• Do Dogs Belong In Restaurants?

July 26, 2010

Good morning and happy Monday! :-D

The weather is gorgeous here in Boston today. It’s almost fall-like with the sun shining and a cool breeze. It was the perfect morning to sleep in, but, for some reason, it gave me energy to start my day. The thought of overnight oats waiting in my refrigerator helped too! ;-)

_MG_4939.JPG

In the mix:

• 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
    • 1/4 cup French Vanilla Mad Hectic oatmeal
    • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
    • 1/4 cup water
    • Chia seeds
    • Chopped dates
    • 2 scoops of Barney Butter

_MG_4944.JPG

And, as always, I enjoyed a wonderful glass of iced coffee with breakfast.

_MG_4948.JPG

So, over the weekend, I stumbled upon this article: Do Dogs Belong In Restaurants? At first, I thought: Of course, they do! Dogs rule.

Ever since I visited Norm’s in Seattle last summer, I’ve been obsessed with the idea of dog-friendly restaurants. In fact, Marie and I have dreams to open a “dog bar” someday. We just need to get our husbands on board! ;-)

norm.jpg

But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that having dogs in restaurants could potentially pose some serious health and safety issues– for the customers, servers, and dogs themselves– so maybe it wasn’t a good idea after all.

norm's.jpg

There’s so many layers to the argument as seen in the comment section of the above article, which brings me to today’s Question of the Day.

Do you think dogs belong in restaurants?

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss July 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I’d say yes to having dogs outside at restaurants with patios … but I don’t think I’d want a dog inside a restaurant. If I want to eat dog hair, I’ll stay home.

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm

As much as I love animals, I don’t think pets should be brought to restaurants. It’s just not the right place for them.

Stephanie July 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I think it would be nice to have a few places that allow them inside, but as a general statement I don’t think they should be allowed. It’s kinda like young children – some places are appropriate and some aren’t. I don’t like bringing my dog to eat, though, because I am constantly worried about her barking at another dog or another dog barking at her .. and basically ruining what should be a peaceful experience!

Michelle July 26, 2010 at 7:13 pm

This is a common debate in our household – we would love to take our Weimaraner Ada with us everywhere if we could. I think she would do pretty well in a lot of places – she’s extremely docile in new environments. You better believe we’d be the first to take her to a restaurant that was dog-friendly! But I’m not sure I could ever trust her if we were walking through the meat section in the supermarket ;)

Emilyeatsclean July 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm

As much as I love animals AND dogs….they don’t really belong inside a restaurant unless they are a service dog. But I do like restaurants that have outdoor porches/seating that are dog friendly. :)

Patty July 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Absolutely!! I raise guide dog pups and I take them everywhere.
    They need to be socialized and taught proper manners when out
    in public. So, if other people are bringing their pets they need to be
    properly trained as well. And of course the owner needs to be
    prepared for the occational embarrasing “accident” that is bound
    to happen.

Carla in Sydney July 26, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I just bought myself a “dog stroller” for my Jack Russell. This way, we can walk him to the cafe and then zip him into his stroller while we are eating so he can’t annoy anybody but he still gets to join us. Of course, he can’t go inside the cafe even in his “stroller”. I get some rather weird looks from people who must think I am crazy but it works for me. I love my dogs more than anything in the world but I am fully aware that not everybody feels the same. We always choose places to eat that are very quiet (which often means not the greatest food!) and sit away from other people in case they don’t like dogs.

Jillian July 26, 2010 at 9:00 pm

@Jessica: Ha- I agree! I’d honestly rather go to a restaurant full of dogs than a restaurant full of children any day.

Tina July 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@Jillian: LOL! Me too! :)

Kelly July 26, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I am a dog lover and would love to bring my Rascal into restaurants. But I see the point about cleanliness. Some dogs are not as squeaky clean and many are not as well cared for as my pup. I don’t want to eat beside some flea-ridden mangy dog.

However, I do take some issue with restaurants who have outside seating that don’t allow dogs in this area. If my dog is well behaved, I should be able to sit outside at a table with him. Restaurants should reserve the right to ask you to leave if your dog is a nuisance but allow well behaved dogs the privilege of being with their owners. My dog would rather be with me than stuck at home any day

Semuteh July 26, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Absolutely not! I think it’s gross. I definitely would not eat at a restaurant that was dog friendly (just like I don’t shop at stores that let owners bring pets). As much as people love their pets, they should realize that not everyone wants to be stepping over them, smelling them, being licked by them, etc. yuck!

Hannah July 26, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I’m obsessed with dates at the moment! I think that if dogs are allowed in restaurants, it should be made clear to everyone. My mother is allergic to dogs, so we’d need to know in advance so we could avoid the place :(

Beverly Pechin July 27, 2010 at 5:00 am

I know locally animals are not allowed where foods are sold/eaten due to health codes. They present a lot of issues (hair in the food for one, which since you’re a dog owner you can attest if you haven’t eaten a dog hair today you’re life’s just not complete LOL). Of course “working dogs” are always an exception.

Add to that the fact that not all pet owners are intelligent & good pet owners who keep dogs up to date on shots, etc. and that poses health issues for the other dogs around them. Or some who think that even though their “Fido” is slightly dog aggressive or even people aggressive “he’ll be ok, I have him under control” can end up ruining a nice evening for someone who’s dog isn’t aggressive. Then you have those who literally fear dogs & as so many mentioned are allergic.

While I totally love my puppies, I really think the best place for them is at home or in the park or wherever… but not in public areas in most cases. We won’t even go near the “marking their territory” thing either! LOL Can you imagine sitting on the barstool when Fido next to you decides that’s HIS stool? YIKES!

Stephanie July 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

If the restaurant allows it and it’s billed as “pet-friendly”, I don’t see why not. If it’s made clear, then other potential patrons can make the decision whether they’d like to be around them or not. But some people aren’t good pet owners and/or haven’t socialized their pets properly, which can make for a very stressful and dangerous environment for the pet and other customers. Outside patios, depending on the location and space, are a different story. You probably end up with just as much hair and stuff floating around just because you were outside, so I don’t see how a dog ON the patio would make that much of a difference.

Becky @ Gimme That Becky July 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

The place is billed as a pet-friendly restaurant, so people who don’t like dogs shouldn’t go there. Also, if the dog isn’t bothering you I don’t really see the problem. People who have pets should know if they’re capable of behaving at a restaurant. My dog would DEFINITELY not qualify.

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun July 27, 2010 at 11:06 am

Sorry, I don’t think dogs (or any animal) belong in restaurants – too many health concerns. Same thing with doctors offices – there is this one dentist near me that has a monkey in a cage in the same room as the dentist works on patients. Ew!

-Erika

Jen July 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I’ve been living in Germany for 2 years now, and I’ve noticed that Germans bring their dogs absolutely everywhere! I’ve seen dogs on the subway, in restaurants, shopping, you name it! I think it’s nice to see the pooches out with their people, and the dogs are all very well trained, so it works.

Sarah-Jane July 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm

That’s quite common in Europe… In Amsterdam you can take your dog anywhere. And in London I have seen people take cats onto buses on leads : )

Ananda July 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I would have to go with No on this one. Too many people have these unruly, disobedient dogs and I think it would just cause chaos. Many of the owners of out of control dogs are so used to the poor behavior that they don’t even notice it but to the rest of us it can be appalling….
    Not to mention all the pet hair – GROSS!