• Just Call Me ‘Muscles’

July 27, 2010

Something crazy happened at Body Pump tonight: I increased my weight on biceps to 23 pounds!!! :mrgreen:

Ok, this probably doesn’t blow your mind at all, but this is a huge deal for me. I’ve been taking Body Pump classes, 2-3 times per week, for nearly 7 months now, but I have yet to increase my weight on biceps. It’s the only muscle group where I haven’t made progress.

Before the biceps track started, Mal saw me add the extra weight to my bar and gave me a funny look. He only lifts 5 pounds more, so I think he was a bit surprised that I was attempting more weight. I ended up only missing 3 or 4 reps during the entire track, which is pretty good, considering I went up in weight for the first time.

All of this Body Pump talk probably sounds kind of dorky, but I was really happy when I completed the track. Mal said he was routing for me the whole time and gave me a big high-5 when the song ended. He also called me “Muscles” a few times tonight. It was awesome! :-D

Lunch

Lunch was great today! I love summer salads! :-D

_MG_5041.JPG

In the mix: lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, red pepper, a ton of feta, and Goddess dressing. It was a fantastic combination of ingredients. Feta rules!

_MG_5043.JPG

_MG_5038.JPG

Snack

After lunch, I snacked on two Sandwich Thins with Barney Butter spread on top.

IMG_0001.JPG

Dinner

For dinner, I whipped up some cheese tortellini with grated Parmesan cheese and kale chips on the side. Quick and easy.

_MG_5052.JPG

While dinner cooked, I shared a chocolate protein shake with Mal.

_MG_5058.JPG

I also enjoyed a small glass of white wine with dinner. Great meal.

_MG_5051.JPG

For “dessert,” I had a ripe, sweet peach. Mmm!

IMG_0001.JPG

More Jersey Shore! We’re almost caught up with Season 1! :mrgreen:

Good night, folks!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 28, 2010 at 8:31 am

Are your barbells in lbs? Here they are in kgs.

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 28, 2010 at 8:31 am

Congrats! Weight training can be so empowering, don’t you think?

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly July 28, 2010 at 8:40 am

YAY for the weight increase on the bicep track! That is awesome honey!!!

Elina July 28, 2010 at 8:44 am

Haha, all my friends used to call me muscles in college. 23 lbs for biceps is insane – I totally know why you’re so excited. I used to do it but had to get down 5lbs last year and can’t go back now. Something to work towards. Hopefully my new weight lifting routine will get me there. :)

Tina July 28, 2010 at 8:51 am
    Hope July 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

That’s not dorky, that’s something to be proud of! Biceps are still my lightest weight at BP too, I have to use a Medium and a Small weight, and sometimes still have to stop, so GO YOU! :)

Heather @ The Single Dish July 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

Wow you are muscles! Go Tina! Great job!

Sami July 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

way to go, muscles! :) that’s awesome. your kale chips look SO much better than mine! what’s your trick? i just spray mine with pam and sprinkle garlic gold on them!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

Wahoo, muscles! I think it’s cool that Mal joins you in Body Pump! I’m going to the Y tonight with my husband and we’ll be hitting the weight machines. I hope I can get a real workout out of them. While I know how the machines work, I don’t know how to make a workout out of them. We’ll see how it goes!

stephanie@Avocado Nation July 28, 2010 at 10:31 am

Nice job on the weights!! You’re machine! My BF and I are doing P90X together and he is super encouraging too.

Megan (Braise The Roof) July 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

That salad looks awesome- did you use a flavored feta?

Sarah July 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

That’s awesome, Muscles:-)!
    I took a Body Pump class on Monday for the first time in probably a couple of years. It still kind of hurts to walk!

Laura J. July 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

That’s impressive girl!! The bicep track is so challenging!! I went up a few pounds yesterday and I was dying! The lunges track is a toughie too! I’m feeling the hurt today!

Barbara(Blood, Sweat and Heels) July 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

Tina!!!!!

Congrats, that is a BIG deal! I remember when all
    I could use were those dinky 5lb weights and now…curling the 60lb bar. It happens..just takes time and motivation:)

B

Ananda July 28, 2010 at 11:41 am

It’s pretty cool that you have a class (Body Pump) that you can take with your husband and both be challenged. I feel like I would be more motivated if my bf would work out with me but he has no desire. It’s really frustrating.

Mary (A Merry Life) July 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

You are a Body Pump champion! Hehe.

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 28, 2010 at 12:31 pm

You should be proud of your pumpin’ body! Arms are the hardest muscle group for me too

katie July 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm

You’re so buff! I need to try one of those classes.

