• Songs That Bring You Back

August 18, 2010

I didn’t get home until super late last night, so I decided to save my recap of dinner and the concert for this morning. I’m sure you understand, right? ;-)

Early in the evening, Mal and I headed to the Atlantic Beer Garden to meet some friends before the Ray LaMontagne and David Gray show at the Bank of America Pavilion.

IMG_0003.JPG

I started with an Allagash White at the bar.

IMG_0007.JPG

Allagash White is my go-to beer for summer. It’s perfect for warm weather! :-D

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

When the roof deck opened, we headed upstairs to finish our beers and enjoy the view of the Boston skyline and harbor.

Recognize my dress? My blog buddy, Kath, gave it to me. It’s made by Mahi Gold and it was so comfortable to wear! :-D

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

With dinner, I enjoyed another Allagash White.

IMG_0013.JPG

And shared a plate of nachos with Mal.

IMG_0014.JPG

The nachos were nothing special– just your typical bar nachos with lots of cheese and limited toppings, but they totally hit the spot. I can’t remember the last time I had nachos!

Ray LaMontagne opened for David Gray, so we made sure not to miss a single second of his performance.

IMG_0019.JPG

Most of the songs that Ray played were from his newest album, which was released yesterday. I really liked his new stuff. I definitely need to get my hands on his new album.

IMG_0021.JPG

Concertgoers: Mal, Josh, and Danielle! :-D

IMG_0025.JPG

David Gray was full of energy and amazing as usual, but last night’s set was so similar to the show I went to in October, I didn’t get to hear anything “new.” Of course, I enjoyed seeing David in concert, but I was a little bummed. He did, however, play an outstanding acoustic version of “Shine,” which made me happy!

IMG_0028.JPG

David played a number of songs that “brought me back.” I first started listening to DG in the summer of 2000 when I lived on Block Island with some college girlfriends. Pretty much any song from his White Ladder album brings me back to that summer.

IMG_0034.JPG

Similarly, anytime I hear “The One I Love,” I think of Mal and cutting the cake on our wedding day.

IMG_0038.JPG

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast included lots of nut butter! I spread cashew butter on my whole wheat toast and peanut butter on the extra banana pieces. Mmm!

IMG_0041.JPG

Mal offered to grab Starbucks, so I’m waiting on an iced soy latte right now! ;-)

IMG_0044.JPG

What song(s) bring you back to special times in your life?

P.S. Don’t forget to enter my raffle to win a juicer and support Team in Training!

Wei-Wei August 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

Cashew butter is so light coloured! Is it raw or roasted?

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

I always find it so funny when I have meals similar to other bloggers without even realizing it! I am in the middle of writing a post about my breakfast – toast topped with Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter and bananas. <3

Lauren @ Running Examiner August 18, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love your dress — so pretty!

Sounds like a great concert :) David Gray has an amazing voice.

Tom Petty and Joan Jett bring me back to my childhood, as my parents loved both of them equally :) The song “Untouchable Face” by Ani Difranco reminds me of high school, and all the tortured love my friends and I felt for (immature) boys!

Shanna @ shannalikebanana.wordpress.com August 18, 2010 at 10:45 am

Mo Money Mo Problems brings me back to HS and college ;)

Emily August 18, 2010 at 10:45 am

Nachos are by far the best bar food. Especially to split!

Angela August 18, 2010 at 10:47 am

I love David Gray. Looks like you had a blast!

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding reminds me of every summer at the beach where I used to nanny. Always have to steal my kisses by Ben Harper reminds me of my first boyfriend and summer fling. Simon and Garfunkel, the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac remind me of my mom. Now I’m homesick – but in a good way. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 18, 2010 at 10:48 am

That dress is adorable and fits you really well! The song “Semi-Charmed Life” (and really any Third Eye Blind) song brings me back to a summer that I went to Colorado to sleep away camp for the first time (yes, it was a long time ago!)- good memories. :)

Krystina August 18, 2010 at 10:49 am

I LOVE Ray! I’m glad you had a good time. :D

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 18, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love your sunglasses!!

