• Making Progress

July 21, 2010

Yowsahs!! Where has this day gone!?! It’s lunchtime and I haven’t even blogged yet. Jeez. Let’s get right to it then! :-D

Breakfast

I started my day with a piece of leftover Tortilla-Crusted Feta-and-Broccoli Quiche and an iced coffee with vanilla soy milk. The quiche was really yummy, by the way. I reheated it in the microwave and the tortilla crust stayed crispy.

IMG_0004.JPG

Snack

After breakfast, I snacked on a banana. I planned to go to a Body Pump class mid-morning, so I needed something more in my stomach to keep me going through a workout and until lunch.

IMG_0009.JPG

Workout

Body Pump kicked my butt today!! We’ve been doing Body Pump 74 for a few weeks now, but I haven’t been sore after class lately. So, today, I increased my weight on a number of tracks and, boy, did I feel the burn!

Here are my current Body Pump 74 weights (includes 3-pound bar):

• Warm-up: 23 lbs.
    • Squats: 43 lbs.
    • Chest: 33 lbs.
    • Back: 28 lbs.
    • Triceps: 28* lbs.
    • Biceps: 18 lbs.
    • Lunges: 33 lbs.
    • Shoulders: 28 lbs.
    • Abs: body weight
    • Cool down: none

I went up on every track except for back. There’s a million wide rows in the current BP 74, so I dropped my weight by 5 pounds. I don’t think I could get through the back track otherwise! Damn, wide rows.

I’ve definitely come a long way since February when I started to consistently take Body Pump classes 2-3 times per week. Just check out my February 2010 and March 2010 weights. I’ve increased quite a bit! I’m a beast, I tell ya! ;-)

*Body Pump 74 has an “unconventional” triceps track, so I use an 8-pound dumbbell for the kickbacks, 10-pound plate for the dips, and 15 pounds for the overhead extensions at the end. My usual weight is 28 pounds on a “standard” triceps track.

Lunch

After getting my butt kicked at Body Pump, I was more than ready to refuel with lunch. After a quick shower, I threw together a big salad topped with crumbled Buffalo Tofu and Athenos feta.

IMG_0010.JPG

I also drizzled a little Annie’s Creamy Asiago Cheese Dressing on top. Mmm!

IMG_0011.JPG

I also enjoyed another iced coffee with lunch. It’s one of those days!

IMG_0013.JPG

And here’s the mess on the table that was pushed aside to take the above photo. Oh, the life of a food blogger! ;-)

IMG_0014.JPG

And, of course, I had a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondie after lunch. So delish!

Feel Great Weight

When I first started losing weight it was all about the calories. I used to eat vegetables because they were low in calories and they’d help me lose weight. But, now things are really different! Check out my newest Feel Great Weight post: 3 Ways to Diet But Still Get the Nutrition You Need.

When it comes to fitness, how do you measure your progress?

P.S. Did you know it’s National Junk Food Day today? (I swear, there’s a national holiday for everything!) Check out my tips for enjoying a little splurge on the PerkStreet Financial blog.

Jennifer July 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

@Rachael: I agree! It’s amazing how many obscure holidays there are around food, and how many of them are unhealthy! One of our customers pointed that out when we ran a 5% cash back special at candy stores, so when this holiday came around I thought immediately of Tina’s great advice and knew we could run the deal AND help our customers keep healthy.

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I’m so pleased to discover it’s national junk food day (I cannot believe there is a day that celebrates junk food?!!) because that means I had a reason for eating both choclate and cake today! ; )

Tina July 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I love measuring progress through things like increased weight or stamina in cardio training. Much more motivating than focusing on weight or pants size.

And I had to laugh at pushing a mess out of the way for the picture. I do that every day.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm

National Junk Food Day???!!! Bring on the Fritos! lol I pretty much measure my workouts by each week. I try to balance my cardio and strength, only working out 5-6 days. Past there I don’t go too crazy.

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) July 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I am curious to know what you thought about the movie last night!!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I like to measure fitness by the way my clothes feel and by the distance (and speed) in which I can run! The numbers decreasing on the scale are certainly a bonus — so I like all three as ways!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I miss BodyPump so much!! But it’s definitely taught me moves I use in the gym everyday. As far as measuring my progress, I do so by seeing how many reps I can do with an increase in weights. If I’m sturggling too much, I push until I can’t anymore then do the rest with lower weights. Until the next time I work those muscles, then I start out with the higher weights and go from there!

Julie @ Pickley Pear July 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm

The quiche looks great! Way to go on the increased weight in Body Pump. You have come very far – you should feel great about that!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Mmm… that quiche looks gooooood!!

I measure my progress by strength and endurance, mainly endurance.

Jenn

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

oh my – those are some serious “weights” :) IT is quite amazing how quickly Body Pump gets your muscles asking for an increase in weights!

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Fitness comes down to pure strength and endurance for me. When I physically feel stronger or can run longer without feeling it then I know I’m progressing. Your body pump class looks like it went amazing, great workout!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Wow, you’re a tank! Way to go on those weights! :D

I used to measure my fitness by weight loss, but now I focus more on strength and my running endurance.

Hannah July 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm

That salad looks amazing! Such strong and vibrant flavours playing together :)

Katie July 21, 2010 at 11:19 pm

HAHAH! The picture you took of the table looks similar to what my table looks like. I always clear everything out of the way before I take a pic.

Marieke July 22, 2010 at 6:01 am

We only just started the new body pump in the UK. I agree with you, what were they thinking using “Don’t Speak”. Awful choice. I don’t know why we are behind so much?!

Wei-Wei July 22, 2010 at 8:23 am

Woah WHAT? 23 pounds?!?!??! Dude. I do the 30 Day Shred with 1.5 pound dictionaries and my muscles hurt. Damnit!

Wei-Wei

Julie July 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I measure my overall fitness by how well I feel, how my clothing fits, and by my breathing/heart rate during intense exercise.