Holly July 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Ok. You have inspired me. I have looked up BodyPump classes at my gym and have created a monthly schedule. Cant wait to check it out!

Ellen July 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I’ve been going to Body Pump for two months, because of your recommendations! I don’t think I would have tried it otherwise! I love it!

Katie July 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That is awesome!! I can’t imagine 23 lbs on the biceps. I think I mistakenly put that much on the very first time I did body pump and I thought my arms were going to be ripped off my body. Do you bring something in to jot your wts down on? I can never remember.

Tina July 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

@Katie: I just use my noodle and remember them.

Jean July 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Congrats on the weights. I just started body pump last week and I can’t imagine getting to the weights you are at…but just reading that gave me some motivation.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) July 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I loved the name of this post! It made me laugh :-D Thanks! Go Tina, I’m proud of you!

Shannon's Food Runs July 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Haha, “Muscles” can be your Jersey Shore nickname. Or maybe “biceps!” Great job upping the weight – that’s a lot for a tough track! I love watching Jersey Shore btw – I grew up right across the bridge from there in Toms River (where the jail is), so I get kind of nostalgic for the boardwalk while watching the train wreck that is Jersey Shore :)

Shannon's Food Runs July 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm

@Allie: Whoa whoa whoa – SH is Central-Shore! It’s the people who come down from the North that bring down the trash every summer, haha. I went to school there and we were in the “South Jersey” district for orchestra. And now everyone knows that I’m an orchestra dork who defends her sleazy hometown, haha.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) July 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Congrats on the weight increase! I’ve seriously slacked off in the weight training department (not haivng a gym membership anymore might have a bit to do with it), so reading about your Body Pump triumphs is a real inspiration.

That tortellini looks delicious, Muscles!

Melanie July 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Great job on the increase! I feel like such a wimp when I read your body pump weights :) but it inspires me to keep working harder.
    Love your blog.

Alexa@Running the Road to Recovery July 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

You make Body Pump sound so cool! I wish someone in Anchorage would offer the class so I could try! But alas, we up here in the frozen North have limited options :(

Maria July 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Congrats on the weight increase! I am obsessed with Body Pump so I understand the proud feeling:)

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Good job at Body Pump. It’s not dorky at all – you should celebrate your acheivements!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Congrats on increasing your weight. That’s really exciting.

Ali @ Redhead Reports July 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Great job on your strength training – it’s always fun to notice your improvements!

amanda July 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Awesome job with moving up in weights!! BTW, I have been enjoying peaches too. delicious!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write July 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm

It cracks me up you love Jersey Shore. I have to admit though, we watch the Kardashians :p

shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Those are serious weights!! I have not been feeling “noodleish” lately when leaving pump so I know that it is time to up my weights.

Jennifer July 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm

@Shannon’s Food Runs: @Allie: The cast of Jersey Shore are not from New Jersey…. They are all from NY except for Sammi…

Jennifer July 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

When you say 23 pounds does that mean per bicep or total?

Tina July 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

@Jennifer: Total. For 5 minutes straight without stopping.

Tina July 28, 2010 at 8:59 pm

@Jennifer: And Pauly D, who is from Rhode Island.

Jennifer July 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm

@Tina: Yup! Not NJ ;)

MB July 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Hey Muscles – Great Job!

chandra July 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Ah! Congrats on upping your bicep weight!! I’ve been tempted to up mine lately on bis and tris (I’m not lifting as much as you though!) but I’m SO nervous that I won’t be able to finish the reps and I can’t do that as an instructor! :( You’ve inspired me though, maybe one of these days I’ll try it!

Lauren July 30, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Hey Tina, I have been reading your blog for quite a while, but have been a silent reader..until now. I have a question about your body pump class. They offer it at my gym and I’m afraid to try it. Do you have to build up before you take the class? I’m afraid I won’t be able to complete the tracks or will be too sore for the next few days to do anything. What do you think? Do you have any tips for a newbie? Thanks!

Tina July 31, 2010 at 9:02 am

@Lauren: Anyone can take Body Pump! Just let the instructor know that you’re new to class before you start. It’s a great workout!

Lexie September 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

Hey Tina! I just started doing body pump about a month ago. First off, whoa that is a lot of weight for biceps…I wish I could do that :) Congratulations!

Also, I would love for you to do a post about the weight you used in the tracks when you first started and how soon and by how much you increased your weight. I always thought I was pretty strong until I started doing BP and seeing ladies in their 50′s and 60′s doing lifting more than me!! lol.

Emily November 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I know this is an old one, but I <3 reading about progress!