• Farris & Foster’s Fine Chocolates

August 29, 2010

After lunch at Pho 88, our group headed to a really neat chocolate shop in picturesque Baldwin Park. Farris and Foster’s Famous Chocolate Factory is a chocoholic’s heaven! But, you don’t just get to eat the chocolate– you get to make it too! :mrgreen:

_MG_6622.JPG

We got to get our hands dirty making our very own chocolates with some help from co-owner, J. Foster Lanenga, and his staff.

_MG_6689.JPG

_MG_6624.JPG

_MG_6635.JPG

“Foster” demonstrated the various techniques for making truffles, lollipops, peanut butter cups, and other goodies.

_MG_6640.JPG

And then he let us loose in his chocolate factory! :mrgreen:

_MG_6647.JPG

_MG_6665.JPG

_MG_6666.JPG

Chocolate-making is serious business to food bloggers!

_MG_6671.JPG

Or not so serious! :lol:

_MG_6673.JPG

Audi got a little crazy with the chocolate!!

_MG_6677.JPG

My favorite chocolate-making technique was the dipping machine. Farris and Foster’s had just about every edible treat imaginable that you would want to cover in chocolate, including peanut butter-filled pretzels, dried apricots, Oreos, brownies, caramel turtles, potato chips, and even whole Twinkies!

_MG_6649.JPG

Check this thing out!

_MG_6632.JPG

For my first attempt, I went with a bunch of peanut butter-filled pretzels.

_MG_6650.JPG

_MG_6653.JPG

_MG_6656.JPG

_MG_6657.JPG

Once my pretzels were covered in chocolate, I decorated them.

_MG_6645.JPG

Pretty! :mrgreen:

_MG_6662.JPG

After about an hour of making chocolate, we each left with a box full of our own creations to take home with us.

IMG_6664.JPG

How delicious do these look!?! Obviously, I’ve already dung into my stash! ;-)

_MG_6679.JPG

_MG_6681.JPG

_MG_6687.JPG

Making my own chocolates was such a blast! It’s no surprise that Farris and Foster’s is so popular. Their calendar is packed with fun chocolate-making events, including Girls’ Night Out, Date Night, Birthday Parties, and other speciality parties. I wish that Boston had something like this!

Caitlin August 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

That looks like a real life Willy Wonka, but without the risk of turning into a blueberry. That’s a convincing argument for visiting Orlando!

Kelly August 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That looks like so much fun! And delicious!

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm

That looks like so much fun! All of your goodies look delicious :) Chocolate-covered pretzels are my favorite. I could eat a whole bag in one sitting!

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun! I’d have a field day in a chocolate shop. Definitely a bunch of kids in a candy shop! ;)

Erica August 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

This place looks amazing! Chocolate covered pretzels are super tasty (something about that salty sweet that really does it for me). Hope the rest of your trip is fantastic

allie August 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

chocolate covered pb filled pretzels! yum! that place looks too fun.

Heather August 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm

OMG, I love chocolate!!! looks fab.

kate August 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

How could you not be having fun when chocolated covered peanut butter filled pretzels are involved!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

That is my idea of heaven, pure and simple.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm

fun! my fave snack ever could be chocolate and pretzels.

Emily August 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm

So jealous! This looks like a ton of fun. Good idea to make chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels. :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm

My dream hobby is to make chocolate all day and eat them too.

I’ve always wanted to go on a chocolate factory tour. I had a chance in Seattle for Theo’s chocolate, but ran out of time during the vacation and had to head home without my chocolate tour.

Jaime Fong August 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Oh My GOd! Sign me up for that!!!!

Jaclyn August 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm

That place looks SO COOL! I would love to make my own chocolate… getting to do it yourself without having to deal with set up or cleanup, sign me up!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) August 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Now that looks like my kind of day! Your choccies look awesome.

Alyssa August 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm

That looks like SO much fun! I wish Boston had something like that too =(

Mimi August 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm

All of your Orlando dining experiences sound amazing, but this one really takes the cake (chocolate?) I would kill to get in on some of that action!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 29, 2010 at 5:18 pm

One word: yum!! I can see how that place would be super popular.

I have now decided to change my life direction and go from law school to opening a be-your-own-chocolatier shop. Thank you Tina :)

Izzy August 29, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Oh my gosh, I’ve always wanted to go to Orlando for Disney Land…now I’m thinking I want to go for Farris & Foster’s Chocolate Factory!!!

izzyy
    xox

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Tina that looks like so much fun! Are you going to save some for Mal? :)

Katherine August 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm

That is so cool that you got to go to a chocolate factory!

KerriAnn August 29, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Boston has a chocolate making class at ChocoLee Chocolates. Its just came up on Groupon a few days ago but sold out too quickly for me – but I think I’m still going to try it out one of these days!

Julie August 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm

My in-laws live in Baldwin Park part of the year! I will have to visit the chocolate shop next time I’m there! Yum

gina (fitnessista) August 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

how did i now know about this place?! maybe my cousins will take me next weekend :)
    looks like you’re having an amazing trip!
    xoxo

Laura (Starloz) August 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I cant believe how funn that looks. I love your creations

Mary August 30, 2010 at 9:27 am

This looks like such a great time! I’d love to make my own chocolate! I just wanted to give you a heads up if you didn’t already know, your pictures are not viewable from ipads/smartphones!!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 30, 2010 at 10:33 am

Omg! I would love it there! (But then again I would probably eat ALL of the chocolate!) Haha!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Heaven. Plain and simple right there. ;)

Lisa @ Want Believe Achieve August 30, 2010 at 7:59 pm

look what I found in Boston…

it is a chocolate workshop at the Elephant and Castle Restaurant!