• How I Save Money at the Grocery Store

August 23, 2010

It’s a rainy, gray morning here in Boston, so I stayed under the covers with M & m instead of going to yoga like I had planned. I even laid out my yoga clothes and mat, but I shut off my alarm and went back to sleep. Looks like my warm, comfy bed won this morning!

Breakfast

I whipped up an oldie, but goodie for breakfast this morning: Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes. I totally destroyed the second pancake– it stuck to the pan and fell apart– so I didn’t include it in my photo. But, I can assure you it tasted better than it looked! ;-)

IMG_0008.JPG

I topped my Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes with honey, raisins, walnuts, and chia seeds. I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk with breakfast.

IMG_0004.JPG

Grocery Shopping 101

Continuing with my financial series, my next post is about how I save money at the grocery store. I aim to spend less than $75 per week and my bill usually comes in around $65-70. Here’s how I save money at the grocery store:

Grocery Shopping 101: Before I Leave the House

Grocery Shopping 101: At the Grocery Store (Part 1)

Grocery Shopping 101: At the Grocery Store (Part 2)

Grocery Shopping 101: Unit Price

Reorganize My Fridge

Tweet for Discounts

Sign Up For My Grocery Store’s Email Updates

Eat From the Pantry or Freezer

Taming the Coupon Chaos

There’s even more money-saving tips on Trading Up Downtown, including this morning’s guest post: Trading Up Without Paying Up.

Breville Juicer Raffle

Just a reminder that the raffle for the Breville Juicer ends tomorrow evening (Tuesday) at midnight. (I’ll announce the winner on Wednesday morning.) Be sure make your donation to our Team In Training page if you want a chance to win. You can check out the giveaway details here.

juice-4.jpg

Blog Bake Sale

Calling all bakers!!!

On Tuesday, September 7, I will host a Blog Bake Sale to benefit Team in Training! If you’ve never participated in a Blog Bake Sale, check out Meghann’s post about the rules and logistics. Her post is very detailed and explains how it all works. I’ll run the Blog Bake Sale on Carrots ‘N’ Cake in the same way.

If you’re interested in donating baked goods, please send me an email at carrotsncakeblog@gmail.com with your name, the baked good(s) that you would like to donate, a short description of it, and a photo and/or link to its deliciousness by Wednesday, September 1. You don’t need to be a blogger to participate. All baked goods are welcomed!

What are you favorite tips and tricks for saving money at the grocery store?

Lisa August 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I use a lot of manufacturer’s coupons plus the store’s own coupons. Sometimes you can double up on them and things are even cheaper!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Making a list before I go and sticking to it! It’s hard not to get distracted by so many options in the grocery store.

Mandy A August 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Thanks so much for the grocery shopping tips! I try to use coupons when I can to save some money but I’m not the best at finding where the deals are before I go. Now that my husband is unemployed, I NEED to be doing that! We spend wayyyyyy too much on groceries!

Steph@stephsbitebybite August 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh wow!! Can I please come over for breakfast at your place?

Laura August 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

One of my tips is to stock staples once a month at a store with the lowest price on those items (I made a spreadsheet and went to a few stores to compare prices. Wal-Mart ended up being cheapest for me for purchasing things like canned tuna, lentils, beans, etc). On a weekly basis I only have to purchase milk, bread, and produce (and occasionally and ingredient I forgot to purchase on my “big shop” day). My husband and I almost always eat all our meals and snacks at home (or make it and bring it with us) and spend about $350ish on groceries a month.

Another resource for those in the southeast is Grocery Czar: http://groceryczar.com/ They have an aggregator that shows you which stores have the lowest prices on certain items. Southern Savers (http://www.southernsavers.com/) is also a good resource. It shows you how to combine weekly sales with certain coupons to get the best deals. There may be similar sites for different parts of the country.

BroccoliHut August 23, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I don’t really have any original tips, but they work really well: clip coupons in the paper or online every Sunday; buy store brands; buy in bulk.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 23, 2010 at 1:55 pm

clipping coupons and generic buying, plus sticking to a list, is what i tend to do. plus buying all my organic stuff at farmer’s markets or trader joe’s

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the links – I started reading Trading-Up Downtown a few weeks ago so the names/links were very helpful! You have amazing tips! :-)

Katherine August 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Great tips! I always go with a list, I never go hungry, and I buy all my fruits and veggies from a local farmer’s market which I’ve found is less expensive than Trader Joe’s (where I do most of my shopping).

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) August 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I use a site called The Coupon Master http://thecouponmaster.com. You can pick out just the coupons you want instead of buying a Sunday paper with a bunch of coupons you won’t use! You pay just 5-10 cents per coupon, but if you pick the best coupons, the net savings is totally worth it!

Tess August 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Tina, what is your marathon training schedule this week?? x

Tina August 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

@Tess: It’s similar to last week!

Hannah August 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Eek, I love the new look of your blog! That pug graphic is so adorable, squee!!!!

Nicci (Nifty Eats) August 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I look through ads before shopping and I spend hr on Sundays clipping coupons. It really does Save money!

Jill August 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Maybe it’s because I live in The Silicon Valley, but my grocery bill is clearly too much! Must plan more..

Janna (janna's keeping it real) August 24, 2010 at 1:29 am

Your “unit price” post sure stuck with me the first time I read it. I *always* check that now! My tip is clip those coupons! You may feel dorky or like tour grandmother when you do it, but you will be amazed by how much you can save or get “free”!!!

Printable Coupons August 24, 2010 at 7:02 am

that looks yummy.. everybody wants to save money.. just like janna, i live clipping and printing those coupons too..

Rachel August 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I liked the post on shopping your pantry – I’ve been eating my way through various spaces, starting with the freezer. I made a bunch of meals that aren’t my normal thing in order to use up various frozen veg my ex-roommate left behind, plus ate anything of mine that had been there longer than a week. Now I have no more freezer burned foods, and a nice organized freezer!

Next up is the carb cabinet – soba noodles, rice, and dried beans ahoy!

Carolyn August 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I think you are great and love all your blogs…Keep up the good work…I want to see more places that you wined up in…

Jesenia Consigli January 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Fantastic website you got here, best content yet!