I agree with Shanna….Mo Money Mo Problems remind me of college good times for sure! Also “Ain’t No Fun”….dirtiest song ever but it was huge in college!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 18, 2010 at 11:01 am

aw that dress from Kath is really cute on you! It looks comfy too. I really love going to concerts. Seeing Ben Folds always brings me back. I love him!

ActiveEggplant August 18, 2010 at 11:15 am

I love love love Ray LaMontagne! Sounds like that was a great concert!

Kacy August 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

Great dress! So many songs take me back to different times, that’s what I love about music.

Callie August 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

I knew I’ve seen that dress somewhere else before! It looks great on you. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

I love listening to old N’Sync CD’s- they always bring me back :P

Amber K August 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

Any song from high school and college takes me back to how carefree I felt driving around with my best friend!

Mac August 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

Billy Ray Cyrucs… takes me WAAAAAY back! My cousins and I used to always line dance to his hits and belt out the tunes!

Michelle August 18, 2010 at 11:29 am

Sim Redmond Band, a lovely little hippie band out of Ithaca brings me back to my days attending Ithaca College. It makes me miss beautiful autumns with outdoor concerts (and plenty of booze!). Thanks for bringing me back, Tina!

sweetersalt August 18, 2010 at 11:34 am

Nice! Allagash White is my favorite too. I’ve met the owner of the brewery – super nice guy, really passionate about making great beer.

Hayley August 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

“City on Down” by OAR- it was my senior song!
    Beer and nachos are the perfect concert-going food.

Katherine August 18, 2010 at 11:42 am

I know exactly what you mean! “Life is a Song” by Patrick Park reminds me of college graduation, “What’s my Age Again” by Blink 182 reminds me of high school graduation and oldies remind of growing up.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 11:51 am

“Single Ladies” I will always remember when my friends and their RA did the entire dance to that song. It was epic.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 18, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love white beers in the summer as well, especially Hoegarden.

Glad you had a good time out with the hubs and friends. I love concerts. Songs that bring me back to a specific time would have to be stuff from the late 90′s. I was in my teens, and that’s when my musical tastes really started to develop. Under the tutlelage of my brother. I learned to appreciate indir/alternative rock such as Pavement, The Eels, and The Flaming Lips.

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write August 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm

John Mayer brings me back to falling in love with my husband. We’re going to his concert next week, and I’m so excited!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales August 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I love cashew butter so your breakfast looks amazing! It looks like tou had a great night out.

Lisa August 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I love David Gray. Years ago I had tickets to see him when he came to Portland but the show was cancelled due to sickness and he never came back. :(

Kaitlin August 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I have that same Mahi Gold dress in pink! It’s adorable. I’m actually ashamed/embarrassed to say that I bought it orignally for my 7 month old daugher in aqua. I’m totally not into the matching thing, but I did end up buying one for myself. We don’t wear it on the same day- who am I to compete with an ADORABLE 7-month old!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

You look beautiful in your dress! The Joker by Steve Miller Band brings me back to being a teenager and the summer concerts I would go to on the lawn. Have a good day! :)

Stacey August 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Newish reader, first time commenter. I stummbled upon your site about a month ago and now I read daily (and go back in time to read your older posts!) I have found your blog really motivating and you have so many great ideas tips and reicpes. Many of these reicpes and ideas I have been trying out like overnight oats soooo goood! I am 27 and I have been trying to get my health back on track and I commited to change back on May 3rd this year. I lost about 30 lbs and started “to hit the wall” and get frusterated with the same food etc. Right about that time (one month ago) I came across your site and it was just what I needed to get back on track and I have since lost another 8 lbs… almost at 40 now! I have alot more to go but I am doing it and thinking of it as a life style change and not a diet thing. I wanted to tell you thank you for your blog because it has truly helped me get a grip and keep on pushing! The blogging you do has helped me and I am sure others as well and you should feel so good for that. I have found alot of other blogs like yours from your posts and on the web but I really favor yours the best. Keep doing what you are doing! Best of luck on the marathon training to you and Mal. -Stacey

Mandy A August 18, 2010 at 12:52 pm

That dress fits you perfectly! You looked great in it!

