• Suite?!? Sweeeeet.

August 26, 2010

Greetings from Orlando!! 8-)

This afternoon, when I checked into the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek, I had the following conversation:

• Front desk lady: Welcome to Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek, Mrs. Haupert. I see that you are staying with us for four nights.
    • Me: Thank you. Yes, I am.
    • Front desk lady: Would you like one key or two?
    • Me: One is fine. Thanks.
    • Front desk lady: One key for each room?
    • Me: **blank stare**
    • Front desk lady: You have a suite for your stay. I’ll give you one key for each room.

Woah!!! A suite?!? I wanted to jump up and down and shriek like a little girl, but I kept it together, like the mature 30-year-old that I am. ;-) I thanked the front desk woman and briskly walked to the elevator, so I could see my room.

_MG_6309.JPG

Holy amazing! The suite is easily the nicest room I’ve ever stayed in. It’s HUGE!! There’s a living and dining area, an office, bedroom, two bathrooms, and two flat-screen TVs. It’s definitely my lucky day! :mrgreen:

_MG_6323.JPG

_MG_6311.JPG

_MG_6316.JPG _MG_6317.JPG

_MG_6320.JPG

_MG_6315.JPG

_MG_6303.JPG

_MG_6306.JPG

Ok, so I bet you’re wondering what the heck I’m doing in Orlando for the next four days. Well, the Orlando Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) invited me and five other bloggers for a weekend getaway focused on experiencing the dining and culinary scene in Orlando. I guess Orlando is not synonymous with fine dining, so the CVB wants to change this thinking.

The Orlando Convention & Visitors Bureau invited me as their guest for the weekend, so my flights, accommodations, meals, and related expenses will be covered by them. As always, my opinions on CNC are completely honest and all my own.

Workout

After freaking out unpacking and relaxing a little bit, I headed outside for a run. As soon as I stepped outside, I realized that running in Orlando in the middle of the afternoon was a terrible idea. I immediately turned around and ran 4 miles (35:29) on the treadmill in the air-conditioned gym. I would have melted outside in that heat!

Mal did his 4-mile run at home in Boston. Here’s his recap:

Thursday’s run: 4 mile easy run (29.41). This was a tough run on me.  I ate to soon before the run and had stomach cramps the entire time.  One thing I’m looking forward to with this training is learning more about what my body likes/doesn’t like while exercising.

House Update

So, the house inspection did not go well. :-? But, I’m okay with the outcome. If it was meant to be, it will be. This house just wasn’t the one for us.

After a 3.5 hour house inspection, Mal learned the following things about the house we almost bought:

• There is an active infestation of carpenter ants in the house and garage.
    • The roof on the house and garage need to be replaced ASAP.
    • None of the electrical outlets are grounded. Basically, you can’t plug in things with three prongs, like computers, TVs, powerstrips, etc. This is a major problem for a blogger.
    • The deck on the back of the house was built improperly, so water runs into the house when it rains, which has caused corrosion in the kitchen.

There were a bunch of other things, but these were the big ones. Sadly, there’s just too many major fixes for us, so Mal and I are rescinding our offer. Back to the drawing board. It’s a good thing that I like to look at houses! :-D

Dinner is in about an hour. Better go pretty myself! ;-)

Elina August 27, 2010 at 9:23 am

Uh sorry to hear that! Inspections are never fun because they always find things wrong. We had them completely redo the walk-in closet because there was mold there… and it was crazy frustrating but obviously it worked out at the end.
    Btw, you probably don’t remember but our final place was the 3rd offer we made… we withdrew our first one and had crazy drama on the other one, and I couldn’t be happier with the place we ended up with. Sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise! :D

Liz @ lizrunsdc August 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Sorry about the inspection! I know first hand how tough house-hunting can be when you fall in love with a place and get your hopes up. But like you said – if it’s meant to be it will be!

Di August 27, 2010 at 9:55 am

Sorry about the house. That’s one of the crappy parts about house hunting…it can go wrong at any time. :( You’ll find the perfect house, I’m sure!

That suite is gorgeous!

Amelia August 27, 2010 at 10:04 am

Holy nice! That desk, that bed! I would have freaked out and not been ashamed about it (as long as I was in the suite with the door(s) locked). :) Sorry about the house but it sounds as if it was truely not meant to be. There’s one out there with you, Mal’s and Murphy’s name all over it!

Monica August 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Sorry to hear that the house didn’t work out, but glad to hear that those red flags were caught before it was too late! The house you are meant to be in is out there and waiting! ;)

Rachel August 27, 2010 at 11:44 am

Oh, I’m so excited to hear about fine dining in Orlando. Having been there for business trips in the past, I was definitely one of those under the impression that it was nonexistent. I recall bad bar food and an awful TGIFriday’s breakfast buffet that smelled like a frat house. I certainly hope you are treated to much better! :)

Sorry to hear about the house. I went through that last year. I had four contracts fall through before one finally worked out! You are right that if it is meant to be, it will work out in the end! Good luck!

Dee August 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Oh my gosh! A suite?! How flippin’ fantastic! :)

I am sorry to hear about your inspection. I hope you find the house meant for you. :)

MelanieF August 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Wow, that’s a wonderful suite! Lucky girl. I have a question that’s totaly out of topic. I hate flying, I am basically the most nervous flyer ever. I have to take anti-stress pills to help me during flights. My question is: with all that traveling, how do you stay so calm, especialy when flying everywhere?

I’m flying into Orlando in 7 days so that’s why I’m wondering.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

The suite looks amazing!! I’ve never stayed in one before, but I bet it would be awesome to experience some day.

Its good that you are very…zen (tried to think of a better word and couldn’t!) about the house. You’ll find something that suits you, hopefully soon!

Jennifer August 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm

The house def sounds like a no-go. Don’t worry, you’ll find something better!

Jennifer(Savor) August 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Gorgeous room – have a great time

faith @ gracefulfitness August 27, 2010 at 6:04 pm

we just got an inspection done last week as well and had a very similar experience. I thought the house would come out with flying colors but after 3.5 hours I was ready to walk away. we have talked to a lot of plumbers and electricians about the issues and if the seller agrees to the asked for credit we will go ahead with it and close next Friday. Good luck!

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com August 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

I”m sad for you about the house! BUT what they say is usually true – there’s a better one out there for you…though it’s hard to hear when you’re heartbroken about the one you just lose – I’ve been there!!

Lauren @ Running Examiner August 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

So sorry to hear about the house :( You’re right, though–if it were meant to be, it would have happened. While I’m sure the news came as a disappointment, it’s SO much better to learn about a house’s quirks (or, in this case, major issues) before you commit to it and move in!

The right house is out there waiting for you–I’m sure of it ;)