• The Donkey

June 7, 2010

There are a half dozen loops around our neighborhood where I walk Murphy. Now that we’ve lived in this area for 4 months now, I didn’t think there would be too many surprises on our walks. I mean, Murphy goes for 3 walks a day, every day, so we cover a lot of the same ground again and again.

Well, both yesterday and today, Murphy has been totally bugged-out by this donkey planter in one of the yards that we frequently pass by. We’ve walked by this yard a hundred times, so I find it pretty amusing that he suddenly noticed it. I’m not sure if Murphy is scared or just intrigued? Maybe he thinks it’s another dog? He doesn’t bark at the donkey; he just stares and stares until I pull him away.

Yikes! 😯

Poor guy. I think he’s more afraid of the donkey than interested in becoming friends. (I still think it’s pretty funny! 😆 )

Ok, you guys are going to think I am crazy, but trust me on this one! 😉

For lunch today, I ate maple yogurt with roasted chickpeas and granola. I know, I know. It sounds gross, but I SWEAR it wasn’t! I used Mama Pea’s recipe for Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas (minus the apple cider vinegar), added them to maple-flavored yogurt, and threw in some Vanilla Almond Galaxy Granola just for fun.

Roasting chickpeas gives them a nice, firm texture, so it was like eating little chewy balls, which were mixed into my yogurt. I swear, it was tasty! 😉

Mid-afternoon, I had the urge to do some baking. After my Lentil Brownie experiment, I was determined to bake something delicious using lentils. I came with Whole Wheat Banana-Walnut Muffins, which I enjoyed with melted butter and peanut butter just a little while ago.

_MG_2042.JPG _MG_2032.JPG

These babies taste just like regular ol’ banana muffins, but you get an extra fiber and protein boost from the lentils.

Whole Wheat Banana-Walnut Muffins

Makes 6 muffins

• 2 ripe bananas
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup cooked lentils
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

• Preheat oven to 350*F.
    • Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
    • Coat muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
    • Pour batter evenly into muffin cups.
    • Bake for 15-20 minutes until muffins are cooked through.
    • Allow to cool before eating.
    • Eat and enjoy!

Healthy Eating and Living Seminar

I thought some of the locals might be interested in this event at the end of the month: Healthy Eating and Living Seminar with Best-selling Author Brett Blumenthal.

I’m thinking about attending myself, so if there’s some interest, maybe we can turn it into a blogger meet-up? Email me if you might want to go!

P.S. I finally updated my recipe page!! :mrgreen:

Marissa June 7, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Pumpkin spice roasted chickpeas and maple yogurt together sound delicious!

Dogs are so cute; my boy is terrified of this one drainage sewer that we’ve passed on our walks everyday for the past 9 years. All of the other ones he’s okay with… but this one FREAKS him out! He’ll run clear across the street to get away from it!

Wendy Irene June 7, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Good job updating your recipe page! Get it done Tina! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Murphy staring at the donkey reminds me of my old lab Indy growling at a black lab statue my grandparents got my dad for Christmas one year. He growled at it for weeks, and we finally had to move it to a room that he couldn’t go into so he’d stop freaking out!! Too funny, I love dogs and the silly things they do :)

Roasted chickpeas in yogurt sounds just crazy enough to work…the things we bloggers come up with sometimes!! Hope you have a great night!

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes June 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Hahaha those pictures with the donkey are so hilarious and adorable, I love that he just stares at them! Sneaking beans into sweet things is so awesome, keep the recipes coming!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I love the silly pictures you take of Murphy. I like to picture what he’s thinking in his doggy mind. That donkey doesn’t look like he wants to be friends.

Kelly June 7, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Aww that event at Gordons looks fun but I have plans with some work friends that night- its kind of like my work bachelorette party haha. Oh well :)

Jessica June 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm

For a healthier version of the muffins, replace brown sugar with CANE SUGAR and Canola oil with Olive!
    Ensure walnuts are organic (along with most other ingredients)!
    For added touch and flavor, perhaps adding some CAROB chips would be lovely!

If anyone tries this alternate version, let me know how you like it! :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 7, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Those muffins look like they turned out fabulous!

Is that the cover of his book? I’m intrigued!

Kait June 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm

sounds like an interesting lunch…I think I would love those roasted chickpeas all by themselves though, yum!

Hannah June 7, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I don’t think that combination is gross at all! I love roasted chickpeas, and have had chocolate with raosted edamame before, so I completely get this!

Also, maybe you should tell Murphy to stop being an ass? 😀 😀

Emilyeatsclean June 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Maybe Murphy is swooning over donkey. Girlfriend?!!? :)

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm

murphy is so hilarious! my dog gets scared of the most random things – like cars covered with cloth and plastic bags.

hemp jogger June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm

that donkey planter reminds me of that ‘smoking donkey’ ellen used to have on her show, on the coffee table. remember…the little thing released a cigarette out its butt? thought if anyone remember that, itd be you tina…since we are both obsessed w/ ellen :)

Amber K June 7, 2010 at 11:54 pm

awww….your puppy is so cute! I can’t wait to get a house so we can have a dog.

Beverly Pechin June 8, 2010 at 5:23 am

OMG Murph’s face is priceless there!

OKAY… question about the roasted chick peas. I’m not normally a chick pea fan, mainly because of texture. When you roast them do they get “hard” and not mushy? or do they bake softer? Just curious. The recipe sounded really neat but I can’t stand the mushiness of a chick pea & it’s texture. However, hummus is just fine? LOL I dunno, don’t ask me to explain my weirdness!

Tracy June 8, 2010 at 6:30 am

Just wondering. Doesn’t flax seed have Omega 3’s? Because don’t you already use that almost daily? What are your thoughts?

Tina June 8, 2010 at 6:51 am

@Tracy: Read my post from Saturday morning. I explain the different types of omega-3’s. :)

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

Poor Murphy! I wonder what he is thinking when he sees this donkey nemesis!? Haha.

Shannon's Food Runs June 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

Haha, I love Murphy! Your blog is convincing me to get a pug (and eat healthier, bla bla, haha)

Laurennnn June 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I dont want to creep you out, but… THIS CHICKPEA IN YOGURT THING IS A M A Z I N G. I am going to try it today!! It looks so delicious. You mind = genius

Tristan Kampman June 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Cute pup! Don’t forget to join us for the Fat Swap and convince your readers to do the same. So many chances to win some more Galaxy Granola. 😉

Jaclyn December 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I love this one – sooooo funny! 😀

Bigmommie October 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I really like your blog, but i LOVE Murphy. He is the best! We have a BT, Fygg, very big much (vbm) like Murphy. He has his own language, huge balls (eyeballs), and many of the same mannerisms and looks. One day Fygg would like to to go on a DAT (date) wyss Murphy. Would you like to show Murphy a picture of Fygg?

Mother of Fyggdog