weekend! They have a beautiful property, and they grow everything–their grapes and their whole orchard–completely organically and pesticide-free. I’m so happy to see their wine being served outside California!

Emily @ The Happy Home August 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm

oh, my! that dessert and those salads look SO good! (apparently, orlando doesn’t like vegetarian bloggers, though! eep!)

MelanieF August 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Wow! That’s the best invite you can get in my opinion. Free food, and free wonderful food? I’ll take that any day! :-)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Oh my gosh, can we switch lives for the next couple days?! I’m so ready to fly down to Orlando to eat all these wonderful things that you get to taste!

Faith @ lovelyascharged August 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Oh man, what a gourmet lineup! Totally jealous!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Looks like an amazing meal!

Paige @Running Around Normal August 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm

What an event!! Everything looks spectacular!

Emily @ Run Emily Run August 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Oh my gosh I want to try fried olives so badly!

Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista August 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I agree the best meals do start and end with a dessert :) your desserts look a lot better than my usual piece of dark chocolate though!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) August 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Dessert delivered to my door? Um, yes please!! What a fab meal, it all looks so amazing.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) August 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

SO much fun foods and company. I love how colorful everything is, but I’m mostly attracted to that pizza. ;)

What a fun experience! :D

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm

all of that foodlooks amazing! The butterscotch pudding looks especially fabulous ;)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

That all looks amazing! I liked what you said at the end about it being a marathon not a sprint. That is great advice for anyone – not just “Food Week” go-ers. :-D

Anne @ a daily slice August 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I love fried pickles, but I don’t know if I could roll with the olives. Although I eat pickles right out of the jar, so maybe it’s just an obsession :)

cassie August 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm

OMG, everything looks so yummy.. the pudding looks absolutely delish.. fried olives? that’s a first.. i’ve never heard of that..

Carla August 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Your food photos are looking top notch! The antipasti photo (2nd esp) and the fritto misto photo look straight out of a mag!

Cedrick Pang November 29, 2010 at 11:45 am

This is such a wonderful resource that you are offering and you give it absent for free. I love seeing web websites that comprehend the worth of offering a top quality resource free of charge. It?s the outdated what goes around arrives around program.

Alysia Hespen November 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This really is such a fantastic resource that you’re offering and also you give it absent for free. I love seeing web websites that comprehend the value of providing a quality resource for free. It?s the old what goes around comes around routine.