Crazy.. but the song that always takes me back is Eye Of The Tiger. LOL I was 4 when it was out… I remember freaking out and yelling for my mom to blare the radio cause I loved it!

Your breakfast is right up my alley! The more nut butter and banana, the better!

Taryn August 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

David Gray and Ray Lamontagne, that is a match made in heaven. I love both of those raspy singer-songwriters, they sing the soundtrack to my life!

Love your blog, keep up the awesome work.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

i still listen to a lot of old stuff i did in college and high school; i’m not too adventurous when it comes to discovering new stuff.

Katie @ peacebeme August 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm

That all looks so fun! I love beer! :)

Any songs that are classic rock/hair-band ballads remind me of my boyfriend. He’s in Afghanistan and I cry whenever they come on the radio, I am too emotional! ;)

Emily @ The Happy Home August 18, 2010 at 1:28 pm

my boyfriend and i like to goofily rock out around our house and club dance all over the place… it turns out our go-to song is now “pump up the jam.” whoops. that’s not going to be “our song” at the wedding, though. haha. but if i want to remember the best summer of college, it would have to be “leaving town” by dexter freebish– way too many hours driving through the dark streets of connecticut with that song blaring from my ford focus!

Lauren at KeepItSweet August 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm

All punk music reminds me of freshman year of college when I got really into that genre. So weird…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I didn’t know Ray had a new album out! I’m excited to check it out now. :D

I love songs that have memories associated with them! “The General” by Dispatch always reminds me of summers as a counsellor at camp.

Stephanie August 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My husband and I have seen David Gray a handful of times over the years, so it was only natural that “Be Mine” was our wedding song. We then traveled to London to see him for our 2nd anniversary. Yes, we are DG nerds, but his voice always takes me back to happy places. So jealous you got to see him last night…. This is the first round of US shows we’ve had to miss out on. Pout pout!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Looks like a great trip!

missfitbliss.com

Susan August 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Definitely Jack Johnson songs and me and my husband’s wedding song, ‘Sunshine of my Life’ by Stevie Wonder!

Btw, that cashew butter with banana combo looks delish! :)

Lindsey August 18, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The White Ladder CD totally reminds me of my early college days, and then his Life in Slow Motion CD is my grad school memories. I’m glad you enjoyed the concert, we’re seeing them play out in Santa Barbara early September – can’t wait!

Tina August 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm

@kate: The Oar and Juice & Java.

Tina August 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm

@Wei-Wei: Raw, I think?

Pearl Lee August 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

last night, i put on pandora radio and tuned it to Nsync radio. It also played a variety of Backstreet and Britney – I felt like I was back in middle school!

Kelly August 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

SOOO many songs bring me back impossible to list them all. I did think it was funny though that you really enjoy hearing new songs you don’t know at a concert, I’m the complete opposite I want to hear what I know, classics by the person (and some good ones that only true fans would know). I’m not as into hearing new ones, I figure I can hear those on the radio haha.

Hillary August 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

It’s the Sisterhood of the Travelling Dress ;) Cute!

Allison K August 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm

So many songs to chose from! Of course the song my husband and I danced to at our wedding (Forever, Ben Harper) but one of my strongest associations is “Take my breath away” it reminds me of my first boyfriend! ahhhh 14 year old “love.”

Di August 19, 2010 at 7:53 am

Dropkick Murphys’ The Gang’s All Here reminds me of my friends from college. I instantly get transported back to the house they lived in senior year and all of the fun we had. Then it makes me sad since I’m no longer there. ;) All Star by Smashmouth reminds me of high school. I rarely ever hear it, but when I do I can’t help but laugh at it. And anything at all by Dave Matthews Band reminds me of my best friends from high school.

I love Allagash White. It’s a great choice. I’m not sure I’ve ever been to the Atlantic Beer Garden (I’m rarely over that way when I’m in town) but I’ll have to give it a shot some time!

MichellePC August 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

My college girlfriends and I spent several Labor Day weekends in Block Island – I have so many fond memories from that place! And a song that brings me back is “Love Fool” by the Cardigan’s – it reminds me so much of my teenager days!